Can't post pics

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Suhrim21, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I've been trying to post pics of my most valued straights but keep getting error saying something about the server not being able to handle the file size.

RyX likes this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You will need to resize your pictures. They are to big.

DaltonGang likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I resize mine by 50%, and that usually does it.

4. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Get them smaller then... 'Upload a File (Max 1 MB)'

RyX likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

@Suhrim21 - Two options.

1) Find a photo manipulation software that lets you resize or change format. The TSD server accepts file at 1mb or less. By reducing the overall pixel count , or number of colors in an image you can get them in. My phone takes s 3264X2448 pixel JPEG image. After cropping, resizing (33%), and changing to a 256 color GIF that 2.56mb image becomes a screen filling 563X783 pixel of only 290kb.
    SOTD 05252019.gif

2) Install Tapatalk on your phone. It resizes the image for you.

6. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will have to do that.

RyX likes this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Cool! Looking forward to see photos of your Most Valued Straights!

8. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

Having trouble with this myself. I can post a pic with my phone but not with my computer at home. And resizing is way beyond my understanding. Id there another way around this as I'm lucky to operate a computer to stat with.

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yes @Gasman. There are simple to learn and use photo manipulation apps available for free for phone or computer.

TLDR: I use both for cool effects.

Take a photo with your phone using its best format. If you have opinions of size, color depth, ect set them all highest to gather as much data as possible.

Then i use Snapseed Android app to do some easy but dramatic effect. Email to myself for cloud storage, post to Tapatalk / TSD, etc.

I prefer to open the email to myself on the computer, and may further edit a photo with Win7 photo manipulation software. There i have just one of many free apps that are easy to use.

So if you don't mind pushing the data around it's all possible, somewhat intuitive, and you may already have the hardware.

Tapatalk Spam Tag

(@Paul Turner - if you are interested, I'll put together a tutorial for folks that have the gear and need a clue? )

Edison Carter likes this.
  10. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

Thanks for the reply.
    Could you point me in the right direction for something for my computer? Maybe I can figure out how to use the program to make things smaller if I'm lucky.

11. Weasel640

Do you know what your operating system is E.G. Windows (10, 8, 7, XP, 98, etc), Apple (macOS, iOS, etc), Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, Dabian, etc), etc, etc? You may already have the necessary programs. However which ones is entirely dependent on what operating system you are running.

12. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

oh! See, it shows how much I know. I got Windows 10. It was the first computer they sold with it already installed.

13. Weasel640

OK. So find the picture file you want to post. Right click on it, and select "Edit", it will open in Paint. At the bottom it will display the size. Most of my photos are 1.40MB ish. At the top you will need to click on "Resize". Once the window pops up just resize the amount that would get you under 1MB. In my case resizing to 70% puts me just under 1MB. Once resized, hold "fn" and "f12" together and save it as something you will be able to find easily.

Gasman likes this.
  14. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

2.9 on mine.
    I found if I edit to 40% I get just under the 1 size.

Let me know if this sounds right or not. Every time I want to post a picture, I have to find the picture, change the size of it and save it. Then go to the forum again and find the picture again to post it? It sounds like a lot of work to post one pic!
    Or can I do this after I click on the "Upload a file" button below so that it's only changing when I send it and not on my computer also?

15. Weasel640

To post the picture on the forum, yes, you must change the size prior to uploading it. Not really much work once you get the hang of it. There are many ways to change the size. The one I listed above is just the simplest way with what is already available on your computer.

16. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

Thank you Eric. I will work on it. Now that I have an idea about how it works I will figure a way to do this on my phone too.

17. Weasel640

Android or Apple?

18. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

Ha.
    Android.
    LG phone if it matters.

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That might help in my case, but other participants(in the tutorial)may catch on quicker than me.

RyX likes this.