Have You Ever Tried a Barber Shave?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Willk, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Willk

Willk Active Member

How many of you have tried a straight razor, or shavette shave from a professional barber? How did it go? I recently tried it twice with two different barbers who both used shavettes (probably due to health regulations).

My experience was OK both times, but the barbers always finished with an electric shaver, so I had BBS afterwards and couldn't really asses how well the shavette actually performed. As well, the barber did only one pass. I noticed he didn't hydrate my face before applying the lather. However, maybe because of not wetting my face beforehand, he was able to grab and pull my skin tight much better than I typically can (usually, my skin is quite slippery, so it's hard for me to pull my skin tight). The experience was a bit on the rough side both times in terms of what felt like the barber applying a bit too much pressure on the blade. Both times they put the hot towel on my face to soften the hairs (I believe). One barber left the towel on the upper part of my face (covering my eyes) maybe so I wouldn't get anxious seeing someone take a blade to my neck. Both experiences, I wasn't cut or nicked, so that was good.

kjbarth, Trigger, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i haven't so far..but will one day..:)

kjbarth likes this.
  3. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

No and for the reasons you note.

I have yet to meet a proper barber in my adult life. I remember going to one as a young man but not since.

Finishing with a Electric? Ffs.

kjbarth and Trigger like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I haven't, but I use both a straight and a shavette. They provide a wonderful result once you dial in the proper technique.

5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I haven’t because I don’t know of a true barber. I’ve heard of barbershops using Mach 3’s.

kjbarth, Trigger and Paul Turner like this.
  6. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

My local barbershop offers straight razor shaves for $17; the only catch is you have to also order a haircut along with the shave. So a total bill would be $34 for both haircut and shave. I had, a number years ago a straight razor shave there and from what I remember was the following.
    They used hot towels to soften the stubble.
    The barber did 3 passes.
    They used hot lather from a machine.
    I think they used a traditional straight razor but I’m not 100% sure.
    The end result was a very smooth shave; very much worth the money if not more so because my barber knew how to use a straight razor to shave my face.

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This would surprise me, Angelo.

8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I've tried a Barber Shop razor shave 3 times and have been very disappointed every time. The hot towels were nice and the lather was made by brush/soap and that was ok. But the actual shave wasn't close or comfortable. Don't think that straight razor/shavette razors are taught well if at all in barber schools anymore. I can do a better job at home so I'm done with barber shop excursions.

kjbarth, Trigger and RyX like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nope, don't trust anyone near my neck, with a sharp object.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have a self inflicted wound still healing on my neck right now. Univinlions kami-shavette with a Feather Professional blade. Stuck myself real good. I still trust myself, but I'll be wary and more careful next time.

kjbarth, wristwatchb, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  11. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Wow, Rick! I did that to my dome when I tried the leaf razor. My daughter-in-law who’s a nurse practitioner told me when it occurred that it could have used a stitch or two to help it heal! It occurred in my case due to my zero experience with cartridge razors.

Shave carefully,

Jeff

12. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

We have a local barber shop here in Hatboro Pennsylvania called “Players” that specializes in face and head shaves. Guys travel in from over 100 miles away for their service. In my case it’s about 25 miles. I’ve used them, and they really go over the top. Hot towels, skin moisturizing, scalp massage! It’s pretty incredible. My wife bought me my first session there for my 70th birthday. That was two years ago. I have an appointment in early December for the head and face shave treatment. I’ve been there several times since my birthday.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    kjbarth, wristwatchb, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  13. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    My very first SR shave back in 1981 ish was from a Real Barber using a Real SR, in fact, he was the one that got me started on the right path.

I had started growing the beard / Miami Vice Look , His words ( If you are going to keep that crap on your face, let's get it looking good if you want straight lines you need to learn to use a SR )

Showed me what to buy and how to maintain them

Primotenore, kjbarth, Trigger and 7 others like this.
  14. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I've had two shavette shaves from my local barber. Hot towel, hot lather machine. All in all it was wonderfully relaxing but I was shaved far too close both times leading to atomic razor burn.

kjbarth, Trigger, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  15. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I have been the Guinea pig for my buddy while he was in barber school. Hot towel, lather, hot towel, lather, great shave both times.
    He was still working on getting around the chin and everything, but hey, so am I! And it’s my own face
    He did a fantastic job. I have him do all my haircuts, and if I’ve had a few days off of work, I let him shave me (gotta be clean shaven for my job).
    I wish he could be allowed to shave with straights, but only shavettes in Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjbarth, Trigger, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  16. Angelo85

For those curious about the barbershop I go to to get a shave. The name of the barbershop is Hair Perfection, located at 7969 Castor Ave. Philadelphia,PA. Ask for John as he is the barber that shaved me.

17. Angelo85

From my memory I remember hearing and even seeing the barber strop his razor.

18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I had one in Houston a few years ago, but the shop appears to have closed now. They did a real straight razor shave, with the hot towel, lather machine, PSO. He did one pass, and go me fairly smooth, although I can honestly do better on one pass. All in all, it was a decent experience, but not one I just have to repeat.

More recently, I got a haircut at a men's shop (which happened to include a couple of adult beverages on the house) where the lady trimmed my neck line with a shavette. They offer shaves as well, but I will have to wait for a later day to see how they do.

19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I haven't. I thought about getting one at TOBS when I was in London but based off of what I've ever heard about it I decided not to. I've really only heard that you can do it better yourself and that the shave is either too close or not close enough, never a truly satisfactory shave. I've refrained and saved the money for buying my own stuff.

Maybe one day if my arms fall off I will...maybe.

20. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Coolest show ever. Don made Ray Ban Wayfarers popular again.