Razors You Wish You Had

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Nov 1, 2019.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Just what it says. What is that 1 (or more) razor you don't have now but wish you did?

For me, it would be a reasonably priced Fatboy. Would love to have one but can't quite do the prices most people want for them.

So, what's yours?

2. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Mine would be a reasonably priced Gillette Toggle and an Eclipse Red Ring.

kjbarth, AGHisBBS, brit and 1 other person like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

First Fat Boy I saw in the wild had a $45 price tag. I knew that was ebay value and passed it by. Within days I found another for $5. Still have it. That was during the second half of 2015. Since then I've cleaned out every thrift and antique store, flea market, garage and estate sale within 60 miles. The good news is those dozen or more Fat Boys, Slims, and Black Beauties were all less than $15 each. They've all found new homes being used by folks instead of sitting on shelves. Got an NDC Super Adjustable 109 that shaves fairly well going into The Traveling Box shortly. If it was as good as the first E4 1959 #195 I'd think about keeping it. No shelf sitters in my den!

While I like the looks of some of the modern DE & SE razors, I'm not dropping over a hundred bucks for one. The list of vintage pieces I desire is short. A type F Schick injector, & a Cooper Monobuilt. There are a few others, but not that I'd drop big money to own.

4. segnod

segnod New Member

1. RazoRock Game Changer 0.68 open comb. (No such thing, but I'm asking Santy Clause to make it happen.)
    2. Charcoal Goods stars and stripes handle in stainless steel. (I know that's not a whole razor. I don't know if this handle was ever made or not, but I want one. I have one in copper, and it might be my favorite handle. Need a stainless model to screw onto steel razors. Like maybe the RR GC 0.68 open comb I don't have.)

kjbarth, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

brit gillette popular,u.s ranger tech,schick black handle e type,schick f type...one day..:)..

kjbarth, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

About the only thing I would like is a Gem Jewel or an Ever Ready Streamline.

I doubt I will ever get one as the price has reached levels more than I would want to pay.

gorgo2, kjbarth, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Either the Schick B3 or Schick E1. Both extremely rare (Ive only ever seen one B3 for sale and never an E1 offered).

kjbarth, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

NOS Toggle is one I've always wanted. Well, any nice looking toggle would make me.happy.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Building your wishlist off other people's unicorns? :p Very well, let's list off some unobtainium:

Roller guard razor
    Rythmic Razor
    1914 Aristocrat
    Walbusch B5 adjustable slant
    Float-o-Flex razor
    Cooper MonoBilt with knurled handle
    Gillette cased Big Fellow
    PAL adjustable
    Doubleduck Napoleon

I'll add others ss I think of them.

Swing razor
    Le Coq Réglable (adjustable)
    Gillette bottom dial
    Streamline
    Weck surgical prep SE razor
    Darwin

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    kjbarth, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  10. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Cooper mono-bilt that is my holy Grail!

kjbarth, AGHisBBS, Angelo85 and 2 others like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Leresche 77.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Gillette toggle and a bottom dial.

13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Seen a lot of Toggles in this thread. It's not on my list, and here's why:

It's actually not that great of a design. The Fatboy improved on it in almost every way. Most egregiously, the toggle mechanism will destroy the razor plating over time.

For about the same price, I'd rather have a modern day version in stainless, like the Janus. But if I'm going to spend $500 on an adjustable, I'd rather have the rythmic razor.

Jim99, kjbarth, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Toggles are one of the most overrated razors. I understand people's fascination with them because of the lever mechanism but that is all the razor has going for it. I've owned a few now and I never wanted to keep any of them since the shave is meh. With that said on a good day you can sell a Toggle for $300 or better so they are worth buying if you can pick them up cheap enough regardless of condition as long as they work mechanically. I've financed quite a few razors in my collection flipping Toggles.

kjbarth, RyX, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The Le Coq adjustable shows up quite a bit for sale on the french ebay site but more times than not they are either way overpriced or in a condition that is almost unusable.

The Pal adjustable if you mean an injector is not that uncommon of a razor, what is uncommon is to find one that works correctly.

16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The 2011 R41 killed of off my RAD forever. I have two and am looking for more.

MR41, Keithmax, jgreenepa and 5 others like this.
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well....
    I would love to have a razor that shaves like a Razorock Blackhawk V1 with Feather super professional blades in it.
    Only the blades last 5 times as long at only 1/5th the price.

A man can dream can't he???
    tp

kjbarth, cliffb599, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  18. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

A few months ago I scored a Cooper Monobilt from eBay for, if I remember correctly, $45 with free shipping. The seller didn’t realize they had a Monobilt; they just listed it as a Cooper razor. The flip top works very well and holds together nicely.

kjbarth, cliffb599, RyX and 3 others like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Sounds like you need a shake sharp with feather DE's. Or use carbons and get a month of shaves.

gorgo2, kjbarth, brit and 1 other person like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks
    So far the carbon blades aren't up to the task, compaired to a Feather. Gotta look up the shake sharp.
    tp