Avon fans: if you had to pick ONE...

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by gorgo2, May 22, 2018.

1. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Hahaha no i cant picture her dad ever wearing cologne unless it smells like Chiseled Face Gearhead (formerly Redneck) or something that smells like gasoline or motor oil. He is a mechanic lol.

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

After winning a PIF from @Linuxguile and receiving Avon Legacy AS. I bought the cologne and another bottle of AS.

It's now my all time favorite! :happy108:

:eatdrink013:

Angelo85, richgem and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

very cool Keith..

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Just ordered two cans of Legacy scented talc after the seller accepted my offer.

:D

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

my mother sold avon in the 70s..very cool..

Enrico likes this.
  6. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

It's been years since my last use, but I liked Black Suede. I think I had a tube of after shave and some cologne.

In the 70s my mom had a regular Avon lady who visited the house, she was older and a walking advertisement for all that she sold, from jewelry to make-up to fragrance, dressed up and wore a hat, real classic look. After she retired we had another regular for a long time, and my retired dad actually filled in for her due to some health problems, then did it for a while when she retired from it. Fond memories!

7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I liked Black Suede.

brit likes this.
  8. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

\
    I had to revisit this thread, @gorgo2. Used Blend 7 after today's shave. I know you wanted us to choose one, but does it count if I only choose one at a time? I love Blend 7, but also my Island Lime, Spicy, Windjammer.....one? 20200806_162556_copy_600x800.jpg

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The opinion expressed in the above post is no longer operational. Either the bottle went bad on me or I suddenly realized it had too much muskiness, as lots of Avons did from that era. Anyhoo, I no longer own BB. My current favorite would have to be *spins Wheel of Frags* Windjammer. Sure, why not.

Apologies for any confusion, inconvenience, of lost income/relationships.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've been using Spicy alot lately ..... great stuff!

:eatdrink013:

11. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

:)

Enrico likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The Gearhead is a news to me. I suppose CF keeps adding on as does Phoenix, eh?

13. Landro

Landro Member

I have been using Wild Country since I was 15 and will always stick with it.

Angelo85 and Enrico like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The supply of Wild Country will never run out ..... when they produced it it seems they made five times more of WC than anything else.

:)

Landro, Angelo85 and Paul Turner like this.
  15. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I'm wearing Tai Winds today and loving it. While it does smell to me much like Brut, it has some other components that add to it and IMO make it better. The Dollar General Brut knockoff is maybe closer to Tai Winds than Brut is, but I'm not sure. I haven't used the DG version in a while, but I have a spare unopened bottle in one of my bins.

I cannot describe scents other than to say it smells somewhat like another after shave. When I read the components of a scent, I have no idea how it would smell.

I don't find Wild Country anything like Pinaud Clubman original. If anything, I found it reminiscent of Brut and Tai Winds, but would never mistake it for either. Tai Winds could easily be mistaken for Brut, to my nose.

I'm thinking of trying Windjammer, since it is plentiful and cheap. I've never tried Canoe, so I have no idea how Windjammer would smell.
    Also thinking of trying Blend 7.

DaltonGang, Paul Turner and gorgo2 like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tried Oland yet? It's the Lilac Vegetal of Avon frafs.

Angelo85 likes this.
  17. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Lilac Vegetal is the only AS that I bought, tried, washed off, and threw the bottle out all on the same day! I poured it out in my yard, and the grass turned brown almost immediately. It also kept wild animals off my propery for several days. The town vampire skipped his nightly visits for a few nights, too.

Oland smells bad, I've heard, since it doesn't age nearly as well as the other scents in the Avon range. In other words, it smells rancid when bought today.

DaltonGang and gorgo2 like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Oland needs to be tested bottle by bottle. Some component in it (no idea what) can go off, ruining the whole thing. But it doesn't always. When it's good, it's a smoky imitation of Aramis. That itself makes it perhaps more dated than any other Avon but if a guy can comfortably pull it off, it's worth having.

Angelo85 and Enrico like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have a few nice bottles ............ heat and sun can ruin it.

DaltonGang and gorgo2 like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood