Occam’s SS DE. Great value & Performance....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

I wanted to get in a handful of shaves before writing up a brief description on the Occam’s razor in terms of fitment, quality and shave performance. And I will say that this razor kit has completely surprised me in overall performance and excellent value for what one gets.

First off the razor comes in a nicely packaged box excellent foam cut-outs for the razors components. You get an all stainless steel razor with 3 base plates that offer various degrees of aggression, 2 top plates in which one is offered with a ridge that runs along the center and full length of the cap (as per the makers of the razor it’s intended for those shavers that are new in safety razor wet shaving and helps with keeping the razor at the proper angle during shaving) and finally a very well made handle that has excellent knurling to provide superb tactile feel without fear of dropping it with soap filled hands.

7A9BE7C1-F361-44D0-B5AE-50E7FF0EF0B3.jpeg FC0CAFD4-CD10-4AE6-9940-AC9E65ECE8B1.jpeg B8FFB88C-5077-4E51-AE21-06C1B12E81C2.jpeg EA37F368-0055-490F-A760-0F42753B156D.jpeg C192F4A9-6987-4D43-A454-06FEC60B1FD7.jpeg

The razor has a very nice quality feel about it but, don’t expect Wolfman or Timeless like looks. The razor is produced via a sintered process or MIM (metal injection manufacturing) that has produced an above average razor in looks and fitment. No inherent flashing or burr like deposits are nowhere to be found at least on my example that I have here. Once a blade is inserted it is held firmly and precisely with equal exposure on both sides of the razor head once assembled. The base plates and cap show tight tolerances as the razor comes together and is quite comfortable and well balanced in the hands. There is a slight bit of blade tab overhang on the ends but, it’s very minimal and just enough to insert or remove a blade. Some like blade tabs exposed, some don’t. Really makes no difference to me but, I think it was designed this way to give those that like exposed blade tabs their piece and for those that like those tabs covered it’s quite subdued. I can’t see anyone getting a nic or cut on their ear lobes because of it. Then again, anything is possible with those that possess butterfingers.

I do have a couple of things that do have me a bit annoyed. First and foremost are the base plate markings. It does say Occam’s Razor on them but, it gives you nothing else. There is no way of knowing which plates are which in terms of mildness to aggressiveness for one to decide upon. It’s really a hands on type of approach and the only way one knows is by shaving with them. It would have been much easier to have some type of indicator to denote aggression levels for each plate. Secondly, Classic Shaving has two of the plates marketed as open combs. Well, if you look at the pics above closely, you will notice that there isn’t an open comb plate in the kit. They all have straight bars that run the length of the plates. I think it would have been better to just say these are sb plates with a sort of hybrid configuration as to give an open comb like feel while shaving. Not a big deal but, it would have kept things in perspective and given a truer description of what the razor plates are.

Those couple of things aside, which are just superficial, the razor actually shaves very well. I learned through trial that the plate with the largest holes is in my experience the most aggressive of the three showing good blade feel and superb cutting efficiency without being too harsh or uncomfortable. The second one would be the plate with the hybrid type vertical bars over the straight bar . These are slightly raised and do give a feel that sort of reminds me of the Muhle R41, similar but not alike. Provides a very nice and efficient feeling shave that is just a tad below the previous plate. And the final plate with the serrations is actually very EJ DE89 like with just a tiny bit more blade feel. Excellent for those looking for a comfy daily shaver that cuts better than the aforementioned razor, imo.

Overall, for the price of $65 it is a fantastic value and razor set up that gives you a full range of plates to suit one’s wants in cutting efficiency. Stainless Steel 316L make up, excellent fitment and preciseness with performance that punches way above its weight. Anyone that’s in the market for a quality made razor made of an excellent alloy should really consider this razor as an option. Not everyone wants to spend hundreds of $$$ in a razor and this one with quite a few others in the market is definitely another option worth considering...

3057DE41-DC55-49E1-A567-39736FA0ABC2.jpeg

MR41, steve207, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

fantastic razor and review Gus..

jgreenepa and Str8on2 like this.
  3. flash75

flash75 Member

Thank you for this nice review..

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

brit and Str8on2 like this.
  4. Str8on2

Thank you, Gents. Much appreciated.... :eatdrink047:

brit likes this.
  5. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Nice review Gus. I like the look of the "open" comb base and was considering buying one because it is unique with the bar and holes. I also like the look of the ridge on the one top cap even though a feeler isn't really necessary for someone experienced. I still may pick one up like I need another razor. If I do, it will probably be only one flavor since the variations don't seem to add much and I would probably only use my favorite combination. Thanks for sharing.
    Steve.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Excellent review.

