Smoothest Safety Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Moose, Apr 16, 2019.

1. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Same here!

It is a bit of an enigma to me tbh. It looks dreadful but works wonderfully.

brit likes this.
  2. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

Mine would be My Gillette Ball-End Gold Tech. I just recently acquired it and I wanted to do an experiment so I did a 3 Shave Pass on 7 days of stubble growth and I didn’t think it could handle it, but I was surely mistaken and surprised for that matter!! I then heard that you can get a better shave with the tech if you have a couple days of growth rather than 24 hours... another smooth raiser I had would be the Schick Krona it was medium Agressive for me but smooth nonetheless. And of corse My 64’ Gillette Slim Adjustable or 69’ Black Beauty on about setting 3

brit likes this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

In terms of smoothness, I recall the Star 3-piece was the smoothest of all razors I have used. I got something like 15 to 20 shaves out of one Voskhod blade with the Star, many years ago.

However, I think any smooth shave is rooted in the lather, and that is why I have been using the 2011 R41 exclusively for at least six years or more now. I base the six year estimate solely on the departure of my wife from my life, in 2013, when we divorced, and then in October of 2017, when she died.

4. Mike-R41

Oh man I just sold my 3 Schick Kronas . I had a very very nice gold and black one and the other 2 were the 2 different silver and black ones. The one silver one had “Schick Krona” on the doors

brit likes this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have to agree. A good slick lather coupled with good technique gives you the smoothest experience regardless of razor.

Mindset, skill set, then tool set....

Ron R, brit and Mike-R41 like this.
  6. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I think my Rockwell 6S fits the bill. Very smooth and easy to use. The Smart Helix Apollo also is just an overall great comfortable shaver. The RR Wonderbar is very smooth and almost feels like it isn’t doing anything but it can bite if not careful and cause razor burn too if you over shave. The V1 RR Hawk was a bargain and a wide smooth razor using AC blades.
    Steve

brit and Mike-R41 like this.
  7. Mike-R41

Well I’m that case one could also say the Slim, black beauty, or F-Boy on a low setting... cased closed

8. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Last week, as a change from my usual Fat Boy, Slim, Super Speed, etc., I dug out my Edwin Jagger DE89 that my wife bought me almost 10 years ago. It still looks brand new and (zamak head notwithstanding) it gives me a super smooth shave with a fresh Gillette Silver Blue blade.

I like having a drawer full of old and new razors but to be honest, if the EJ was the only one I owned - and for about 5 years it was - then I’d be just fine with it.

brit likes this.
  9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

For me, it's the Feather AS-D2.
    It was my favorite razor until my wife surprised me on my last birthday with a Charcoal Goods with a L2 plate. It's an amazing razor. My guess is the L1 plate would be just as efficient and a tad smoother.

Edison Carter likes this.
  10. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Liking this post seems somehow wrong lol.

Sorry to hear of her passing.

Enrico likes this.
  11. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I would have to say the NEW SC

12. stingraysrock

It is all good. She chose her path, and had some mighty good shaves along the way.

People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed or just felt. They have come to assist you through a hard time, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. Then, suddenly, the person disappears from your life. Your need has been met; their work is done.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON, because your turn has come to share or grow or give back. They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They give you great joy. Believe it; it is real. But only for a season.

Lifetime relationships teach you lifetime lessons—things you must build upon to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person and put what you have learned to use in all your other relationships.

Think about the people in your life over the years. Whether they were there for a reason, a season or a lifetime, accept them and treasure them for however long they were meant to be part of your life.

And when they are gone, be thankful for the gifts you received from them when they were here—for a reason, a season or a lifetime.

13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Sorry about the loss of your wife. I have a 2011 R41 and "smooth" is an adjective I would never associate with it. Great razor, don't misunderstand, but if I don't ride the cap...:shocked003:

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  14. stingraysrock

The 2011 R41, for me, is the greatest blade holder ever produced. The only shame that I can think of about that razor is that the stock handle is quite lame.

Edison Carter likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

16. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

For me the smoothest razor I have used are the prewar tech from gillette and a schick krona. As for modern day I would have to go with the wilkinsons sword classic, the one they released a few months ago. I don't have as many razors as others here. When I first started I went full aggressive as I have thick fast growing facial hair, but have since realized the milder smoother razors shave better for me. I have made an aggressive razor shave mild, one of my favorite smooth combos is a fattip with a treet carbon steel blade.

17. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Picked up a Star Mod. 100, and have been using it for the last week. It's very mild, but efficient. Just with the time I've used it it has enter the top of my favorite Vintage razors. I think this one is a sleeper and definitely does not get the recognition it deserves...

Enrico likes this.
  18. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

For me it’s my Shake Sharp razor loaded with two stacked blades! It provides the smoothest and closest shave of any of my razors, followed by the RazoRock Lupo SS, the Blackland Vector and the Colonial Silversmith.

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Interesting to hear the Shake Sharp is better for you than the Vector. While the Shake Sharp is also my #1 I have been tempted by the Vector , just held off by the price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Three razors come to mind that give a smooth shave with excellent results .
    Gem Junior Parade 1912 with the tapered handle - MFG 1943 Gem JR Parade Mfg 1943 variant (2).jpg
    Oneblade Core version 2 or 3- FHS-10 blade can be expensive but the razor when used right can give a stellar shave with no cuts or weepers CCS,DFS,BBS range IMO for a inexpensive razor $19.95 sale. One blade 1 (2).jpg
    Just thought about my Gillette British 1950's rockets that are very smooth also on the TTO Gillette Vintage TTO . Gillette British 1950's Rockets (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019