COOPER RAZOR OWNERS CLUB (CRC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Herm2502, Jan 4, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

looks good Jason..

PLANofMAN and kjbarth like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Monobilt/Treet Platinum (2). Points for clever but not among my favorite shavers, indeed not even my favorite Cooper. Lowly three piece does a better job for me. Sure you can back off the Monobilt a bit to increase gap but you trade chatter for aggressiveness. I guess I'd call it "audible feedback" if I thought it was helping but I don't really.

Gonna compare with the Segal Adjustable tomorrow which has a lot of superficial similarity but perhaps a better designed head when it comes to adjustment--at least the Segal patents speak to it quite a bit.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Herm2502, PLANofMAN, RyX and 4 others like this.
  3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

904C7E50-F595-4411-9970-4265196D5C68.jpeg
    I don’t have anywhere near the depth of razor knowledge that @jmudrick brings to the table, and may well agree with him as I learn more, but I do know that my Monobilt delivered one of the closest shaves I’ve experienced. I really like this razor, and again thank you shave gurus out there who made me aware of it.

Herm2502, PLANofMAN, kjbarth and 2 others like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I think I'm in the decided minority when it comes for my preference for the Stereobilt :) .

PLANofMAN, jgreenepa and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

PLANofMAN, kjbarth and jgreenepa like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Interesting aside concerning the Swee-do razor and blades. They were sold in the US from 1932 through 1942. The company is still registered to do business in New York though they most likely never unregistered the corporation when they stopped doing business in the US.
    https://www.bizapedia.com/ny/sweedo-incorporated.html

Ad from 1932
    sweedo32.jpg

Ad from 1939 showing the New York Inc. connection
    sweedo39.jpg

Notice they are a foreign based corp and came out with the Swee-do razor same year as the Cooper in 1932. I still stand by my assertion that Cooper was selling OEM Swee-do razors with some small manufacturing differences for the 3 pc open comb razors. We also know the razor I like to dub the Coopersol because it has the Barbasol floating head came out in 1943 when Swee-do disappears which I think bolsters that case. In 42/43 they had to find a new manufacturer for their razors. The Coopersol was a stop gap using left over handles from the older 3pc razors along with a Conrad produced razor head until they could get the Kant Rust model line to market which they did by 1944.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Nice mild shave with the Coop. Suneko blade (2).[​IMG]

Herm2502, kjbarth, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.
  8. jgreenepa

Really like those Suneko blades, Jeff. They seem as sharp as my Feather blades and as smooth as a Voskhod. Is that your Stereobilt?

kjbarth and brit like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

No, I call the early 3-piece the Stereobilt. This is one of the later ones, discussion of which begins on post #153 here. Agree the Suneko are working well for me also.

brit, kjbarth and jgreenepa like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yep and if you like the Gillette 3pc post war tech razors that Cooper Kant Rust razor is a similar shaver.

brit, kjbarth, jmudrick and 1 other person like this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

A very merry Cooper Christmas to all!

Haven't used my Monobilt for a while. I forgot how efficient it can be. What a nice shave! Nothing better for a Tabac Tuesday![​IMG]

12. jgreenepa

Great shave, Herm! I see you have the earlier Monobilt!

Linuxguile, Herm2502 and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

cool cooper shave Jeff..

jgreenepa and Herm2502 like this.
  14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Thanks! This was a local antique shop find for $20. I've got the 3-piece too. I'll have to search for more!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brit and jgreenepa like this.
  15. jgreenepa

Great score!

brit and Herm2502 like this.
  16. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Well I'm in. Found this and a PAL in a lot of razors on ebay. I didn't realize the hook was broken off. But it still shaves well and the plating is nearly perfect. I found a really rough monobuilt I'll be scavenging for the replacement hook.

It shaves great as is. So I may have two usable Monobilts when I am done. Buying two Coopers to make one cost me about $75 total, but that's all I have been able to find. Someone out there have a secret stash of these things?

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kjbarth, jtspartan, Herm2502 and 5 others like this.
  17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Not I

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I used to, but I sold my backup Monobilt to a member a few years back. I'm honestly surprised so many members of TSD have one. They are one of the rarer razors out there. I think Toggles are more common.

19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I've had five different MonoBilts in my possession and differing times. One was traded to Jorge @Jorvaljr , one traded to Jason @jtspartan , one sold to Jim @jluc . And two left in my collection.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN, kjbarth, brit and 2 others like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i only have one..

MrEE, Herm2502 and Linuxguile like this.