Wright's Silver Polish - Is it safe, or the best thing, to use ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by S Barnhardt, Nov 4, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I've been working over the weekend to begin cleaning, etc. my Schick E3. I now want to try to polish it. For the most part, it looks pretty good now, but there are a couple, or so, places on what I would call a ferrule where the head goes into the handle that could use some attention. The only kind of polish I have in the house at the moment is some "Wright's Silver Polish." I've found a couple posts from back a year or more ago where people talked about using Wrights, but they also talked about other polishes. So, I'm reaching out to folks with "polishing" experience to ask if the Wrights is a good overall p;olish or is there something that might be a better choice? If so, what might that be?

Thanks!

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

There's two different actions involved. Either sheer mechanical grinding, or chemical processes. During the first the size of the granules affect the finished look. Small particles work slower, but leave more original finish. They are still aggressive in that they remove material. I'm not a chemist, but there are silver polishes that can convert silver tarnish back into plating instead of removing it.

kjbarth, brit, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  3. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I use Wright's Brass Polish on everything, brass or not and it works really well. I use a cue-tip to get
    to the hard to reach areas and it gets everything clean. After polishing up an item, I drop it in my sonic cleaner, warm water
    and a few drops of Dawn Soap. When it's done, the item usually sparkles like new.

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

When using Flitz, I noticed that the liquid is much more easier on the plating. The paste can actually remove some gold plate on razors.

kjbarth, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  5. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

I use Flitz in a vibrator tumbler to clean rifle and pistol brass. It would be interesting to try this method on a dull butterfly razor I have.

kjbarth, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am a "Flitz" man, myself.

S Barnhardt, kjbarth and brit like this.
  7. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

In the UK I use Silvo. £2.50 a tin. Works a treat on tarnished silver (see before and after pics). [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  8. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I like to use a hand grinder and 40 grit sandpaper. Adds character.....

....(Not serious)

9. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

:signs136: :think002:

brit and BlueShaver like this.