Trumper almond soap review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Leclec13, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I have a TOBS Lime and a Platinum Collection that both lather great.

And Bath House is awesome.

brit likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

thank you Ryan.i only have tobs and truefitt creams, fantastic.the MWF and sv soap as well.reviews like yours have saved me lots of $.thankfully i have only made 2 mediocre purchases.one local fair type product and cade..

Frijolero, BlueShaver and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

i have seen some good tobs hard soap reviews.was interested a while back in their sandalwood soap.love the cream but a hard soap in that scent would be elegant imo..

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Frijolero and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Poking around the forums, the general consensus seems to be that Tobbs is considered "good," while GFT and T&H soaps are "bad."

It wasn't that long ago that MWF soap was either "it works" or "it doesn't." Between my MWF hydration thread and variations on that method, which usually involve some sort of 'blooming,' most people can get an exellent lather from MWF these days.

Maybe someone will eventually find a trouble free way* to unlock the potential of GFT soaps.

...I'm not going to hold my breath.

*that doesn't involve a healthy application of KmF to 'fix' the lather.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Frijolero and brit like this.
  5. I love Trumpers but I will say the cream is better than the soap, but I can't stand their soap. But when it comes to the skin foods, those are sensational. That's just my female perspective.

Leclec13 and Frijolero like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    From a male perspective... I agree 100%. Though at least with the Limes skin food, it will go rancid if not used within a reasonable time frame. (2+ years).

Frijolero likes this.
  7. Yes, that part sucks. But I tend to use it up pretty quickly :)

Frijolero likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The TSD shop (before it closed) made 'skin milk,' I think it was called. It was pretty much the same as skin food, but was witch hazel based rather than glycerin based. Results were comparable, and skin milk was much more affordable than skin food.

@Queen of Blades can probably fill in any details I might have missed or gotten inaccurate.

Frijolero likes this.
  9. Pedigree

Pedigree Active Member

Just ordered me the GFT Almond soap in the wooden bowl.

BigD likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Stumbled across this thread again, and decided to get up in the attic and dig out my near unused (purchased in 2015) Trumper's Lime soap again for today's shave, and to apply some proven good lathering techniques.

I bloomed the soap while I showered, and poured off the water. Went with a really dry brush for loading. Added water slowly. Actually got a good lather out of it. ...which dissipated almost as fast as I put it on.

By lathering and applying it to my face in sections, which I shaved as soon as it was applied, I managed to get a really good shave out of it.

It's still one of the worst performing shaving soaps I've ever used, if not the worst. Back to the attic it goes.

Frijolero likes this.