Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jaro, Oct 16, 2019.

1. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

@RyX, It took closer to 15 min in the Muriatic acid to remove the chrome. I tried to add another layer of nickel but it failed due to not all the chrome being removed. More time in the acid fixed it. Will gold plate when I get a hard 24k gold electrolyte.

Nickel Gillette Heritage next to a Chrome Edwin Jagger DE89. I really like the look of nickel better, but it is not as durable for sure.
    20191111_221237-1024x1366.jpg

Nickeled NEW and Heritage

20191111_222625-1024x768.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    PLANofMAN, Hembree, Herm2502 and 5 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Hembree, RyX and MrEE like this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Looks like same head on DE89.

Herm

Hembree and brit like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It would be the R89 as it was confirmed by Gillette the head was made in Germany.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Mine just came in.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Hembree, Tim Spencer, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

cliffb599 and Hembree like this.
  7. Herm2502

Mine came in too. [​IMG]

I compared the R89 (left), the DE89 (center) and the Gillette (right). The are almost an identical match, but the Gillette may be slightly thinner and the cap doesn't sit the same. Or it could just be bad light and my eyes.

Herm
    [​IMG]

BigD, Jim99, Angelo85 and 3 others like this.
  8. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

OMG! Jealous! I'm not getting mine until tomorrow! :angry017:

Jim99, Herm2502, Angelo85 and 3 others like this.
  9. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Is everyone who received theirs, liking it? I’m thinking about ordering one so I have an alternate to my Gillette Tuckaway that I current bring with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Tim Spencer

They are currently sold out. If you like a DE-89 head then it's very likely you will get the same exact shave experience. I nearly passed on the purchase, but I guess I'm a sucker for the limited edition type of stuff. I had ordered too hastily and only afterwards realized that it basically shaves the same as my EJ Kelvin razor does. The DE89 head will give a high quality shave so it's by no means a rip off. It's worth what they sold it for IMO.

***EDIT - not sold out anymore. Back in stock.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Pilotcld, Jim99, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  11. Herm2502

Had my first shave with the Gillette Heritage this morning. It performs very much like the DE89, smooth, comfortable and surprisingly efficient. It's a nice razor. My only complaint, as it was mentioned above, is that it's a bit head-heavy. With that weight distribution the handle feels short and insufficient. That being said, I like it already.

Guess I'll sell off my R89 and keep this one.

Herm

BigD, Pilotcld, Angelo85 and 3 others like this.
  12. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

My first shave was Absolutely BBS.
    NICE LITTLE RAZOR. Will keep it safe in My Shave Den.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Jim99, BigD, Pilotcld and 2 others like this.
  13. xiletero

xiletero Member

Still available

Tim Spencer and brit like this.
  14. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Gillette didn't need to early on because they were making money off blades, and razors, due to still holding patents. Later on in the seventies they did the Gillette-II Injector razor.

Maybe stock some of the Gillette Russian Blades?.

Clayton

I would like to see the Spoiler or the Swede back in production. The Russian blades come very close. The answer may just be retooling the equipment in the Russian factories. Just like a jig, or a mold is only good for so many uses when it comes to making quality parts. Better yet make em in Boston, MA. again with new equipment.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

brit, Herm2502 and Angelo85 like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

yes sir.that would be grand..i would pay the extra for them..by swedes do you mean the blue/white pack platinum blades?

16. Tim Spencer

Got it! :D

This will be my first shave with this special edition razor:

[​IMG]

Herm2502, Jim99, PLANofMAN and 4 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

18. Tim Spencer

Ok,

Notes from my shave:
    2 pass + extensive clean up. BBS. Very mild shave. Comparable to the Merkur 1904 razor. No aggression whatsoever. Once this blade is finished I will use a Feather in this razor in the future. The razor covers and holds the blade so tight and the mass of the razor is such that I didn't get any audible feekback on my shave. I could 'barely' hear any cutting, but it was definitely cutting hair. So, bear these in mind if you are considering buying this razor. It's a nice 'show' razor, and a fine shaver, but it's not quite as much fun to use as others. Aside from the lack of audible feedback, this would be an excellent beginner's razor. Not much of a chance for mistakes because of the mildness of the shave.

All in all it's a nice razor.

Pilotcld, brit, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  19. Tim Spencer

When I wrote that they were out of stock. I just checked yesterday and they came back into stock again. :)

Pilotcld, brit and cliffb599 like this.
  20. xiletero

xiletero Member

Here is a link to an interesting video on how this razor shaves!

Tim Spencer, Pilotcld, brit and 2 others like this.