Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

So, tonight, I popped open a tin that I have had for years but don't smoke that often (Scandinavik Full Aroma) due to it no longer being around; and wound up kind of depressed. Not due to the tobacco, which is great in my opinion. But, due to the fact that it is no longer available. In fact, I'm kind of depressed at the number of brands/blends that seem to have gone the way of the dodo for one reason or another; such as McClelland (one of the first brands I ever tried) who had many blends I loved. In fact I loved a lot about McClellands in general. And worse, Mac Baren Vintage Syrian, my all time FAVORITE blend! Sadly, it appears that Syrian Latakia is no more. =(

Anyone else have any Brands/blends they find themselves missing? Does anyone think we may one day see Syrian Latakia available again? And something I've been wondering if anyone has any info; has Samuel Gawith also gone bye bye? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Same goes for Lane Crown Achievement, Medal of Valor and 125th Anniversary. But I also don't see anything saying any of them are gone for good. Any info or thoughts?

RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  2. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

The closing of McClelland has left me gobsmacked. I have a about 40 McClelland tins and then that's it. It's set me into a tobacco buying mode. I'm constantly looking for hard to find tins. Picking up at the few tobacco shops that still have something old or hard to find. At this point I'm not looking at pipes, just adding tobacco. I have seen Crown Achievement and Samuel Gawith locally, but at very high prices.

BamaT and RyX like this.
  3. Lo'Gosh

Same here. I don't have the funds at current (had to move our business recently and such); but as soon as I do, I plan on buying and cellaring as much tobacco as possible, as often as possible. Though I do Understand the greater reason why McClellands closed it's doors; typical government sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong and making things uneccessarily difficult. As to the two lane blends, everywhere I look says "Product No Longer Available". But I can't find any articles saying that they have been discontinued; and I don't see why they would discontinue two classics that are top sellers. The Samuel Gawith I see a lot of folks saying this happens, it just takes them time to get more produced and out to sellers. But I've been reading those posts for nigh on a year now with no change in availability. Though most places that usually had it, had it at a bit of a higher price. I've also been going through different websites lately (it's been a while since I last bought any tobacco and my supply is getting down there); and I've also noticed that it seems there are far fewer brands/blends available than what there was just a year or so ago. =/

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  4. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Living so close to the Left coast I would probably have a hard time finding a pipe club let alone at tobacco shop. There might be one in Reno but I'm not sure it's about 30 plus miles away.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

FatherofSquirrel, BamaT, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Had some Amphora full aroma tonight in my new "old"Viscount.[​IMG]

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

The-Pipe-Smoker, BamaT, brit and 3 others like this.
  6. Lo'Gosh

Enjoying a bowl of Mac Baren Vanilla Creme in a Dr. Grabow Royal Duke; and I have some good news!

So, Samuel Gawith is not gone for good! What happened is with both McClelland and Dunhill (the later now owned by Peterson) closing shop, people either switched to other brands/blends, such as Gawiths, or panicked and began buying vast quantities of such brands in the eventuality they did disappear. Add to this that Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hogarth Tobaccos are made in the same factory using the same machineary (alternately depending on what they are running); and the long periods for clearing customs means that there is now a shortage of them on the market (unless you're in the UK). The upside is that they are slowly catching up and we'll see Samuel Gawith on the shelves again as soon as they do.

Big thanks to the people over at smokingpipes.com for filling me in on the situation this morning. =)

7. Lo'Gosh

Comoys Cask #1 in a Dr. Grabow El Dorado with a cup of hot cocoa! =)

8. Lo'Gosh

John Bull in a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke tonight.

9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

My local pipe and cigar shop, The Briary, has a “club.” No real membership per se, you just show up, fellowship with friends, and enjoy a bowl or cigar. An employee is there, and you can buy something after hours if desired.

RyX, AGHisBBS and Lo'Gosh like this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’m the same way. When I find something I like, I’ll buy several tins. I’ve got a few tins of McClelland unopened, and several jarred tins. I haven’t smoked a single bowl since McClelland closed their doors. I’ve debated whether to go ahead and enjoy them, or sell them. A while back someone offered to trade out with me, giving me twice as much in some other tobacco, but I declined.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    RyX, AGHisBBS and Lo'Gosh like this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Smoking two turkey breasts and a pipe, with help from our lab Gunner. Sorry for the really zoomed in pic, but the way I took it with my iPad, that was the only way to get it to upload.

Had a mystery tobacco in a Peterson. I had jarred some tobacco and didn’t label it; sort of a semi-aromatic, but not bad!

4E56ECB7-3802-4BB3-A05F-D873CBA38A0A.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  12. AGHisBBS

I've become stupid possessive of my McClelland tobacco. Not one drop since they closed. I may loosen up in a limited way as Christmas approaches.

BamaT and RyX like this.
  13. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I dropped my pipe the other day leaving a nice crevice in the side of the bowl, so I guess it's safe to say that I have crack in my pipe tonight.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN, RyX and BamaT like this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the mishap with the pipe.

15. AGHisBBS

Smoked some Frog Morton the other day. It was as good as I remembered.

BamaT likes this.
  16. vrosloyti2

vrosloyti2 New Member

Seems like an interesting hobby. I've started collecting zippo's but not pipes.....as of yet...

BamaT likes this.
  17. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

IMG_1339.jpg
    This beautiful Mastro Beraldi was a gift from my wife several Christmases ago. I thought it appropriate to stoke it up with a wonderful english blend on its anniversary.

18. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Beautiful pipes all. Like teas, coffees, and such, tobacco has a rich and varied tradition.

DesertTime and BamaT like this.
  19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Beautiful pipe! How was the Balkan Sasieni?

DesertTime likes this.
  20. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Last Saturday’s pipe, a Nording pipe with Orlik Golden Slices. I don’t remember the name of this series of pipe by Nording, but it feels really great in the hand, and is perfectly drilled.

0DAF32D5-9D2D-4446-A066-593AFC4D988C.jpeg