I can definitely see the vintage heritage in every inch of this razor. From the DE89 inspired mild plate, to the R41 inspired middle plate, to the Apollo Red Ring inspired aggresive plate. Paired with an Aristocrat style barberpole handle.

Very nice. Adding this to my 'want' list.

clint64, Str8on2 and cliffb599 like this.
  7. Str8on2

Great pick up! Hadn't noticed that myself until you mentioned it. Agreed there's some really good resemblance to those razors mentioned.

clint64 and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. Smooth Steve

I gave in and ordered one yesterday
    Steve

BigD, jluc, Str8on2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Might be a Fatip rather than an R41 inspiration.
    I'm curious to know if the razor shaves like any of those, or if the resemblance is just superficial?

The red ring especially, is known as one of the most aggressive DE razors ever made.

Edit: Also curious as to how it compares to the Razorock Gamechanger. They are within spitting distance, pricewise, and the Gamechanger also has multiple baseplates available.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Smooth Steve and Str8on2 like this.
  10. Str8on2

I've never had experience with the Red Ring so, I can't say if there are any similarities to it and the Occam's DE. I will say that it feels sort of like a Blackbird the Occam's DE with the plate that has the biggest holes in it. Very similar and just as smooth. To me it does anyways.

Smooth Steve and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. Str8on2

Lol! Welcome to the frey, Steve...... :signs136:

Smooth Steve likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've never tried a red ring either.

I don't consider the blackbird to be an especially aggressive razor. It is a very efficient razor with a very narrow "sweet spot."

That about sum it up?

Smooth Steve likes this.
  13. Str8on2

Close enough. Perhaps a bit more intuitive and easier to get the angle is the Occam's....

PLANofMAN and Smooth Steve like this.
  14. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Nice write up, Gus!
    I'm only three shaves in with my Occam's and all with the "open comb" and so far I'm impressed. I find it very smooth with a decent amount of blade feel. The "partial open comb" is up for tomorrow.
    Have a good night.

15. Str8on2

Thank you. :thanks:
    Indeed. It has been a very pleasant surprise and quite good for the money.

Happy shaves amigo... :shaver

Smooth Steve, jluc and brit like this.
  16. Smooth Steve

I have the R41, Red Ring, and first gen Game Changer. I’ll be able to compare at least the open comb version to those, but I must say the Red Ring is mild to me. It is one of my favorite razors. I believe it is very smooth while efficient and leave it adjusted to give a bit more blade gap. I am hoping the Occam preforms similar and am looking forward to it. I’ll try and give my take on it as well. I expect it to be a good value, comfortable shave.
    Steve

clint64, PLANofMAN and cliffb599 like this.
  17. Smooth Steve

Lol. I’m a sucker for cool looking razors.
    Steve

clint64, cliffb599 and Str8on2 like this.
  18. Str8on2

I put these 2 razors up against each other, the START .90 OC & Occam's Hybrid OC. Both fairly new in the DE world but, they are each phenomenal razors that offer excellent value and performance. The START is just a bit smoother feeling on the face with less blade feel yet efficient. While the Occam's has a bit more blade feel and just a notch below the Start in terms of smoothness. Still both are great on the skin and are winners out of the gate. On price I give the edge to the Occam's for @$65, find me a better value made of the same SS 316 alloy and virtually 5 razor set ups to tailor it to ones needs? Doesn't exist (perhaps the Rockwell 6s). The START is a bit more but, is also a step up in quality and finish. And I really enjoy what this razor kit delivers in terms of performance.

No losers really.....
    zd7a5zP.jpg

BigD, jluc, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  19. Smooth Steve

I just received my Occam razor with OC base with ridge cap and used it this morning for the first time. Loved it. Great value, look, and shave. The only flaw, which is minor, is that the top of the handle does not mount flush with the curved bottom of the base plate. This doesn't pose any problem and the head stays on tight, but in my opinion, they should have machined a flat round surface or counter bore on the base plate for a perfect seal when assembled. Probably the average user would never notice this, but one of my enjoyments of the hobby is admiring precision machined products. Nevertheless, a great razor and although only used once, I feel I can recommend it to anyone looking for a quality shaver. If on the fence, just get it.
    Steve

Str8on2, jluc, cliffb599 and 2 others like this.
  20. Str8on2

Did you try contacting them, Steve? I’m pretty sure they’ll send you a replacement. CS has actually been pretty good in assisting customers with product issues as of late. I know on a couple other forums shave members have been complementing them on their quick responses and getting things right, especially with the Occam’s DE razor. Nice write up by the way.

Happy shaves my friend... :happy088:

clint64 and Smooth Steve like this.