Stropping after Honing

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gssixgun, Dec 4, 2019.

?

Stropping after Honing, What do you think/do

1. Strop only on Plain Leather

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Strop first on Plain Linen then Plain Leather

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  3. Stropping is determined by the finisher I used

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. Strop first on a pasted strop then one of the above

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I've honed a few for new SR users. I communicated they could shave as soon as they get the razor back because I have already stropped.

Karl G, Keithmax, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I also have a similar letter from Glenn and continue to follow his stropping instructions. It’s worked well for me.

Glenn is ‘da man!
    :happy088:

3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The way that I came about my stropping numbers is mostly practical. After honing, I tried flax after jnat and liked canvas after jnat better, I thought that the edges were smoother. I tried flax after coti and liked the edges better than canvas after coti, the flax picked up the coti edge and made it smoother, unlike the jnat edge.

I started with 20 canvas/40 cordovan after every shave. No reason, I just thought this was a reasonable number. The edges lasted OK but talking with Alfredo, he said that he did 35 suede/65 cordovan after each shave and didn’t use the canvas. So I tried that and my edges last longer.

Todd Simpson, the electron microscope fellow, said that not much happens on leather before 200 strokes. I can feel a difference sooner than that, but I’m using suede in combination, or canvas if needed. Based on what I’ve tried and what Alfredo said, about 100 strokes on suede/leather seems to work pretty well.

I should probably try 200 on an edge longevity test next time that I do one, but I don’t want to spend my life stropping my razor. There’s no point in spending a lot of time stropping when a few minutes touching up on a finishing hone will do the same thing every 20-30 shaves. Except out of curiosity.

4. Chuck Naill

How interesting reading everyone's stropping practices. What I do is the result of learning what works. I do 15 chromium oxide pasted suede followed by 50 200k diamond pasted balsa followed by linen and horse hide before shaving. There might be one hundred better ways to do it, but this is what works for everyone razor I use. My standard of comparison is a Feather SS with a AC Pro Guard blade. If I get the same as shavette, I figure my skill set can do the rest.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

You should upgrade to 250k cBN pasted nanocloth then you can get really smooth edges that you will have to upgrade your standards to Feather AC DX with the 100% Guard Free Super Pro Blades.

Karl G, Keithmax and SevenEighth like this.
  6. Chuck Naill

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....:D

Karl G and brit like this.
  7. Edison Carter

Just didn't think you'd actually settle for less than best.

Keithmax likes this.
  8. Chuck Naill

What made you think I don't have the best, Edison? How would you know? What me to hone one of your razors so you can know what you're talking about? Until then you are an unreliable narrator.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  9. Edison Carter

I thought that might move you to your default position of name calling.

10. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I think the pro blades out perform the pro guard blades. I have some super pro blades I haven’t tried yet .... Just my 2 cents

I strop between progressions.

After honing I use progressive diamond pasted balsa

Then finish with naked leather

Karl G, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  11. Chuck Naill

Well, you were not called a name. Perhaps it‘ s an unfamiliar literary term.

Any who, I don’t suffer trolling and arrogance.

12. Edison Carter

For what it is worth you excel at trolling and arrogance.

13. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

OK, I will ask that we move on. I appreciate everyone who posts their comments. Obviously, we will not always see things in the same way. I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  14. Edison Carter

At least before somebody starts running around calling people racists and bigots like he did me.

15. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Hey, you can call me anything you like. I have thick skin. Grin. Hope both of you have a great Christmas season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SevenEighth and Karl G like this.
  16. Edison Carter

Hope you have a great Christmas too.

Karl G and lightcs1776 like this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I like arko!!!!
    :scared003:

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I like Arko too :eek:

DaltonGang and Karl G like this.
  19. Edison Carter

You are supposed to love Arko

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:char039: sorry my bad, I must have been under the influence....... I LOVE Arko

I even own the rare Arko EDT.