First Shave

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by STOKIE TIM, Nov 29, 2019.

1. STOKIE TIM

STOKIE TIM Well-Known Member

So can many of you remember your first de shave ?
    Mine was
    Merkur 34c
    Tabac soap
    Nivea moisturiser
    That’s it and NO cuts
    I loved it and was smooth as..
    Now I’m hooked!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Tdmsu, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Mine was 1981 was in Basic Training
    ( US ARMY )
    Red tip ss
    Old spice soap & Aftershave.
    I think it was ok of a shave.
    I’m Old so my Memory not like it use to Be. But I am Forever Grateful to
    SSG Marks. For guiding me in the right Direction.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Tdmsu, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. STOKIE TIM

Aw the red tip is love one of those

brit and cliffb599 like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Schick Krona that belonged to my grandfather.

Tdmsu, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Merkur 34c
    Shark SC
    Omega boar
    Williams Mug Soap

It wasn't a good shave as I had no clue what I was doing but it was better than I had hoped.

Tdmsu, RyX, cliffb599 and 2 others like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

used my ej 89 a few times then my first vintage gillette arrived in the post.a brit aristocrat jr/canadian cased rocket if i remember correctly..the rest is history..

Tdmsu, STOKIE TIM, PanChango and 2 others like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I jumped in with both feet - a 1/2 DE bladed shavette. Probably ARKO and Pinaud Clubman AS withing the first week.

Tdmsu, STOKIE TIM, cliffb599 and 2 others like this.
  8. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Gillette Fatboy (My step father's older razor)
    Wilkinson Sword blade (his regular purchase)
    Old Spice soap
    Old Spice branded brush (might have been made by Ever Ready, not sure)
    Old Spice AS
    The Old Spice stuff was all included as part of a boxed set.
    Been using soap and brush since, though I drifted away from DE razors after several years. Came back in to DE's in 2003.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    First DE shave?

1967 Gillette Super Speed
    Wilkinson Sword DE blade
    1438 Semogue boar brush
    Van der Hagen soap. Deluxe, I think?

That's one day I'll always remember. I've heard it referred to as a "coming to Jesus," moment, and that's as good a description as any. It changed the way I looked at a great many things, not just shaving.

I would go so far as to call it a life changing moment.

S Barnhardt, PanChango, Tdmsu and 4 others like this.
  10. Todd Pedlar

Todd Pedlar Well-Known Member

First DE shave was in 2011

Preshave: hot shower and hot towel
    Razor: Merkur 34C HD
    Blade: Crystal
    Brush: Omega 10066
    Soap: DR Harris Arlington
    Aftershave: DR Harris Arlington Splash

... and it was wonderful, and I’ve never looked back since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

one blade safety razor from pawn stars
    full van der hagen shave kit
    british streling after shave

I started in 2004 if I remember right:signs002: i do remember I cut the hell out of myself my face was a very bloody mess but as time went on I got better I had fun with the whole thing:happy108:

Tdmsu, brit, cliffb599 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My first DE shave was with a Parker 29L and a Shark blade. I used a badger brush and Sara’s Creations soap (which I was already making for my husband.)

Tdmsu, STOKIE TIM, brit and 1 other person like this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Can't remember the first, but my most memorable happened in 1974 during the early part of my senior year. I went to a Jesuit high school and at that time you really couldn't have a lot showing on your face. Well one time I was a bit lazy for a few days and I got caught by the Vice Principal, Father Grosso. He gave me this Gillette Flair Tip that I could swear had the same blade as when I had to shave off my mustache when I entered the school in my sophmore year. But at least I had the honor of the only one that had a mustache on the school ID. Well, back to the story. I'm guessing they purposely kept an old blade in the razor to deter people from repeating to not be at least partly close shaven.

brit, Tdmsu, STOKIE TIM and 1 other person like this.
  14. STOKIE TIM

you make your own soaps? what do you do and flavours? I e bought the wifey a de razor and so e bits for Christmas

brit likes this.
  15. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Mine was a Merkur 34c from Art of Shaving (before I realized their marked up prices!) and a VDH kit with soap and brush. I was hooked from that day on.

brit and PanChango like this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I make melt & pour soap. I blend several different bases, some honey & a couple of other “secret ingredients.”. Because the recipe is a bit involved, I periodically make a 3-lb. batch that I cut up into blocks. When I need some, I re-melt a block, add scent and pour it into a round mold or directly into a shave bowl. I generally use essential oils for scent.

brit, STOKIE TIM and DesertTime like this.
  17. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

My first shave?
    My knee jerk reaction was to say "razors" hadn't been invented yet and that I'd shaved with my trusty old "Bowie knife" that I carried on my belt, but a great number of you folks wouldn't know what I was talking about, so I am instead going to say this.

When I first shaved, it was, without a doubt, a DE. There wasn't the variety of choices available like there is now. So, what I'm posting here is a good "SWAG." I grew up in one of those "You will use what I buy unless, or until, you get a job and buy it yourself." homes.

Razor? Gillette DE of some type. (Not much else to choose from back then)
    Blades? Gillette again. (I grew up thinking the term "razor blades" was synonymous with that iconic blue Gillette dispenser.)
    Soap? Some kind of canned foam for the most part. Usually whatever was on sale at the grocery store. However, I do remember "something" in a jar that was "the thing" in our house for a while. It was sort of pinkish in color, you took out a bit on the tips of your fingers and rubbed it in. Wish I could remember what it was. Didn't really lather, but worked like a charm. ???
    AS? What is that? Summed up that aspect for the most part. But a bit of Aqua Velva on occasion.

That folks was pretty much it back when "I started" shaving, late 1950s to extremely early 1960s.

One more thing.........Did anyone know what a "Bowie Knife" was/is? I'll see what I can find on it and post an edit to this.

EDIT: for......
    Click here:
    Wikipedia Page on Bowie Knife

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    brit and STOKIE TIM like this.
  18. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I've heard that (life changing moment) said about a lot of things. Tends to happen frequently around one's junior year in high school at something like a drive-in theater or some dark and lonely spot while gazing at the stars! So I've heard!! :cool:

brit, PLANofMAN and STOKIE TIM like this.
  19. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

About 1964 or 5, Schick Krona belonging to my uncle. Didn’t start shaving regularly though until the late 60s

S Barnhardt, STOKIE TIM and brit like this.
  20. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

EJ d89 ebony and chrome.
    $8 Turkish horsehair brush
    Derby blades
    Van der Hagen soap in a ceramic latte mug

I had a devil of a time trying to work up a lather (super runny, and dried too quickly), but it was still better than the shaves I was getting a month earlier with my cartridge and can.