FROM THE WILD, vintage razors recently purchased or inherited...!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Sep 25, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

jgreenepa likes this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

EB0B0349-0C9D-4591-AE7F-11963DB473B5.jpeg ECD6F957-2C62-48C0-B013-7CAC31D695C3.jpeg EC03D038-DB76-4372-92D8-5F84FB79FC0E.jpeg Sounds less costly than my recent French razor RAD. Here are two I bought myself for Christmas. A Le Coq Caged Head NOS AND A Famex.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Angelo85, BBS, Jrdelgado and 4 others like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Two of my favorite razors, good score whatever the cost!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4. jgreenepa

Jeff:
    One of the members of our local shave meetup lent me his Caged Head. Great close shave! He told me that the Famex is more adjustable. I’m currently in negotiations for a Caged Head User. My Le Coq Caged Head NOS will go into the collection as is.

Jrdelgado, Hembree and Ron R like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Famex IS an adjustable razor. It doesn't have the exposure of the Caged Head but is a lot easier to use and still supremely efficient.

6. brit

brit in a box

Jrdelgado and Hembree like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That Famex is quite unlike mine. I don't think it is adjustable as it resembles the 1937 Patent with the Le Coq style cage rather than the upside down full cage which compresses to adjust.

[​IMG]

Here is the earlier adjustable Famex like mine with the compression cage (1929 Patent).

[​IMG]

Tedolph, Jrdelgado and Hembree like this.
  8. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

jgreenepa, brit and Jrdelgado like this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Jeff
    Correct me if I am wrong. But looking at the pictures @jgreenepa has. I believe the cage is mounted upside down. His is adjustable. The locating pins protrude though the entire cage. There is also the small raised lips on the slotted side as is your FAMEX.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brit, BBS and jgreenepa like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Duh of course you're right . Got thrown off by the different look of the cage .

Ron R, twhite and brit like this.
  11. jgreenepa

Thanks, Tom, but the razor is still in the mail. I sincerely hope you’re right, because I bought it because of it’s adjustability. I’ll post a response as soon as I receive it. The dealer didn’t know. So at this point I wait. Thanks!

Jeff

Ron R, twhite and brit like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is upside down. Though you can't see it from the picture, rule of thumb which ever side of the plate has the manufacturer's name on it or other markings goes to the outside with the cap on.

Ron R, brit and jgreenepa like this.
  13. jgreenepa

Thanks, Ron. I’m relieved!

brit likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is some examples of Famex and LeCoq base plates.
    Notice where the logo is on each.
    famx1.jpg famx2.jpg

Thing to be careful with the Famex razor heads is they do break if you over tighten them. The LeCoq can't be put together except with the cage open. The threads on the cap aren't long enough to put it together the opposite way. The cage is also stronger than the Famex and shouldn't be compressible for adjustment either even if you do switch the cap and use the LeCoq cage with Famex cap. At least that is what I found through trial and error.

Bonus razor pron picture of the set those Famex heads are from.
    famx3.jpg

brit and twhite like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Speaking of Famex razors if this seller didn't want so damn much for the catalog I would have already bought it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Catalogue-...E-Coupe-choux-couteaux-Annees-30/153526292484
    famcat.jpg

That is only one page but it probably has every documented set that was sold by Famex which the brand anyways is still being sold out of Germany as automotive and hand tools like torque wrenches, socket sets and such.

brit likes this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Since Jeff asked about handles and caps, here is the Famex with Rockwell cap, Tibam handle. The Rockwell has the long center post required to extend through the cage.

[​IMG]

Ron R, Hembree, brit and 1 other person like this.
  17. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Earlier this month I got from my mother for my birthday 2 vintage razors. On the left is an Apollo travel razor from the 1950’s. On the right a Leresche no34 in the blue case. 245F05AA-B01A-4EA1-A17A-ED40076EBA90.jpeg

Ron R and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Angelo85 likes this.
  19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Not an uncommon razor, but the condition was amazing. Picked up at an estate sale via an antique store owner who keeps an eye out for me.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

brit, Angelo85, Ron R and 1 other person like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

SharptoothC likes this.