Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Yes, our friend @mata_66 and you were responsible for educating us of just when these GEM razors were produced. Thank you. :happy096:

Perhaps allowing new users to know the angle to use the MMOC is in order.
    GEM Instructions 2.jpg

jimjo1031 and GAW9576 like this.
  2. Chuck Naill

And to think GEM was ahead of Gillette in producing a TTO mechanism.

Juno, Ron R and GAW9576 like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Yes they were years ahead of Gillette TTO razors and I believe Gillette took Gem to court to slow their development down because Gillette needed time in their TTO razor introduction & tooling up.(They tried to trip them up- but the GEM Micromatic open comb was introduced in 1930 and saved them from the Great Depression wrath of bankruptcies and mergers.)
    Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 and Chuck Naill like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gillette sued Segal over their 1931 TTO design, I'm not aware of suits against ASR re those design issues. Did I miss some action?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    GAW9576 likes this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

It was mentioned in a post over at B&B under the thread GEM RAZOR MODELS if I recall about slowing down GEM Micromatic introduction for market superiority at the time using legal means .

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hmm it is not mentioned in the Segal suit documents I posted about on that thread and I have never come across anything about it in my research.

GAW9576 likes this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Because you help do so much research on Gem Razors I went back & found the post, Post #281 at B&B -GEM RAZOR MODELS @mata_66 is another razor historian and he briefly mentions it and he has been fairly accurate on a lot of his historical material.
    [​IMG]
    mata_66
    Ron R said:
    Gem was way ahead in the twist to open (TTO) than Gillette by about 3 or 4 years until Gillette came out with their TTO models.
    Yes and Gillette, in its typical fashion, had the guts to sue Gem for Patent infringement [​IMG]

Quote Reply
    Have some great shaves!

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ok I'll take up the matter with @matta_66

GAW9576 likes this.
  9. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

Thanks for tagging me @Ron R, I had no idea this thread existed! Well done @GAW9576 -- looking forward to posting here and keeping and enjoying everyone's shaves!!!

10. Chuck Naill

Thank you for that information, @Ron R . I do think based on using a couple of MMOC and a late '30's Gillette Sheraton that the GEM design was better and less prone to gum up.

In a day where razors blade holders are made of pot metal and high cost, that we can get a brass holder for less than the price of a quality six pack will be a surprise to those considering the MMOC.

I also like how the MMOC clamps down the blade well.

jmudrick and GAW9576 like this.
  11. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

That is all on me my friend. I remembered to tag a few people in the
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-daily-double.63233/ but forgot to do so here. I'm glad you are here. Thank you @Ron R for amending my mistake.

Chuck Naill and Flintstone65 like this.
  12. Flintstone65

Chuck Naill and GAW9576 like this.
  13. Chuck Naill

My contribution today is a first generation BMMOC, VDH soap, and a PAA Atomic Rocket. BTW, there is something about an Aqua Velva man. ;)
    0796F7C2-225B-45FA-9F80-4D55A8D85913.jpeg

GAW9576, jimjo1031 and Ron R like this.
  14. mayer57619

mayer57619 Well-Known Member

Did a Micromatic Menthol Monday shave today[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday for myself today, I really like my Gem Damaskeene OC and it was a little keener today with a new Gem blade and technique maybe off a little? Still a wonderful great shave!

Razor : Gem Damaskeene open comb -MFG 1912-15
    Blade : Gem SS PTFE (1)
    Soap : Proraso Red Sandalwood
    Brush : Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm+
    Preshave: Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse.
    Post shave: Proraso red with witch hazel
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum indicated minor irritation + a couple of blemish weepers = [​IMG]
    GEMonday Dec 16-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

16. Flintstone65

I also jumped in with a GEM favorite -- and I copied @Ron R :) -- with my OC Dammy. I came away with a very nice 2-pass shave...not ultra-close, but definitely ultra-comfortable. Here are the details: Gem Damaskeene open comb with a GEM SS PTFE (10) | Omega Boar lathering RR Acqua | Finished up with Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel
    [​IMG]

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gem Junior Razor
    Gem Stainless Blade
    Surrey Boar Brush
    Proraso/Love My Skin Spearmint Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Rose
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue After Shave

Untitled.jpg

18. GAW9576

Great shaves Gentlemen. Glad you all kept things rolling without me. I made two pens yesterday and was more in the mood for a shower and soak in a ridiculously hot bath than a shave. Heresy, I know but sometimes it's just that way. I will make up for it today. These are for a friend who provided the deer antler. Man that stuff stinks when you work with it.

[​IMG]

19. GAW9576

I had to make up for not shaving yesterday so I went with three razors today. The wonderful and trusty Gem Jr. Bar and the first shaves with recently acquired Gem Featherweight and Pushbutton. All three razors shared a first use Gem SS. I lathered up with my boar brush and Mer Shavings mysore sandalwood with a dab of lubriderm for a tuch more moisture in this dry weather. The Featherweight handled the first pass on most the shave then the Jr. Bar took over. The pushbutton handle length helped handle things on the back of my neck.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Droo78, Ron R and Flintstone65 like this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

WOW, very very nice. Never seen pens in such detail.

GAW9576 and brit like this.