What Car, Truck, or Other, do you drive??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Dec 9, 2019.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's been my philosophy for decades. No interest on a loan when bought for cash, and insurance is less. Recently retired an '86 Ranger. The new-to-me Mazda Tribute (ie;Ford Escape) is less than half as old being an '05. It's everything I need to haul grandkids around in the comfort I never had. I'm really enjoying having heat, and won't know how to act with AC next year.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

What happened with the Honda Fit!?!

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:happy088:

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I let it go last February. I had just under 150k on it. The engine ran great but everything else was wearing out. It was getting to the point that it was going to cost me too much to keep going. Some were wear items like the clutch and brakes, but the windshield seal was failing and I would need to scrape the inside of my windshield every morning. That got pretty old quickly. I found a deal on a certified manual trans 2016 forester with 38k on it that was on the lot too long and they gave me $2500 for the Fit. Not my first choice in vehicle, but unfortunately choices are pretty limited when searching out a manual trans.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeah, for sure; manual transmission vehicles are becoming harder to source for sure. My last row your own vehicle was a 2006 Scion Xb. That was most certainly among my favorite vehicles owned.

I have a 2018 Kia Soul Turbo that I thrash on every day, but it is a DSG car, not a true manual.

6. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I'm sold on buying used. Bought my Audi Certified used with 18,500 miles on it. Looked brand new. The warranty took me to about 90,000 miles. And it came with free oil changes and filters up to about 50,000 miles. It's always nice to sit down and calculate how much money I saved by going that route. I just put my first "repair" dollars into it. $5 for a small fuse that the Audi dealer wanted to charge me $2,600 to replace the entire part and another $400 for a transmission fan valve. I'm sure Audi would have wanted double that amount. They told me I needed a battery and gave me an estimate of $460. My mechanic replaced it for $250 with Audi OEM battery. The dealers are a ripoff. I went there for the free oil changes and recalls and when they told me I needed other things done I had my mechanic do it. Now that I'm completely outside of the warranty, I won't step foot in there again.

And you are right. Manual transmissions are hard to find, used or new. My car before the Audi was a Volvo S60 (when they were owned by Ford). I ordered it new from a dealer. And I insisted on a manual transmission. They looked at me like I was crazy. But I bought the lowest model with the smallest engine so it really needed a manual transmission. With the manual it was a blast to drive.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

You had that sweet PBR can shift lever. I still have that pic somewhere. I have a feeling this will be the last manual trans car I have. I don't think they will be around in 8-10 years when it is time for a new car.

My boss has an older Q5 and she just got soaked $1200 for an alternator. My ideal car would be a sporty station wagon with a manual trans. Station wagons are rare. Station wagons with manual trans are even more so. There is the VW, but I just cant bring myself to buy another VW not that Subaru is going to be any better in the long run.

brit, PLANofMAN and MntnMan62 like this.
  8. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

If we didn't have the Edge truck that was entirely my wife's choice since that's what she drives I would want a station wagon with the clearance of an SUV. We had a Subaru Outback LLBean years ago but bought the first year of a total remodel. The kinks hadn't been worked out. Just after the warranty expired the moonroof motor died. Every car I've ever had had a moonroof. And I've never had a moonroof motor die. Fortunately Subaru paid to fix it when I made a stink. But then we started to get some slippage in the transmission. That was the last straw. We traded it in for the used Acura MDX. I still liked the Outback though. I like that it's easier to get stuff up on the roof than a truck. I would have liked a Volvo XC70 wagon but now that Volvo is Chinese owned, I wouldn't touch one, even though they are still made in Sweden. I did hear that Audi is bringing back the A6 Allroad to the US market. Now that would be a nice follow up or addition to my sedan. I realize that Audis are made by VW but I've had no problems with mine, knock on wood. My brother had a Jetta years ago that he bought new and it was plagued with issues. Once he was driving along on the highway and the passenger side front window just dropped down into the door. No VWs for me either.

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

2011 Subaru Outback green ...... (me)
    2005 Subaru Forester red ........ (wife)

brit, cliffb599, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  10. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

2018 Tesla M3. I have being driving electric for about a year and a half and love it. I live in MI and have driven it to FL, PA, NJ, and Chicago twice with no issues of range, etc. Drives like a rocket and handles on rails. I can't say enough how much fun this car is to drive.

IMG_5102.jpg

11. brit

brit in a box

20190727_141759.jpg 20190727_163607.jpg
    with buddies cars at a mustang show..

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Awd Performance??

brit and Smooth Steve like this.
  13. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

2003 Chevy S10 LT Ext/Cab 4 WD.
    110.000 miles. She ain’t new but she’s Mine. Runs like a Top and no monthly payments. [​IMG]
    The Wife Drives. 2019 KIA Mini Van.
    No need for a picture of that.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Ursa, pisces_0, Enrico and 7 others like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That right there is a truck! ;)

brit, lightcs1776 and mayer57619 like this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

Beautiful.

brit likes this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

Love it! I see Tesla's everywhere I go, I live 25mins from the factory in Fremont CA.

17. RaZorBurn123

brit likes this.
  18. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Two vehicles:

A wonderful '99 Chevy Tahoe with 270k miles, very well maintained and driven 200 miles per week.
    The quintessential Subaru Forester, 2015 vintage, circa 70k miles

Enrico, brit, cliffb599 and 2 others like this.
  19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

What is the mile range on a full charge?

20. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Laredo with winter package. That gives me 4wheel low, and heated seats etc.

It’s an excellent dog hauler for weekends training and hunting. Crate and dog gear in back cargo area, guns and my gear in the back seat. Year old set of contis on/off road tires means I’ll get to work no matter what the weather.