Simpson Brush Labels

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rev579, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I have seen a variety of Simpson brush labels. With the variety, there has been some semblance of guessing the production range. There is a sticker/decal/label that seems to be a little more difficult to guess when it was made. In the image below, there is a No. 4, and (2) Vintage Major travel brushes, marked with a No. 5.

[​IMG]

The (2) Majors have different labels. The middle Major has a label/decal that matches the No. 4 on the left. These 3 might allow for identifying the label on the No. 4, which looks like a "Special".

A vast variety, but alas, not mine...
    [​IMG]

Early Wee Scot(not mine)
    [​IMG]

Pre-1941(not mine)
    [​IMG]

Nimmer Mill Somerset(not mine)
    [​IMG]

An Older Somerset(not mine)
    [​IMG]

2006(not mine)
    [​IMG]

2012 (not mine)
    [​IMG]

Modern Label(not mine)
    [​IMG]

Most Recent Label(not mine)
    [​IMG]

Are there guidelines for establishing an approximate date of manufacture based on the label? Any ideas about the No. 4 in the first image?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    kjbarth and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

awesome...

kjbarth and Rev579 like this.
  3. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I will add, for the sake of clarity, two of the three brushes referenced in the first image have (4) lines of text, which include the hair quality used in the knot. This is unlike most of the labels that have been seen over time. The inclusion of the knot quality is listed in the pre-1941 brush labels. I struggle with entertaining this element to suggest the brushes with this detail are of the early 1940 brushes, however, the 40 series did begin in the 1940's.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Very nice collection. :happy088:

kjbarth, Rev579 and brit like this.
  5. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

These are more references than anything else. Only 1 of the brushes in all of the pictures are mine. I'll edit the post...

6. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

This is the one that belongs to me:
    [​IMG]