hot or cold water

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by haroldwashington, Nov 3, 2019.

1. between hot, warm, and cold water, which one will soften facial hair the most????? i only ask because i usually take a hot shower during the winter time. rsvp.

Frijolero, Shaver X and RyX like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Hot showers can diminish oils in your skin that keeps you healthy. The same would apply to your face. Cold water is recommended and I don't think the temperature makes a difference to soften beard hair. And yes, I'm a cold water shaver to minimize skin irritation when shaving.

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  3. dimish oils? please explain.

4. jimjo1031

Your skin contains natural oils which protect the skin to keep it moist and smooth. Hot water takes them off.

Shaver X likes this.
  5. then why have i been told that after showering for some people its good to use a hot towel then? why hot towel? rsvp

6. jimjo1031

To soften the beard most likely. But I never noticed a difference between that and doing cold water shaves.

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hot water for sure. Anyone who tells you different is a cold water shaving heretic. There, I said it. :angelic007:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Lancre, BamaT, PanChango and 9 others like this.
  8. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

I guess i'm somewhere in between. I enjoy cold water shaves in the summer, but at winter i do use lukewarm water.

McCrae, wristwatchb and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

:cool:
    +1
    I might use warm water a couple shaves during January.
    Rest of the year is cool tap water baby!

10. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Mr Gillette would tell you to use cold water.
    Italian Barbers would tell you to use as hot as you can.

For me, soap is a detergent anyways so hot or cold water is irrelevant regarding oils, they will get washed away and i notice a significant difference in stubble if i use a pre-shave hot face wash with soap.

If you can face can take it, a hot hot pre-shave wash with soap will clean the skin and really soften up the beard and bring out the stubble, followed on by a cold splash to tighten the skin before you shave and then tone and moisturise post-shave.
    This is the ideal way i think (a hybrid if the two schools) but sensitive skin may have a fit lol.

Wot says u?

RyX, PLANofMAN, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Thank you for not being afraid to speak the truth (I wanted to but I was a little chicken)

PLANofMAN, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Strength in numbers.

BamaT, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I've tried many many different things.
    Seems I have tough old whiskers.
    I can use cold water, but the shave is not as comfortable as if I use a hot water washing. If I take a hot shower first, the shave is nicer, easy and comfortable.
    I've shaved before the shower, but I get a tougher shave. I've used cold water in many different ways. But it's not as good as the shave after shower.
    tp

Lancre, AGHisBBS, RyX and 4 others like this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

For me, the shower temperature does not make any difference. I wash my face with soap and a washcloth during my shower, which does make a difference.

Aftershave balm should restore any removed oils.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    BamaT, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

@richgem is definitely more penguin than chicken. :D

Paul Turner, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  16. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

This almost seems like the makings of a custom title

jason koonce, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  17. wristwatchb

Agree. I moisten my beard prior to shaving by washing my face with soap and water for a minute or two. I face lather, and I also believe that helps moisten and prepare my beard for shaving.

I suggest using the most comfortable, relaxing, pleasing, etc. water temperature. You can always use a moisturizer after your shave if dry skin is a problem.

Shaver X and RyX like this.
  18. wristwatchb

colony_penguins.jpg

BamaT, Paul Turner, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

You should just use warm water or cold water on the skin according to Dr's who should know, hot water is not recommended. I recently started using a gentle soap for face washing (CeraVe hand bar soap ) and use a soft shave brush for that and results are a little better. The objective is hydrate the whiskers and by removing the oil off the whiskers to allow the whiskers to absorb water easier. A hydrated whisker is easier to slice. Drinking some water when you wake up is a healthy practice IMO.
    Good question and you will get a lot of different answers, I use just warm water at first and each pass I like a cold water rinse with the last rinse with just warm water to remove the soap residual. If I use the alum block I will always use cold water rinse and then the alum followed by another cold water rinse to remove the alum salts.
    Have some great shaves!

RyX, BlueShaver and brit like this.
  20. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Hopefully not.
    I’ll try to work on something that fits me better.