The Daily Double.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GAW9576, Nov 28, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

This is a thread for all razor types. Pictures are greatly encouraged. The rules are simple: two or more razors required.
    Some razors are just better for a certain area of the shave. Sometimes you want to try a new razor but have a trusted razor on hand as a backup. I mostly just enjoy using more than one razor to though my collection more often. Whatever the reason it can make for a great and enjoyable shave.
    Multiple brushes and soaps combinations can be great too.

To kick things of here is my Thanksgiving day shave.
    Henkels Rapide with 4th use Gem by Ted Pella.
    Durham Duplex with aluminum handle using a first use Perssona pathology blade.
    The Durham was tugging a little bit on the first pass but the Henkels finished that up wonderfully and I enjoyed most of the second pass with the Durham. Then my wife cleaned up the back of my neck with the Henkels. All in all a very enjoyable shave. I have a few more Durham's on the way including one of the straight razor style with the stropping attachment. I look forward to try Durhams with a stripped blade I've read that it's quite an improvement.

[​IMG]

I hope to see your shaves soon. Especially @Chuck Naill, @Flintstone65 and @Tanuki.

jaro, Tanuki, PLANofMAN and 4 others like this.
  2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I have an early start so am post tonight for tomorrow’s DD. PAA Alpha Ecliptic slant and folding Feather SS
    63E3C095-985C-4900-AB4A-8D2C55FA6770.jpeg

Did a WTG using the slant and ATG with the Feather. Perfect result and no sting from the Aqua Velva.

Thanks to Greg for starting the thread. I remember using two while learning to use a shavette and later a straight razor. Also, it’s a great way to use all the razors in your collection. ;)

Pleased to see my good friend @Flintstone65 aka Fred joining in as well.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Manumik, Ron R, Tanuki and 4 others like this.
  3. GAW9576

Very nice shave you have set for tomorrow. Thanks for posting.

brit likes this.
  4. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

Great thread, I'm thinking up a Daily Double for my next shave -- I'll post it here when it happens!

brit and GAW9576 like this.
  5. GAW9576

Looking forward to it.

brit likes this.
  6. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

19 doubles for me in November, mostly a straight or shavette for the first pass and a DE or SE for the second. This final November double is a new type for me:

German Bailout Double:
    Pass 1: Muhle R41/Supermax Blue Diamond (1)
    Pass 2: Merkur 37C / Feather (6)
    Soap: RazoRock For Chicago
    Brush: custom boar, olive wood handle, scrubby loft
    After: alum, witch hazel, a touch of Proraso green lotion
    E0D6E778-0827-408E-8CE0-0EA66BAD8BC4.jpeg
    This was my first shave with the R41 in a long time. After a very cautious and not particularly effective first pass, I was annoyed, as usual, with the complete lack of safety in this razor. The 37C was loaded, no-brainer. Yank that ripcord! It delivered a an efficient, close and comfortable finish.

7. Flintstone65

A nice daily double today: Schick E3 with a Chick blade (my first SE razor -- thank you @Chuck Naill) and a Gillette Sheraton with a Nacet. First pass with the E3, second pass with the Sheraton, and I did do a little touch-up with the E3...got a DFS+ shave! Cella lathered with a Jayaruh #270. It's been too long since my last daily double -- these are great fun and I definitely need to do more. When I do, I'll post it here! :)
    [​IMG]

Tanuki, Ron R, GAW9576 and 3 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Flintstone65 and GAW9576 like this.
  9. Chuck Naill

I didn't know you had the Sheraton. Those are some of the most beautiful razors Gillette produced IMO. Congratulations sir.

10. GAW9576

Good to see you both here. You also @Chuck Nail. @brit I hope you join with a Daily Double shave but you are welcome here either way.

Tanuki and Flintstone65 like this.
  11. Flintstone65

Thanks, and I agree -- plus it's a nice shaver as well!

