2019 Travelling Box Tour Round Three

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by stingraysrock, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Yes, yes you did!

RyX, Enrico, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I hate to burst your bubble Rick, but I replaced the box both times I had it.
    Cardboard wears out eventually. ;)

Not to mention I don’t need any extra scrutiny from USPS.

kjbarth, Enrico and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's good to know John. Thanks for clueing me in! Guess I've been more interested in the contents than the wrapper.

I'm on good terms with my regular mail delivery guy. He's seen packages from all over CONUS, plus a few foreign countries. Couple of times we've discussed my hobby so he isn't surprised when I get odd deliveries.

Enrico, kjbarth and John Beeman like this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’ve often wondered what sort of impression my purchases have on delivery persons.
    I tell myself there’s people weirder than me out there.
    Seriously, how much shaving soap does one house need?

kjbarth, Enrico, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

The Box has Landed! Going to start poking content before the grandkids get home from school.

Tapatalk Spam Tag

kjbarth likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I was successful in doing a once through of The Box before chauffeur duties called. Even got a shave in. :cool:

My First Pass selections.
    preliminary takes.gif I've been using Open Comb razors all month, but deviated to try the Parker 87R. After reading several reviews that couldn't agree if the unit is mild or aggressive, I loaded it with a Feather blade. Made my lather using the Vulfix brush in the photo above, model number to be determined. Been on a Mitchell's Wool Fat diet for my last 15 shaves so I followed through with. Between the brush's shorter loft, big diameter, and density it performed better that other Vulfix I've tried. Nice scritchyness, too. Might work well with creams, but MWF is a hard soap so I couldn't get it to load like I wanted to. The Parker got standard three pass + a little cleanup. Good audible hearing the hairs pop and ping, but the performance didn't wow me. Might take it for another shave, might not. It's a nice design and very Gillette Fa Boy or Aristocrat like dimensions. After my shave I swiped alum to check for razor bun, not bad, but I was being cautious first time out. Finished with the Wholly Kaw Project Leather. Interesting scent I might call candied leather? Sweet, but interesting. Undecided on that as well.

Other items; The Kamisori has my attention, but I'm not a home honer. Is it "shave ready"? The Furbo Blu shave soap... Recently sampled B&M's Blu AS, new to me, considering. Central Texas Soaps Hill Country Dew - Mountain Dew Aftershave? Really? Maybe... And a couple other brushes I'd like to wash and test lather. A small black bristled and handled Rubberset, and an Omega synthetic. The handle on the Omega is split so I just might harvest the knot for a one of a kind Graydog that's been waiting.

Got the kids eating their snack, but got to keep em off the TV until homework is done. Be back later!

twhite, Enrico, brit and 3 others like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

The Box is on the move!

Of my preliminary Takes, I chose the Wholly Kaw Project Leather AS, An Everready (or was it a Rubberset?) brush, an Omega synthetic, & a Vulfix of still undetermined model number.
    Final Takes.gif
    Rather than delay the kamisori reaching a Den where it will be used, I passed. Same for the Parker DE. Found no love for the Mountain Dew AS, and I didn't make time for the Blu shave soap. I looked hard at the PAA DE razor, but found no model number to look it up. It's an unknown so I won't miss it!

Gives included a Vulfix badger brush (got the model number tucked away somewhere), a new stick of La Toja & Arko shave soap, a 1/2 DE blade shavette in all stainless steel with a couple fat tucks of 1/2 DE blades, & several tucks of Astra Superior Platinum DE blades. I'm trying to remember if I loaded that recent wild find Gillette Super Adjustable 109 (NDC). I know I meant to...

kjbarth and MR41 like this.
  8. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Awesome gives and takes! Can’t wait! Go box!

kjbarth, RyX and MR41 like this.
  9. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I’m in, if I qualify!

Jeff

kjbarth, RyX and Enrico like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm sure you can join in the fourth round. It'll probably be starting in the beginning of January.

:eatdrink013:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    kjbarth, RyX and jgreenepa like this.
  11. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

@Enrico, look what I got.

I hope it works for you.

20191105_001508-600x800.jpg

Enrico, twhite, kjbarth and 3 others like this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Red rover, red rover send the shave box over!!!

kjbarth and RyX like this.
  13. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

That would be great! Thanks!

Enrico and kjbarth like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Looks like a Red Tip without the red. There's a small bottle of right color fingernail polish in The Box!

kjbarth, jgreenepa and brit like this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Is that gold? If so did you replace it. Looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kjbarth and RyX like this.
  16. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

It's polished brass. I stripped it and was going to replate, but it's missing endcaps. While searching for endcaps I found another redtip and figured I would help @Enrico.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kjbarth, RyX and twhite like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

RyX and kjbarth like this.
  18. terstation

terstation Active Member

The eagle has landed! I mean the box arrived and I finally had a chance to unpack and browse around. Here is a family photo before I pulled out my initial items for a trial run.

I love me some menthol, so the Barbasol Pacific Rush is definitely staying along with the Gillette New LC and some blades. Also taking a Williams Mug Soap, as I have never tried Williams. I have vintage Colgate and just never got around to it.

Going to give the Super Max and a couple of the sample soaps a try. Going to put the beard oil to use as it is No Shave November and my mustache and beard area need a little extra moisture while I only shave my neck and cheeks.

And RyX my wife wants to know what color of nail polish that is in there for folks to touch up the Red Tip.

Thanks to all and I look forward to my shave with the Barrister & Mann Cheshire sample, a Feather blade and the Gillette New tommorow.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

kjbarth, RyX, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  19. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Wow! Large selection! Can’t wait for a go! Enjoy it!

kjbarth, MR41 and RyX like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not sure about the tiny bottle of red nail polish in The Box. Did you find it? Wrapped in bubble wrap, in a ziplock. I have a larger bottle purchased at Family Dollar. Took my Red Tip with me and matched the color scanning the rack of available choices. Probably not the original color, but the deep carmine red shade it has become.

Glad you chose that Gillette Long Comb. I think it's the one I added. Totally bare of gold plate, the brass will shine up and patina to the users touch.

kjbarth, brit, MR41 and 2 others like this.