proraso

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by haroldwashington, Oct 26, 2019.

1. which of the proraso shave products is best for guys who have the MOST SENSITIVE SKIN WHEN SHAVING AGAINST THE GRAIN? which proraso shave cream would work best for men who have the MOST SENSITIVE SKIN IN THE WORLD WHEN IT COMES TO SHAVING AGAINST THE GRAIN???? also, where online can i buy such a proraso cream or product for guys who have the most sensitive skin when shaving against the grain??? amazon, ebay, alibaba, ect......... i live here in houston but would like to order online instead. can anyone help me out here??? how many proraso products should i buy if i have extremely sensitive skin when shaving against the grain?????? rsvp.

Shaver X and RyX like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Welcome to TSD

Either the blue or the white Proraso cream in the tube.
    It’s pretty popular so lots of vendors carry it.
    Italian Barber has it.

MrDaniel's and johnnyflake like this.
  3. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Don't shave against the grain perhaps?

Shaver X, ghostlife and MrDaniel's like this.
  4. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

This would be my suggestion as well.

And why does it have to be Proraso? I don't have anything against Proraso, i use it myself all the time, but i'm just curious.

Shaver X likes this.
  5. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

An extra pass or two, with the grain, should solve that issue.

I believe that Palmolive Shave Cream, has a sensitive grade, but even if not, the original provides a super smooth shave.

MrDaniel's likes this.
  6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

To shave ATG I use a light touch and just let the edge glide over the skin, hardly touching and not enough to depress the skin. Blow out your cheeks if that helps. I also move in a diagonal direction from jaw corner to cheek bone. I got this idea from an old Torrey shaving guide.

Shaver X and MrDaniel's like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'd vote blue, but a few points have been raised that should be reconsidered.
    1) why proraso? If your looking for the slickest, my advice would be Truefitt&Hill ultimate comfort.
    2) against the grain, is your rationale to not getting the smoothness, to blame your lather? Could it be your heavy handedness is why you get irritation? If your fairly confident in your ability, may i suggest trying a milder razor and an effort to be lighter handed.
    Irritation aside, chemical, medical, or technical. Only comfort-ly speaking I find I get more comfortable shave when i don't try so hard, and normally with a milder razor.
    My last bit of advice is to make sure whichever lather you end up using, has a sheen to it before the pass. Do this by dipping the tips of your brush in warm water and wetting an already made lather. This last bit of hydration will slicken up to get your against the grain pass your searching for.
    Good luck, smooth shaves.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    wristwatchb and MrDaniel's like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @haroldwashington! Glad you joined us. Now we can talk about it.
    I use several Proraso products often. I like their Red (sandalwood), Green (menthol & eucalyptus), and White (teatree & oatmeal) lines. I've also used their Blue balm. As to how many of their products should you buy? Just the one that works best for you. The White Line is marketed as for Sensitive Skin so it might be a good places to start.

You didn't mention what brand of razor or blades you are using. If you've recently switched from cartridge razors to a double edge, there's a difference in how you use the razors. Cartridge shavers with all those lube strips, pivoting heads, and wrap around guard bars just about require pressing the razor to your skin to make contact. A DE razor has much more blade exposure & the head is fixed to the handle. Getting the correct angle and using a light touch may be the cure to reducing your razor burn. Many wet shavers have found thinking "beard reduction" can lead to more comfortable shaves. Take the first pass WTG, second pass XTG, and if you really need it the third pass ATG. Knowing which way your facial hair grows might mean it's not strictly North to Sough, or Ear to Nose.

I hope we can guide you to getting better shave. Keep asking questions!

wristwatchb and Carson West like this.
  9. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Harold, to add to the good advice already posted, not everyone's skin can handle shaving against the grain. But a way to do it with minimal irritation is what's called "riding the cap." You place your razor's head flat against your face and tilt it until the blade is just beginning to contact your skin. And as suggested above, use as little pressure as possible. Usually the weight of the razor alone is sufficient. You'll find that it's less irritating to make more strokes over an area of your face with minimal pressure than to increase the pressure and speed things up.

