2019 Travelling Box Tour Round Three

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by stingraysrock, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Happy to see an offering from Central Texas Soaps in there(The Hill Country Dew). :). Whoever ends up with it in the end(did I repeat myself just now?lol), I'd like a report on it. Thanks in advance.

kjbarth and RyX like this.
  2. terstation

terstation Active Member

Her was my morning shave. No time for a write up but I really enjoyed the B&M Cheshire. Not sure about the Feather in the New. May have to give it a few more shaves, as I am very used to shaving with my Russian made blades.[​IMG]

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

kjbarth, Enrico, brit and 3 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I tried it Paul. Because I prefer the feeling of an alcohol based post shave splash I may be biased. Living in a generally high temperature/high humidity location I don't need much facial hydration. The product does smell like Mountain Dew soap pop soft drink. If I recall, the first ingredient is aloe juice, with some witch hazel, and alcohol in there somewhere. It left my skin with a feeling on "something on it" that I get from balms. One use was enough to tell me I'd not purchase it. For folks who do enjoy a balm it might be great.

My shave report is HERE.

Paul Turner, kjbarth and Jrdelgado like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Oh OK, thanks....y'know, I had no idea the "Dew" was more of the "Mountain Dew" soft drink persuasion. Or maybe I did and forgot about it. I thought it might be more like moss/dew. I'll try a different one for my third purchase(but not in a hurry to make that purchase just yet).

kjbarth and Jrdelgado like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Excellent selection! That tub of Clubman really caught my eye; having never tried it.

6. terstation

terstation Active Member

8 Nov 19 - SOTD

Hot Water Prep
    # Tabula Rasa Dark Lavender Cream
    Jayaruh # 358
    # PAA Unknown 3 piece DE
    # Feather blade (2)
    Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
    # Burt's Bees Natural Aftershave

My prep was a hot water rinse to get the whiskers hydrated. The Tabla Rasa was temperamental to lather in my old Waverly Lavender Shave mug that I dug out just for the Dark Lavender cream. Although I got an underwhelming lather it was nice and slick and I loved the scent. I did two passes with the PAA and a little touch-up around the edges. After a cold water rinse, I ran my alum block over the area and only one hot spot although I got some redness on my neck. Thinking the Feather just might not be a blade for me, it is sharp for sure just not as smooth as my usual blades. I finished off with my witch hazel and the Burt's. It is a little greasy for my liking, but my whiskers during No Shave November appreciate the extra moisturizing. I ended up with a close, comfortable shave and am enjoying the items from the Traveling Box very much.

# are items from the box for today's shave.

Happy Shaves and Happy Friday all!

- terstation[​IMG]

PLAla, kjbarth, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  7. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

The "unknown" PAA razor is a Prismatic. Here is a link to details for the razor ==> https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements...azor-a-modern-take-on-a-classic-nickel-plated

Enrico and RyX like this.
  8. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Good looking shave!

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for filling in the blanks! :eatdrink047:

kjbarth likes this.
  10. terstation

terstation Active Member

So it has been a busy couple of days, but I thought I would fill everyone in on my past couple of shaves.

Saturday I used the Parker and the Super Max cream along with one of the Treet blades from the box. The Parker shaved fine if a little mild. The Super Max cream reminded me of Proraso without the great smell. It was slick and cushioned for a nice shave. It also reminded me of most creams in that they perform fine, but have a tendency to not rinse as well from your brush and leaves a slight residue. The Treet surprised me and was sharp and smooth, probably not up there with my Nacet or Voshkod blades but I enjoyed it.

Today I used the Parker again and but tried out the Clubman Shave soap with one of the Shark blades. Once again the Parker was nice and mild to me but did its job just fine. The Shark was sharp and to me not as smooth as the Treet. The Clubman was very pleasant scent wise and performance. It was nice and slick although a little thin, but that is probably due to a little too much water on my part. My face felt nice and smooth after the shave and I was surprised the Clubman performed so well.

Finished with the Barbasol Brisk both days and ended with a close, comfortable shave both days.

Cleaned up the Parker and put it back in with the Super Max, but think the Clubman may be staying. But it is the smaller container, so the big tub will be moving on @Enrico.

Think I will be wrapping it up with tomorrow's shave of the modern Williams soap and the Gillette New with the Treet blade on day 2. Getting all my gives and takes sorted and a few more pics before I get it back in the mail to @Jrdelgado. Please PM me with you mailing info, so I can get labels ready.

This has been alot of fun and happy to be included in this round of the Travelling Box. Tomorrow I will have a pic of my final gives and narrow down my takes depending on how well my Tetris game is on getting stuff back in the he box.

- terstation
    [​IMG]

RyX, kjbarth, Jrdelgado and 2 others like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Great review and thank you for thinking of me.

RyX, kjbarth and Jrdelgado like this.
  12. Jrdelgado

Hello! If at all possible I am out of pocket for a few days. Would it be ok if you held it til Friday?

kjbarth, brit and RyX like this.
  13. terstation

terstation Active Member

Not a problem, we don't want it freezing or growing legs and wandering off.

Enrico, kjbarth and RyX like this.
  14. Jrdelgado

Agreed! All my neighbors would be clean shaven and smelled good. Lol

Enrico, kjbarth, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Just checking in( work has been crazy); where is the box on its tour these days?

kjbarth, Enrico, MrEE and 1 other person like this.
  16. terstation

terstation Active Member

It made an extra few days stop here as @Jrdelgado is out of town until Sunday. I am dropping the box in the mail tomorrow, so he will be back in town when it arrives.

kjbarth, MR41, RyX and 2 others like this.
  17. Jrdelgado

Yeah! Can’t wait! Thank you again!

kjbarth, RyX, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  18. terstation

terstation Active Member

So here are my original takes. I ended up returning the super Max cream and Feather blades, but took the Clubman Shave Soap instead. The tub is moving along @Enrico.

My gives are a couple of straight razors. One looks like it only needs a home and the other has been honed within inches of its life, but the scales look good and I hoped they would find a good home.

Next is a vintage Enders' Dollar Razor and a Christy which take proprietary blades. I did include an old blade in the Enders' case hoping someone might be able to mod a modern blade in order to give them a whirl. Or just for a collector, as I try to use all my razors.

We also have an Italian Barber set of Amici shave cream and after shave. They smell good, but just didn't react to my skin well.
    A brush that is nice, but my skin only likes synthetic brushes.

Blades next with a tuck each of Rapira Platinum Lux, Nacet, Voshkod (my favorite DE) and Wilkinson Sword DE blades and 5 PAL carbon steel SE blades (my favorite SE).

More shave soaps included are a Wilkinson Sword shave stick, a Palmolive shave stick and a tube of vintage Palmolive shave cream.

For razors we have a dollar store Assured TTO, a travel Gillette Tech and a GEM 1912.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate, it was quite fun. I hope you find some good stuff @Jrdelgado and I will PM you the tracking number to.orrow after it is moving.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

kjbarth, RyX and Enrico like this.
  19. Jrdelgado

Looking forward to it! Thank you! Great gives!

RyX and kjbarth like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Alot of great gives @terstation and glad you joined us on this round. You're welcome any time! :happy088:

:eatdrink047: