The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

My stuff usually comes USPS. This time it was FedEx.

I cannot confirm or deny that it came by one of those Custom Critical teams since they were here and gone.

Shave report is on the way for 24 x 57 High Mountain brush.

2. Edison Carter

Uh oh
    :scared003:

There was an EdT..... Got some of that too

3. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I don't blame her. Until 3 months ago I only used balm, but because of some lurking here I saw some positive things said about Clubman (which I have seen in drugstores since the dawn of time). Got curious and bought a bottle--VERY pleased with that purchase. Seems like Clubman would pair up with a smokey scent quite well, actually.

Thankfully, I only need to impress one lady ;)

4. Edison Carter

Still doing some testing on the NEW Supply injector blades. Other stuff new from Stirling.

Stirling Grapefruit with Menthol
    Stirling Collapsible Shave Bowl
    Stirling 24x57mm High Mountain White Badger brush.
    Supply polished stainless, 2 dot plate
    New version blade from Supply (4)
    Stirling Grapefruit with Menthol AS

Been busy on vacation with the Mrs this week
    Went in for an EchoCardioGram needed before another sleep study
    Went to the lawyer to finalize our Will & stuff
    Did my 4th and final sleep study so I can get a Positive Air Pressure machine
    Working on the turkey leftovers..... I'll never make dressing/stuffing without bacon again..... Yum
    Help prepare #2 offsprung estrog unit prepare for apartment living
    See the lawyer again
    Breakfast buffet at the Amish Market.
    Pack away huge hoard of new and not needed shave supplies
    Relax
    Did I say turkey stuffing with bacon is awesome?
    Found some time to get called names on a shave forum
    And.... Thanksgiving dressing with bacon rules.

I tried soup and cereal in this bowl and it was horrible. Whoever said bowls are for soup clean missed it.

First drive with this brush. It barely fits in the smaller Stirling tubs or is it cakes, or pucks? Whatevah, The Blue Ming had come and gone, wet soap?, yup. (probably out pilfering my stuffing with bacon and gravy by now). I do gotta ask, do people really use brushes bigger than this? I mean, it exploded when it got wet.

Then with the little paddles I this bowl, I frothed up a suds like never seen. I mean it was spuming forth at spume warp 10. I'll probably have to duck when I use mutton tallow soap. If I go minimalist, this is the bowl, and $6. Max Headroom approved.

Every body knows how much value there is in all Stirling brushes (except maybe the boar shredders), this is no exception. If you wanna go badger, yup for performance, this one tops my hand tied, hand made Super Badger that cost me over 2x as much.

Supply Single Edge Stainless rocked it with 4 shaves on their new blade. I'll keep going, but not Excaliburistic.

Performance of the soap and AS are grest, like always. Stirling is usually awesome on citrusy stuff. Nothing bad here, but not enough bells ringing for a rebuy, certainly no Max Headroom hoarding.

Y'all have a great weekend. Back to woik Monday.

[​IMG]

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I was interested in a High Density, but $$$$$$ held me back.

6. Paul Turner

You're right, the Original aftershave has been in the drugstores a long time. I think the shampoo should be, too.(Country Club).

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Great post! Have a great weekend.

8. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Well my order is coming FedEx this time which means their “efficiency model” might delay the delivery until Monday! I was tracking the order to within 120 miles to my east in Idaho, then the next update showed it 300 Miles to my west in Oregon. There’s now a strong chance it will head 120 miles north into Washington before reversing course, waiting another day, then finally starting towards MY house. It happens just about every time Black Rifle ships my coffee through FedEx. Thanks for letting me rant.

9. Edison Carter

Rant is good sometimes.

Rod drops in every once in a while. If FedEx is failing he should know.

10. Paul Turner

A Fed X drove through our complex driveway yesterday. Wasn't failing here.

11. Latherin’ Luddite

I think most of the problem is just between my ears. In the “good ol’ days” before computers, we had to phone in orders (or mail in an order form) and then WAIT. Now we can track our orders online and see just how many miles our little boxes of treasures travel. Even worse, Amazon has conditioned us to except everything to arrive in two days, even for us rural folks. So realistically it’s only been a week, and I just need to be more mature about this.

FedEx is NOT in the same gut-busting hurry that UPS is though. But I guess without them we’d pay even higher shipping costs, so I can either start my own company or get quiet now.

12. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Great review Bill as is typical of you. Just a couple of questions on the brush - does it hog lather? Is it soft?

13. Edison Carter

I have only used it once, but I don't believe that I used more soap than other similar size brushes...
    .... and I don't yet have comparative results on the brush and/or bowl individually....
    The pair was fabulous.

I'll never take anything away from how great modern synthetics are, but my fave brush is my singular Simpson, a 'Super Badger' hand tied knot....
    ... The new one from Stirling beats out the great Stirling Fan Badger, and gets very close to the Simpson. $$$ Let's see.... 2 Stirling High Mountain or 1 much smaller Simpson $$$
    ??? Obviously you get both ;) but on economics, Stirling.

Like the top of the line Simpson,
    The tips are soft, but not like a synthetic, and the hairs have some nice backbone and don't flop around.

I like it, it is luxury, but I'll tell a minimalist to get the synthetic. I use my Stirling Tuxedo more than any other brush, wish the handle was a little taller tho.

Hope this helps you to buy yourself one for Christmas....... because your probably gonna do it anyhow.

:cool:

14. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thank you Bill - great review. And, you are probably right about me buying one:)

Frijolero, ezlovan and Linuxguile like this.
  15. Latherin’ Luddite

Thanks for the feedback. That’s what I needed to know before officially adding it to my wish list.

Now it’s a matter of the new butterscotch or black handle. Black shows soap residue around the knot base, but looks classy when shined up like a black sports car. If Stirling’s version of ivory resin is the same color as the ivory in their Tuxedo and boar brushes, I’ll hold out hope for an ivory handle. The Simpson traditional look is really entrenched in my decision making center.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  16. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

What is your take on both Royal and D-503? leaning heavy towards getting a high density brush and not sure if i should take a chance on either of these at the same time!

17. Edison Carter

I only have the bath soap on D-503, that I like better than the Royal.

Both are kind of floral to me. Maybe in the family of Stirling blue and Stirling for Him. I'll use Royal, but not repurchase. If it is around long enough, I'll get some D-503 AS for me when I need to make a Christmas gift order soon.

All the Stirling brushes represent great value in my book.

18. brit

brit in a box

d-503 is a mont blanc legend dupe..lovely scent..

19. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I was ordering a bunch of Stirling gift cards as Christmas gifts today, and couldn't help myself--finally pulled the trigger on a sample of Texas on Fire.

I await its arrival with an equal measure of eagerness and trepidation.

20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD December 7, 2019

Prep: Cold water and PAA Cube pre-shave soap
    Blade: Personna
    Razor: Schick G4 '66'
    Brush: Artisan badger
    Soap: Stirling Meghalaya

Nice first shave with Meghalaya. Masculine scent based on Ralph Lauren Supreme Oud (I think). Nice scent.

SOTD 12-7-19.jpg