Best Electric Shaver

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Mitchie123, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Mitchie123

Mitchie123 New Member

Hi There, I'm planning to give a gift to my male friend. It is supposed to be anything related to hygiene. So I'm looking at maybe an electric shaver, according to him he still uses those manual ruby blades. :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Looking at some brands like Braun, Panasonic, Philips and Remington on - do you have any feedback?

2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I do not have any feed back....sorry. Wet shaver myself but maybe someone will chime in.

3. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

You will get what you pay for.

My beard was too tough for a philishave but i used a braun foil razor for a while with acceptable results.

Electric shavers need daily use.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You're very kind to get a shaving-related gift for your friend. Not sure you can to the right place for advice on electric shavers. I used a Phillips for a few years and it was probably the WORST shaving experience I ever had. Worse than carts. Seriously.

Shaver X and brit like this.
  5. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

I've tried Philips and Remington, the lower end ones. I wasn't happy with them, i got ingrown hairs every single time and both pulled the hairs very uncomfortably. I wouldn't recommend.

Shaver X likes this.
  6. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Im partial to Panasonic. Newer Braun electric razors seem kind of cheap to me and Ive never been all that impressed with anything Norelco or Remington.

7. brit

brit in a box

glad you asked here instead of reading amazon reviews.i was a cart user and went to vintage safety razors..works for me,but i am sure someone here will help best they can..good luck..

8. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

hi i'm a wet electric shaver that means I use a wet/dry electric razor with a brush and soap or cream and a shave bowl it works great the reason I do this is because i'm disabled and my hands shake and my muscles don't work like others do but your looking the best electric razor the Panasonic is in my oppinonion the best one the arc5 is the best my beard is coarse and thick and it go's through it like butter and when you wet shave with it you can get a bbs with it using a brush and soap or cream another good one is phillps one blade it to is a wet/dry shaver not as close as Panasonic but do's a dawn good job it will go through any length of beard just like sr guy's and if he is prowned to in grown hair these two will help this and when you the brush bowl and soap or cream and some pre shave oil they work even better and when your using the electric razor your going against the grain the whole time but following the pattern it grows I hope this help you out :)

BlueShaver likes this.
  9. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

What do you mean by manual ruby blades? Autocorrect? Did you mean manual razor blades?

You may want to check and see if he's really interested in an electric razor. I've owned several in my life and I never enjoyed any of them and kept going back to a Gillette Mach 3. Until I tried Double Edge shaving. Many of use love our morning shave with traditional gear. The scented soaps brushes and sharp blades makes for therapeutic enjoyable shave.

Get him a wet shaing kit and see if he loves it. I bet he will. Ask him and we'll help you find some good starter kits.

20191107_081323-800x599.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    MrDaniel's likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I used an electric razor once. It felt like I was being gnawed to death by a rabid squirrel.

Shaver X, MrDaniel's and brit like this.
  11. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I’ve had a Panasonic Arc4 since 2013. As a couple have mentioned Panasonic makes the best electric cordless razor. When used with a wet shaving cream or foam or even just hand soap and water, it does a very nice job, the best I’ve had from any electric (owned Braun and Remington also). Using it dry....no fun, but it works. I replace the Arc4 cutters every year, and the foil every 2. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned every use and dried. Light oil once a week. Mine still shaves close to new with this routine.

Both the Panasonic Arc4 and Arc5 (mentioned above) options are available on Amazon.

My Arc4 has not seen but one or two uses this year though, as I’ve switched (like many here), to shaving tools that are more traditional like single edge, double edge or straight razors. Maybe you could find out some way if your friend would be interested in that. Have an Art of Shaving store close by?

Shaver X and steve207 like this.
  12. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I agree with @b1hart. The Panasonic Arc5 is the current best electric shaver made according to Hammacher Schlemmer who publish an annual ‘Best Of’ catalogue and have been doing so for about 80 years. The electric razor they acknowledge as ‘best’ has no brand name and is more expensive than you can find online, but is the Panasonic Arc5 which can be used wet or dry. It is expensive!

steve207 likes this.
  13. steve207

interesting well the electric way isn't for every one just like other metheds of shaving

brit likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

:D.i tried one once but it pulled a lot.it was my dads spare one.he used panasonics ? during the early 80s..

15. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

and some people say they tried DE shaving once and it chewed their face up. To each their own.

steve207, PLANofMAN, brit and 2 others like this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

By "manual ruby blades", do you mean Gillette Rubie double edge blades in an old school safety razor? If he is using a safety razor and likes it, he might prefer that to an electric shaver. If that is the case, here are a few gift suggestions:
    If he would like an electric shaver, here are my observations:

I used a Norelco / Philips electric razor for a few months, which had rotary cutting heads. It gave uncomfortable shaves that were not close at all. A Remington triple foil shaver worked very well, though, and has lasted 35 years. The closest Remington model currently sold to what I have would be the Heritage Series Foil Shaver. Braun electric shavers are pricey, but they seem to garner a lot of praise.

That is a great idea!

brit likes this.
  17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

So that foam isn't shaving cream? ;)

steve207, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  18. steve207

yeah it mit be I think in the 80's Panasonic shaver was just a dry shaver at the time so yeah not very good but now the pan is the best:happy088:

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

steve207 likes this.
  20. steve207

thanks

brit likes this.