The "what is" and " how to" thread for the Rolls Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gregindallas, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Steve_Keyte

Steve_Keyte Active Member

Hi pisces_O, the case is just cardboard, so it's even more surprising it has survived in such good condition for so long, here are some more pictures of it:
    2019-12-07 11.25.35.jpg 2019-12-07 11.25.53.jpg 2019-12-07 11.26.29.jpg 2019-12-07 11.30.20.jpg 2019-12-07 11.27.38.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Steve_Keyte

Here's some pictures of another boxed set which I've never seen advertised in any of Rolls advertising literature, I think this set is post-war:

2019-12-07 11.31.19.jpg 2019-12-07 11.31.51.jpg 2019-12-07 11.32.13.jpg 2019-12-07 11.32.43.jpg

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Stunning sets!
    oooh.gif

4. Rickc

Rickc New Member

I agree with Pisces! Where do you pick up this beauty! The soap jar looks like Bakelite- similar to the pots of strop paste.

5. Rickc

Rickc New Member

Also were the spare strop and hone part of the kit or in addition to?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  6. Steve_Keyte

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the soap dishes are Bakelite, a couple I have are a mottled red / brown finish and another is brown, finer mottled finish, unfortunately this one has suffered cracks to the bowl and loss of gold finish to the trademark logo on the lid.
    The empty soap dishes do appear on Ebay here in the UK occasionally, but it's rare to find them with the soap, I have one bowl with part work soap which I use occasionally, the one in the soap and brush set had an unused puck of soap and I have a refill puck in its box, again this is unused 2019-12-08 19.54.43.jpg 2019-12-08 19.54.49.jpg

7. Steve_Keyte

No, I'm pretty sure that the previous owner purchased the strop and hone some time after purchasing the 'compact' set, the envelopes in which they came have a price pencilled on them, 5/2 for the hone (about 26p or 0.32USD and the strop was 4/- (about 20p or 0.26USD) these prices would appear to be post war, as the pre-war prices for the hone and strop are a lot less than this,

Steve

8. Rickc

Rickc New Member

Great find! Issue in Canada is finding a hone that isn’t cracked. I have a few Bakelite items (Don’t ask!) that I really brightened up using metal polish called NevrDull.

I currently use an original Bakelite pot of strop paste that was new old stock and came with info sheet and original sandpaper. Also have spare blade that came in a similar red Bakelite case.

9. Steve_Keyte

There are a lot of Rolls units on the UK ebay site (usually around 150) of varying price and condition, if the razor you have is in good condition and you need a hone, it's probably easier to find a complete unit, which is in poor condition but has a good hone and use the hone from that to replace a broken one in your good razor, this is what I've done in the past, new old stock hones and strops do come up every now and again, but at a premium price, often more than the price of a complete, good condition razor!

Steve

Jabez 58 likes this.
  10. Rickc

Rickc New Member

I have had better luck on Etsy than on eBay. Rolls seem to be about the same price on there but usually in much better condition. Bought an aluminum Viscount that was in decent shape and bought two Imperials. All in original boxes. Once of the Imperials was like new, it even had the instructions and the piece of tissue paper that was over the hone.

I bought one from this guy:

www.etsy.com/ca/listing/694930148/

Wants 58 bucks Canadian.

Interestingly I find the stropping action of the Imperial 2 to be way smoother than the Viscount. I suspect that the body of the Viscount flexes a bit.

11. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Wow that’s a really tidy set, ive not seen a Rolls one before.
    I have a nice Rolls soap dish that I keep my Haslinger sheep milk soap puck in.
    Yep I agree if you can post some more pictures that would be great
    Gra

12. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

“if the razor you have is in good condition and you need a hone, it's probably easier to find a complete unit, which is in poor condition but has a good hone and use the hone from that to replace a broken one in your good razor”

Totally agree and in my experience it’s far been harder to find real good blades rather than hones (especially off the bay) And I think like many others hooked on rolls razor we have an ever growing collection of units for spares/parts.
    eBay UK always has loads up for sale but the price has been rising over the last few years.
    But the real question is...why are they so addictive??
    Gra

13. Steve_Keyte

Hi Gra,
    Which set would you like more pictures of, the 'Compact' or the soap bowl and brush set?
    Like you, I've noticed that the price of Rolls razors have been steadily rising, perhaps people are now re-discovering these razors, as part of the general resurgence of interest in 'traditional' wet shaving as opposed to cartridge razors.
    I have a collection of about 40 (don't laugh.....) Rolls razors, Rolls magazine adverts, mirrors, for and seven blade box sets - you get the idea LOL

Steve

macaronus likes this.
  14. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Hi steve, the soap bowl and brush please
    I have a soap bowl in good working condition, when I got it, it was clean all washed out and unfortunately the logo has lost any inlay on it, I must admit to just rubbing some soap into it to make it stand out ( now how sad is that ha ha )
    I love using it, it's a nice mottled red and I'm sure it's Bakelite. I use it regularly just like one of my rolls razors.

Oh 'eck around 40 Now that is really impressive
    I've got about 18 or so left now as I've given a few away to brothers and sons to try and encourage some real shaving . I am pleased to say that finally my wife has given up all hope and now just accepts what she calls my strange obsession .
    Gra

15. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

My go to Rolls Razor soap bowl.
    Gra.

16. Steve_Keyte

Gra, you can re-finish the embossed logo on the lid using Amaco Rub'N Buff, Antique Gold which is available from Amazon, basically it's like gold leaf in a tube, just clean the area to be treated, rub some on, which will fill the embossing and wipe off the surplus and it's as good as new.
    I'll put some pictures of the bowl and brush set when I get home this evening

Steve

17. Steve_Keyte

Here are more pictures of the soap bowl / brush box set:
    2019-12-11 19.42.42.jpg 2019-12-11 19.43.01.jpg 2019-12-11 19.43.15.jpg 2019-12-11 19.43.45.jpg 2019-12-11 19.44.07.jpg 2019-12-11 19.44.24.jpg 2019-12-11 19.44.54.jpg

18. Steve_Keyte

And here is a lid of a soap dish which I've restored the embossed trademark using the Amaco 'Rub.N Buff' metallic finish:
    2019-12-11 20.25.04.jpg

macaronus and brit like this.
  19. Rickc

Rickc New Member

That looks great. A quick google comes up with bowls of various colours. Red, brown and some cool looking black ones in Australia and New Zealand.

20. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Hi Steve, that lid logo looks fantastic and I must say a million times better than dried soap
    I will search out some and give it a go, thanks for the info.
    It’s an impressive looking set not seen a complete one before.
    There would appear to be a huge difference in the colouring of each bowl which I think gives a great individual feeling to them.
    The obsession continues as today in an antique emporium in Hungerford I picked up another un boxed imperial today ! In good clean condition, complete and all working ok, the original? blade (48 stamp on it)also looks clean and is un chipped however shoved inside the case in a sadly well cracked/broken bakerlite case was what I can only call a new mint blade!! Jackpot ✨and for the huge sum of £7.50 well pleased .
    Gra.