Recommendations for an aftershave that smells spicy>>>

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by tsth, Nov 12, 2019.

1. tsth

tsth New Member

AND STINGS! My husband hates aftershaves that have no sting....we don't like Clubmans, like Bay Rums, and am contemplating getting CK Obsession aftershave or Euphoria Men aftershave...anyone have any experience with these or can you recommend some that smell great and have a sting to them. Thanks!

RyX likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @tsth!
    Alcohol based post shave products are what you're looking for. I'm with him on the sting and prefer it to balms or milky lotions. If you don't like Pinaud Clubman, there's a whole category to avoid - Barbershop. They're a common scent with many variations but usually powdery at the heart. Bay Rum is one I personally avoid for the clove scent, but that's me. Plenty of folks do enjoy it and can offer advice & opinions on the variations and there are many. For the cologne type scents a number of the current companies offer both soap & aftershave splashes in "dupe" scents - their version of the popular & famous products. A resource that may help in your search - basenotes.net. Here's a link to their review of CK Obsession. Knowing what components make up the product may guide you to finding products of a similar scent.

Good luck on your search, and thanks for signing up.

NTR likes this.
  4. tsth

tsth New Member

Thank you both, I can tell this board is going to be a tremendous help!

RyX, Paul Turner and Primotenore like this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Pitralon, green cap.
    Speick splash.

Get both, it you don't like them, I will buy them from you.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

This collection of experts and wingnuts will lead you down the path to a rabbet hole.

You may encounter Enablers who are more than pleased to watch you develop various and assorted Acquisition Disorders. Welcome to Wet Shaving!

I don't like to make assumptions, and you didn't mention if you are also using your husbands shave gear. Do y'all choose to use a brush and soap or cream? Any particular type or brand of razor & blades? As a dedicated Shavevangelist it's my duty to pick your brain and share my enjoyment of what used to be a hated chore, but has become a fun hobby.

BlueShaver and Terry like this.
  7. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Old Spice Classic. Spice is in the name.

PLANofMAN and RyX like this.
  8. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

May i suggest to not use an "aftershave"?

Wait, what?

That's right! Well, sort of, hear me out.

As with everything these days, things get muddled up and rhyme and reason get lost in the fog of time.
    You actually want two things:

A) Your husband wants a post shave skin bracer/ tonic
    B) You both want a scent you enjoy.

Common misconception and sales pitches by the big cosmetic and perfume brands would have you think that modern after shaves are both however this is not true. They are mostly (A) with a bit of (B)

A cologne/perfume is all (B) with zero (A) and an EDT is a chunk of (B) with no (A)

I stand to be corrected on the above but its my current thoughts anyway.

I no longer buy commercial after shaves for the reasons above. One should not do the job of both. Specifically, a perfume can be strong and be both irritating and overpowering if used as an aftershave and vice-versa for aftershaves loosing scent quickly.

Much better is to use an actual post shave skin tonic/bracer (aftershave) which is scent neutral so as not to affect a perfume/cologne and which is distilled (contains alcohol) which tones the skin as needed. You can be as liberal as needed with it as its not posh money but allows you to buy proper scents and apply them properly so that they last all day and don't overpower the wearer (ie behind the ears and on the cuffs)

Thayers alcohol based which hazel is a favorite toner used here for post shaves and you may then follow on with a choice scent for more selective use.

Spicy? Hmm, dunno.
    Paco Rabanne comes to mind. I like it but don't own it.

RyX and brit like this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Stirling soaps are famous for their strong scents. I like the Bay Rum and Barber Shop scents. They are a spicy scent, you can get samples there too.
    If bay rum and spice is your thing, Ogllala bay rum is mighty too.
    Good luck!
    tp

RyX and brit like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Vintage, Avon Spicy. More spicy than Old Spice. Ebay is the easiest place to find it, it is plentiful, and inexpensive.

Angelo85, brit and RyX like this.
  11. tsth

tsth New Member

Thanks...looking them up now. :)

RyX likes this.
  12. tsth

tsth New Member

Thanks...he does wear this one...we like it!

RyX likes this.
  13. tsth

tsth New Member

Thanks...I totally get what you're saying, but he wants "aftershave"! Lol...he's pretty set in his ways...it just needs to say aftershave on the label.

RyX likes this.
  14. tsth

tsth New Member

Lol...no, I'm a girly girl...don't use his shave stuff. I'm just the one who gets to smell the stuff on him...we both like heavy scents..he especially likes cinnamon, but that probably wouldn't work after a shave! ouch!

RyX likes this.
  15. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

If you like a heavy scent, i would recommend Millions.

16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Do you like to experiment? Make a custom AS (aftershave). Start with perfumers alcohol, or spend less if you use Everclear 190 proof. Use some witch hazel if you like that. Add a couple drops of glycerin per ounce for a smooth feeling. Visit a health food store and choose a couple of essential oils. Only takes a couple drops of cinnamon, sandalwood, clary sage, tea tree, patchouli, etc. If you look up the scents in your favorite cologne you'll have the list. Just need to figure out the ratios.

Next step is find an empty Avon bottle...