Brushmakers Thread - Calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Here are three brushes I made a while ago and finally got knots in.
    Left to right. Black Walnut and Olive with boar this one has a wipe on poly finish. Black Walnut with horse hair knot and a Black Walnut with brass shavings and epoxy vein and a blond horse hair knot. These two have a tung oil finish.

[​IMG]

2. GAW9576

And here are the other two brushes over been working on. I need to figure out what knot yo put in the shorter handle. It's drilled for a 26mm. I will be keeping these two since a good friend of mine has more brushes that I've made than I do. I figure it's time to treat myself to some of my work.

[​IMG]

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Quite nice!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9nein9, kjbarth and GAW9576 like this.
  4. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Love the epoxy ‘vein’. Very unique!

9nein9 and GAW9576 like this.
  5. GAW9576

Thanks. The cup cracked when I was making it and I was reading to toss it. A friend suggested making it a feature similar to the Japanese Kintsugi art form. I'm glad he suggested it.

RyX, Enrico, 9nein9 and 1 other person like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

GAW9576, 9nein9 and kjbarth like this.
  7. GAW9576

Have you used tung oil on brush handles or other wood projects? I'm wondering how it will hold up over time. I really like the look and love the feel of it. This is pure tung oil and I also actually like the smell.

That is so many coats of CA I lost count.
    I'm getting better at the technique but it's still a bit frustrating at times. But when it's finally done WOW.

I am mostly leaning that. I get far less irritated when I mess up. I look at things more objectively to see if things can be salvaged or if this is possibly an improvement over my original idea

Tanuki, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

What finish did you use? It looks nice!

GAW9576, brit and kjbarth like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I don't have a lathe anymore nor the space in my apartment to have one, so I'm looking for someone to possibly make a couple handles for me. I'd like a Simpson Keyhole style (in lacewood or Sycamore) for one and one like this one in white oak.

Scotch Barrel Shaving Brush.jpg

I prefer to set my own knots (this seller really buggered these up). As I said just an unfinished handle with no knot.

PM me if you're interested.

:eatdrink013:

Dave in KY, RyX, 9nein9 and 3 others like this.
  10. GAW9576

The black walnut and olive wood one has a wipe on poly the two others have a pure tung oil finish. Then the next two that I posted are Gaboon ebony with a mystery chunk of burl and the one with the knot is Gaboon Ebony and maple with a boar knot. Those both have CA finish.

Tanuki, kjbarth, brit and 4 others like this.
  11. GAW9576

Sometimes I have a picture either mental or actual photo that I use as a guide. But most of the time I just start turning and see where things go. Even when I have a picture things tend to turn out the way the wood wants more than the way I want.

Tanuki, kjbarth, brit and 3 others like this.
  12. GAW9576

For sure. Why fight it.
    Cool lizard by the way. Bearded Dragon right. We have 2 Bearded dragons, 4 Leopard geckos, and 3 Salamanders.

13. brit

brit in a box

looking fantastic and a dream to use..thank you Jason.. 20191201_085819.jpg

Dave in KY, ischiapp, RyX and 7 others like this.
  14. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

GAW9576, kjbarth and brit like this.
  15. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Smart friend, beautiful execution.

GAW9576 and kjbarth like this.
  16. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

I have been really wanting to start experimenting and making some brush handles etc.

I’ve never done it before and have no idea where to start. Anyone shed some insight on the basic equipment I’d need to get started? I’m sure there is some $$$ needed to start up this hobby but please help me out, I can’t seem to kick the itch of figuring this out

RyX, jtspartan, 9nein9 and 2 others like this.
  17. S Barnhardt

I'm no expert, ok? I'm tossing this out due to a small amount of experience "carving" wood and exposure to some other woodworking!

I'm thinking most "brush handle" makers are turning them on a wood lathe, so you would need to come up with that. You can come up with lathes from small ones with smaller prices to "BIG" ones with corresponding prices. Then the turning tools you need/want to do your work with. I'm thinking this could turn into a place to put your money much like collecting shaving accouterments can. This is probably a good and cheap is not the same thing kind of hobby.

Then you can carve a handle. It'd be harder, I'm thinking, to learn, but doable. Again tools for this are not cheap. This I know from first-hand experience. Good and cheap are not in the same sentence with this either.

Give it a shot! You never know what'll turn out to be.

RyX, 9nein9 and kjbarth like this.
  18. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

First, get eye protection. Get a full face mask if you’ll be using a lathe.

I’m a little on the low rent side. I got my Harbor Freight lathe, 8 decent chisels, a bunch of blanks, a ton of sandpaper, a Craftsman electric hollow grinder, a whole bunch of pen making tools and parts, and some miscellaneous items off craigslist for about the new price of the (cheap) lathe. So buying used is a possibility.

I already had a carpenter grade table saw, a mini band saw, a basic bench sander, a small drill press and Forstner bits, and miscellaneous useful woodshop hand tools including hones. I turn outdoors in good weather, so I don’t need a dedicated space and a wood dust collector. I have other hobbies to pursue during the bad weather.

You could easily get started making handles by carving and/or by using a small drill press with sanding drums for shaping. So you could get started with just a drill press and some Forstner bits. Plus an appropriate saw if you make your own blanks. Starting with softwoods will give you some experience about how your tools work. I used my local library’s catalogue of woodturning books extensively when I started out.

My big purchases have been a four-jaw chuck and, especially, Beall internal expanding collets.

As well as protecting your eyesight, be sure to hang on to all your fingers. If you’ve never had a woodshop class, take one. For the safety instruction, if nothing else.

Keithmax, RyX, jtspartan and 6 others like this.
  19. S Barnhardt

Good information! That sounds like the voice of experience talking!

:happy088:

RyX, kjbarth, 9nein9 and 1 other person like this.
  20. GAW9576

Many brick and mortar stores that sell lathes and other wood working supplies offer classes where you can turn a bowl, pen or other small project. This is an excellent way to get your feet wet. You'll get the safety tips and a feel for the tools. Woodcraft and Rockler are good example of this type of store.
    Many areas have wood working clubs/guilds that have classes. These would be another great resource.

Keithmax, RyX, jtspartan and 5 others like this.