Durham show thread was Durham duplex???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GAW9576, Nov 20, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of try out a Durham Duplex safety razor. I've read there are new blades that are compatible but wondered what blades are available and what people with experience think of them.

Also if you want to share pictures of your Durhams that is very welcome and encouraged here. Any model safety razor or straight razor style. I am thinking I'd like both.
    I did a bit of searching and all the threads were quite old. So I figured I start a new one.

Hodge and kjbarth like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I have 2
    one with a handle like a DE
    one with a handle like a straight.
    The blades I have are not the sharpest.
    The only ones avalible new.
    If you want a blade or two I'll send you some.
    Just PM me your addresss.
    tp

PanChango and kjbarth like this.
  3. GAW9576

@Terry I've been reading that there actually several blades available. What ones do you have?

kjbarth likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Per the other thread I have the Personna Pathology blades which I can share.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

kjbarth likes this.
  5. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

kjbarth likes this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

That's what I have.

kjbarth likes this.
  7. GAW9576

Thanks @Terry but @jmudrick beat you to it and I sent him a PM.

I'd love to see some pictures of some Durham's. I know there a few different styles but there may be some that I'm not even aware of.

kjbarth likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Here ya go.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ilts and brit like this.
  9. GAW9576

Thank you for the great picture.
    I love the look of the one on the left and the one in the middle/back. Ive only seen a few pictures of those before. They all look like there in excellent condition. I've seen the one on the right in antique stores but they never really spoke to me. I've also seen the straight razor style in antique stores but never knew weather blades were available. You certainly have a beautiful collection of razors and well varied from what I've seen.
    I have my eyes on a few different razors so hopefully I will own a Durham or two soon.

10. GAW9576

So here are the two Durham's I've gotten so far. There are two more in transit and should be here tomorrow or Monday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I look forward to srtopping a blade and trying it out when the straight style razor comes, it has the stropping attachment. The first shave with the aluminum handled razor was a little tuggy on the first pass but pretty good on the second pass.

ilts, Jim99 and PanChango like this.
  11. GAW9576

The third razor arrived today. It needs a little cleaning but is in pretty good shape. I think this is the one I will shave with the most because they seem to be more common that the other two. Looks like razor number four will be here Monday. And it was shipped the same day as the rest and coming from only about an hour and forty minutes away. Go figure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ron R, ilts, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  12. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Here's My Durhams DSCF4233.JPG 12/02/19

Ron R likes this.
  13. GAW9576

Very nice. Thank you for posting the picture. I really like the orange/red handle and the black handle. I couldn't find any in good shape with the stropping attachment which I see you have. My 4th Durham should be here today. It's a straight style kit with the stropping attachment. Also I see that the orange / red when you have is a demonstrator model with the not to be sold stamp. I've seen those before in black but not that color. I've never been able to tell from pictures what type of material are those scales made from.

ilts likes this.
  14. GAW9576

The fourth Durham arrived today. Ot just needs a little cleaning and sanitizing and it will be ready to go. Not enough time today so it will have to wait for an day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN, ilts, Ron R and 1 other person like this.
  15. GAW9576

Chuck Naill likes this.
  16. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'm Not Sure What They Are Made Of My First Guess Would Be Bakelite

GAW9576 likes this.
  17. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

18. GAW9576

Wow. I saw that page before but didn't remember the Durham part. I had a W&B DE razor for a while. It took proprietary blades but a modified modern blade worked. I only shaved with it once and ended up trading it to a friend. He doesn't use it so I may reacquire it in future trading. I really like my W&B straight.

19. GAW9576

I tried stropping one of the Personna pathology blades with the straight razor style Durham today on my paddle strop. The blade seems to make good contact on one side but seems to be held up off the strop on the other. I may need to get a hanging strop which has a bit more flex in it to get good contact on that side. I'll try shaving with the blade tonight and see if there's any difference.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I would say bakelite as well, just from the color. The white handled one is probably made from cellulose acetate.

GAW9576 likes this.