Can I use single edge razor blades in a double edged safety razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by John Smiths, Nov 7, 2019.

1. John Smiths

John Smiths New Member

I bought a pile of single edged razor blades for a disposable straight razor and concluded it wasn't for me and have decided to go with a double edged safety razor. I want to travel for a few months around the world and thought double edged razor blades would be a lot easier to find. A non-disposable straight razor might be used as a weapon against me, not to mention a headache at airports. So the double edged safety razor seems like a good solution. Just wondering if I'm restricted to double edged blades with that design?

Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I think it would be hard to get a single edge blade to work properly in a DE razor. If you have the half of a DE type of blades, they might be a bit easier.

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Short answer no. Long answer no because the razors are designed to flex the blade something a rigid blade like an SE isn't designed for that and the blade trays are not designed to take an SE blade like a butterfly style razor for example.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    richgem likes this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

You know, you can find a single edge safety razor that takes the SE blades, so you can probably find one that takes the blades you have. Maybe one of these would work?

What type of blades are they?

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

As far as traveling and DE razors goes you could also mail your blades out ahead of time to where ever you are staying to avoid any hassles at the airport.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD John @John Smiths! Glad you signed up, and I hope someone has good news for you. Early on in my Shave Journey I tried Single Edge Gem type razors. Couldn't find the love there. Fortunately I wasn't deeply invested in blades or razors. Sorry I don't have an answer to your question. Give this crew a day or so. Someone just might know of the razor you are seeking. I recall someone making a device to do the opposite - a Double Edge blade holder that fit in a SE razor. It might have been a 3-D printed doodad. Still no help to your situation...

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

DE blades will fit in an Every Ready 1914. Should also fit in the 1924 ER shovel head razor also.

brit likes this.
  8. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

It shouldn't be a problem in checked bags. I've had foreign imagrations/customs seize pocket knives from checked bags, but they were just gone when I picked up my bags. I wouldn't try to carry on anything but disposable razors.

Not really sure why you are worried about someone using your razor as a weapon against you. Thugs usually provide their own.

I worry more about traveling with medications than I do with shaving supplies. If airports see it all the time, which they do with shaving supplies, they usually wont bother you at all.

It seems strange that you can afford to travel internationally for several months but are worries about saving money on razor blades. Let it go.

9. John Smiths

John Smiths New Member

I was going to use a cheap safety razor from China. So it should be about a month old vs 100 years old. Then again it probably won't be made nearly as well!

10. John Smiths

John Smiths New Member

I can travel for long periods BECAUSE I'm frugal. :) Travelling is very challenging. If you're not disciplined you tend to spend huge amounts when you're fatigued. A 1 year trip quickly becomes a 2 months trip.

11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If want a good cheap razor get a Turkish made Yuma. If you want a cheap to be cheap razor get an Assured or Vincent DE razor from Dollar Tree for $1.00 + tax. You'd be hard pressed to get one cheaper unless you happen to buy a razor in a third world country at their actual street level local currency prices and not the adjusted for global commerce exchange rate price.

12. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

It could have been theft. I usually carry all valuables on my person, but obviously a pocket knife has to go in my checked bag. All I know is it was gone when I got to my destination. My bag didn't look disturbed, so I assumed it must have shown up in an X-ray. I was flying into Bucharest which is known for being strict with that kind of thing. To be honest I haven't tried to take a knife with me on an international flight since.

13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Thinking the blades you have are 1/2 DE or salon type blades, the new Razorock ECO is made for them. Seen the razor for about $30. Never used one, but others have given good reports.

14. John Smiths

John Smiths New Member

You'd think they would notify the passenger when they seize something!

15. John Smiths

John Smiths New Member

What would you long time users of safety razors say are the main characteristics of poorly made safety razors? I would guess workmanship so it doesn't fall apart after a few weeks of use, how it holds the blade, but is there anything else? Ebay prices start at about $2 and Amazon about $4. But its hard to know what to look for from just a picture. I suppose I should just go with a name brand like common sense would dictate?

For instance I was looking at shavettes and ordered the cheapest one and found it didn't hold the blade well at all. Having the blade move while your shaving is not exactly optimum! The cheap ones don't brace it at all. Its just sort of press fitted which is useless. Lesson learned. But the sharp ends of the blades when used this way seems like very poor design. It took forever to shave and I spent quite a while practicing. It just seemed wrong. Maybe if I could buy blades that were about 2"-3" long and didn't have such sharp ends it would be feasible. If I wasn't travelling I'd definitely do with a straight razor/strop/stone and learn how to sharpen it properly.

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Depends if it is 1pc or 3pc but for both I would say plating which depending the metal used is crucial in keeping it from rotting away. Zamak is one of those metals. I've seen modern make of Zamak and even brass with high zinc content rot from the threads on up because they didn't plate the threads on modern razors.

brit likes this.
  17. John Smiths

John Smiths New Member

Would it be reasonable to assume the plating on a sub $10 shaver from China would be rather poor?
    Or a 100% certainty?
    My experience in the past with goods from China has been dismal.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Has not been my experience no. None of my Chinese razors/heads has evidenced any problems, whether purchased direct or via US vendors like Italian Barber.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Bad plating doesn't necessarily make for a bad razor, the bigger issue is what is the metal underneath the plating. Certain brass as long as it isn't a high zinc content alloy for example won't rot like zamak does.

brit likes this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The Assured razors from the dollar store have been known to rust up among other issues. With that said if you are going through 4 of them a year if your $40 razor breaks before 10 years then Assured razors are the better deal. If the razor maker will replace it free of charge then 44 - 48 razors you need to go through in that time period. Figure the extra 4 to 8 razors to cover the not so free shipping to have it replaced. If you go through less than that in 10 years for dollar store razors then they are the better value.