Don't bend your wrist. It's easier to follow the contours of your face if you lock your wrist. And don't make your razor's strokes too slow or the blade won't slice smoothly through the whiskers. But don't make them too fast either. Experiment

Some guys find they can get a good close shave with minimal irritation if they make three passes. I find two passes give me the best results. You need to experiment to find the products and techniques that work best for you. Everyone is different. With each pass you make in a particular direction, keep going over every area until you no longer feel and hear hair being removed before moving to the next area.

Definitely experiment with blades and razors to find the ones that work best for you. Buy a blade sampler and a few razors. Here's a list of some online vendors who sell shaving gear:

Italian Barber
    West Coast Shaving
    Maggard's Razors
    Shave Nation
    Smallflower Apothecary
    Amazon sells shaving gear, but I've heard people complain about receiving counterfeit products.

And besides all the information you can get on this great site you're on now, a good teacher is a guy who calls himself "Mantic 59." He's produced really good articles and videos on all the fundamentals of shaving. You can find his articles on a site called "The Sharpologist," and his videos on You Tube. I've also found other guys with You Tube channels to be helpful when I was starting out.

A couple very inexpensive razors that work real well and that I'd suggest for beginning wet-shavers are the Wilkinson Sword Classic and the Feather Popular. They're both very mild. And Astra Superior Platinum blades agree with many faces. But do experiment. Have fun!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

If you have the most sensitive skin in the world when shaving against the grain, then you should not shave against the grain, at least not for now. I recommend perfecting your shaving technique shaving with the grain, and then a second pass across the grain. If your technique is already well developed, then Kiss My Face Moisture Shave cream is worth trying in addition to the Proraso. If you have an Art of Shaving store near you, they have free sample packs consisting of pre-shave oil, shaving cream, and aftershave balm. They are also worth trying, just to see how they work. Once you find a technique and shaving cream that works really well, then would be the time to try shaving against the grain again for a third pass.

As others have mentioned, it would help us give you better recommendations if you let us know what razor, blades, shaving soap or cream, etc. you are using. Do you get any irritation shaving with the grain or across the grain? Do you shave right after taking a shower? Any details you can provide about your shaving routine will help us give you better answers.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Eh...THE WHITE ONE.

Better yet, use Kiss my Face shave cream. It works with or without a brush.

Even better, don't shave against the grain. I get a perfectly good shave, three passes, without once shaving against the grain. I used to think that I had sensitive skin too.

RyX, Shaver X and brit like this.
  12. what bricks and mortars stores sell truefitt and hill????? thrifty now known as rite aid, kmart, target, ect...???? rsvp

13. well i prefer to use multiblade razors because they give me a closer shave? rsvp

Shaver X, MrDaniel's and RyX like this.
  14. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

:signs131:

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

There's a fine line between a close shave and an irritated shave. Doing a mental shift to beard reduction & accepting less than BBS can make your shaves more comfortable.

I might also question the idea of multiblade carts giving a closer shave. They require pressing the razor head against the skin to make blade contact. That's the way to an irritating razor burn. It's why many of us have switched to other types of razors.

Carson West, MrDaniel's and brit like this.
  16. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Maggard Razors

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Yeah, Maggard's will hook you up.

18. Todd Pedlar

Todd Pedlar Well-Known Member

While you can get it at Maggard's, I believe the OP wants a store he can walk into in order to pick it up (and Maggard's does have a physical location, but it might be really far from where he is :) ). To answer the original queston, I'm not sure you'll find many, if any, that actually sell it from a physical location. I would just order it online (but beware it will be much, much more expensive than Proraso, which will give you a reasonably good lather. I might also suggest trying soaps like those from DR Harris, which I find give somewhat better protection than most creams. I also would repeat just about everyone's advice simply to avoid ATG if you get irritated. You can get quite close shaves by doing multiple XTG passes. Your issues can be solved both by better technique and by good soap/cream products - and I would emphasize the choice of technique as the more important, in this case.