GAW9576 likes this.
  12. Chuck Naill

Can't allow my good friend, @Flintstone65 to get ahead of me. Here is a DD that included a Gillette Sheraton and a rare Eversharp Krona.
    DD.jpg

Tanuki, Ron R, brit and 1 other person like this.
  13. GAW9576

Had a great Daily Double today with my Gillette thin cap on ABC scroll handle with a 1st use Voskhod blade and my recently straightened out Gem Damaskeen with a fifth use Ted Pella blade.
    This was my first shave with a Voskhod and I like the blade so far. I can see why they are a popular blade.

[​IMG]

Tanuki, Ron R and brit like this.
  14. Chuck Naill

ABC model?? Nice DD

GAW9576 likes this.
  15. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Adjusted my beard line today. I wasn’t going to trust that to the R41, not after I held it up to the light and took a close look at its blade edge support. Or lack thereof. The Karve actually grips the blade top and bottom, doesn’t just leave it waving around above the comb. Still, I settled for a barely socially acceptable shave on the cheeks. I was focused on aesthetics.

Pass 1 Gold Dollar
    Pass 2 Karve brass OC-D plate / Supermax Blue Diamond (3)
    Cream base Cremo Cooling
    Soap Proraso Green
    Brush Omega 10005 boar
    79CFCCB5-E802-429D-8BE4-1315F18BCFFB.jpeg

GAW9576, Chuck Naill and brit like this.
  16. Chuck Naill

Conrad designed Barbasol branded razor and a Schick E “opening”, two 1930’s era superb shavers.
    E14CA60D-1663-4EB4-89A5-E9F8D4077E63.jpeg

I suspect some of my friends will be celebrating Micromatic Monday today.

Tanuki and GAW9576 like this.
  17. GAW9576

Back in the day lots of men couldn't read so Gillette introduced a razor that helped learn your ABCs while you shaved. Quite ingenious really.
    In all actuality I'm of course joking. ABC is American Button Company who produced the handle at least for these razors there were other designs too. This is the Scroll handle. The came in a pocket addition case. I believe they are cast because the metal is much thicker. I've read a little but never dug really deep into the history.

How do you like the Super Max blades?

Great shave. Does the Conrad have a floating head? It's going to be a later in the day for me I'm waiting for a razor to come in the mail. But I can definitely pair it with a micromatic and start that thread.
    Do they allow shavettes and the like in the straight razor thread you hang out in? If so I could post this one shave in 4 different threads here.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Tanuki likes this.
  18. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I bought 100. Best Indian blade I’ve tried so far. They suit me and fit in well with my Rapira Platinum Lux and Feathers. I think they are plenty sharp, but my eldest rejected them as not sharp enough (?) and prefers Astra SP. I gave him a couple Feathers to try.

I also gave my youngest a blade selection and actually got him to take a (slightly used) Speick stick with him back to college. He is a shower shaver and has resisted shave soap. He has a tuck of Supermax, so I’ll get his review of them, maybe by Christmas!

GAW9576 likes this.
  19. GAW9576

I can't remember if you ever tried Blue Birds or not. I just tried Voskhods for the first time and they seem pretty good so far. Next time I need to get blades I may get a sample pack or build my own sample pack at try a blade.
    I like Feather and Kai. And have use a few Astra with good results.

20. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

It was a close decision for me between Voskhod and Rapira PL. I hadn’t even registered that Derby made blades called Bluebirds until just now. Oddly, they are cheaper on the Razor Blades Club website than on Amazon. So you like them? Derby Extras are a fine blade for me, but not a first choice. I used RBC for my sampler, some day I may get More than half way though it! [shrug] :)

But today is Monday:
    Robert Klaas ‘Kissing Cranes’ SR
    Gem 1912 / PTFE (3)
    Cremo Cooling / RazoRock triple milled lime puck
    Scrubby Semogue boar
    D6BE2E1E-F7FD-41F2-8153-899993746A1F.jpeg
    A baby step, moving the beard up the neck and re-establishing the side whiskers (they lost some ground to the SR learning curve). The Klaas edge is thriving under the diamond pasted balsa strop regimen. The golden boy is my most pristine 1912 and gives me the best shaves - or am I just seduced by the illusion that it’s brand new?

Ron R, Manumik and GAW9576 like this.