Did a few brushes.......

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Terry, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Fixed one brush, then another and another.....
    20191105_211958.jpg
    Used Maggard synthetic knots to re-doo these brushes. The all black Rubberset (4th from the left) has a horse hair knot. I liberated it from a wood handle that cracked and split.
    It's not as hard as I thought it would be to do. So now I can buy cheap wore out brushes, then give them a new life. The green one on the left took about 20 minutes.
    Who-da thought ??
    tp

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Looking good.

3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!
    tp

4. brit

brit in a box

very cool Terry..nice brushes..

5. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Gary!
    tp

7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Steve!
    tp

8. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I have a whole drawer full of handles..... just need time to actually reknot them. Nice work.

Hembree, S Barnhardt and Terry like this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!
    After the first couple, you kinda know what your doing. It just takes a half hour or so. I thought it would be harder than it actually is.
    The thing I like about it is you can choose the knot you like, after Keith @Enrico fixed a brush for me using a Maggard synthetic, I'm hooked on them.
    I have 5 more to re-doo, but I'm always wandering into junk or antique shops.
    I'm certain there'll be more.
    Good luck on the ones you got.
    tp

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Nice work! Those brushes are good for another 50 years.

Terry and S Barnhardt like this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice work.

12. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Look good!

Those handles look nice and shiny, not what I'd expect from an older brush. I'm assuming that's because you've buffed/polished them, which leads me to ask what you use to do that? And do you use a buffing wheel?

Terry likes this.
  13. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

When you figure out what type of knot you like the best you can begin experimenting with size and loft. That's where the individual customizing is important to the user. In other words you know what you like, specifically! For me it's HMW badger that is dense and the loft is the way "I" like it. The handle shape and size becomes part of that customization process. And, you are correct about putting a brush together. It is not brain surgery!

S Barnhardt and Terry like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I likey! They look very happy with their new hair and shiny faces.

S Barnhardt and Terry like this.
  15. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Very nice!

16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!
    50?... really?
    Well that's nice!

Thanks Dale!

Well....
    A good washing with soap (dawn), warm water, toothbrush and old dish cloth. Then if needed, turtle wax rubbing compound, on a paper towel. Another washing, then to a buffing wheel on a drill with rubbing compound, but only if needed. Only power buffed 2 of them so far.
    Did all of the above after I cleaned out the old knot.

:signs011:

Thanks!!!
    A lot !!
    tp

S Barnhardt likes this.
  17. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

They look great, Terry! Wow! Could you describe the method you use. I'm very interested in redoing one of my dad's old Klenzos. The old knot is pretty beat. I'm worried about fracturing the handle. Could you describe your process. I would much appreciate it. There's no real info on the other boards that I've found helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff

18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/another-brush-rebuild-30-minutes-of-play-time.63056/

Now if the handle is not hollow, I used a forstner bit and didn't use the two other bits.
    Just be careful and take your time removing the old knot.
    Good luck!
    tp

19. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!
    tp