"Schick Show"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Oct 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is one you don't see everyday. It is a Schick 500 razor with an L style handle. Far as I know this razor was never produced in the US and should have been made sometime between 1967 - 1975. The one I own pictured here was made in Holland.
    L9a.jpg L9b.jpg L9d.jpg L9e.jpg

The US made Schick that is similar at least in style if not shave would be a Lady Eversharp K4.
    L9K4.jpg

Jayaruh, Jim99, preidy and 3 others like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Picture of the underside of the case.
    L9c1.jpg

brit likes this.
  3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Schick 1935-45 Type E Canadian Set / 31.8 Grams
    IMG_5949.JPG

Jayaruh, Jim99, brit and 1 other person like this.
  4. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

1946 Schick Injector early G-1 model with "high profile rivet" and "Schick Injector" markings
    IMG_5957zzz.jpg IMG_5965zz.jpg

Jayaruh, Jim99, brit and 1 other person like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is one I call an L0 since I know for sure it predates the L1 Schick injector by a few months in 1967. Though the Eversharp only branding didn't last, these razors look to have been sold from Jan. - Mar. of 67, the handle style did since it continues on as the L1 Schick injector which shows up later in the same year.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    ad from the Northwest Arkansas Times Feb. 27th 1967
    [​IMG]

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Tat is interesting! I never knew the L was ever branded by anything but Schick. I wonder how many were produced? Presumably there were no engineering changes except for the die stamping out the branding of the razor.

brit and BBS like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Don't know but assume not many since you almost never see this injector come up for sale. At the time it was going up against a I1v2 with the black handle, J2 black handle and the Schick '500'. I doubt many sold because of that unlike the grey handle Eversharp DE razor which was only going against the black handled Schick DE razor at the time.

Second question don't know until I use the razor but I will post on that once I do.

Jim99 and brit like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Schick is a great shaving system and it’s a shame that they’re not in production today. They give really great shaves and are as easy to use as cartridges.

brit and Ron R like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

At some point they'll come back into mainstream shaving production when one major player figures out how to market them as a low cost cart alternative.

Jim99 and brit like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

My son, a millennial, recently tried a Schick L and loved it. His comments were it shaved like a cartridge, but better! He also liked the price of blades. My son really liked it to the point where I haven’t gotten it back yet.

I do hope some company resurrects the injector. It’s a winner!

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The verdict is in, the L0 as I term it is exactly the same shave wise as the L1 made between 1967 and 1972. If someone was to seek one of these out I would say do so from a collectors standpoint and not from a regular use shaver standpoint.

brit and Jim99 like this.
  12. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I believe that was one of the goals of the Supply Co.

I like the ability to take it apart to clean.

They are marketing a new blade (Nov 2019) made to their specs too

brit and Jim99 like this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not at the price points they sell razors at. You need either a lower cost option than cartridges that you can impress on people just how much they are getting ripped off for what they pay or one the same that performs better. Both are achievable if someone wants to redevelop the market. Problem is that involves risk and a lot of money spent on marketing to convince people to switch. Building the actual razor is the easy and cheapest part especially if you cut out the middle men and do it yourself. That in and of itself is also another barrier for most people because of the risk involved in purchasing equipment and learning how to use it.

Edison Carter, Jim99 and brit like this.
  14. JayBee

JayBee New Member

I would buy one!

brit likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Which one?

brit likes this.
  16. JayBee

JayBee New Member

The low cost option - assuming it shaves as well as a good vintage Schick.

brit likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If you want to buy one new the Type L clone fits the bill at $15 or $17 with shipping from these vendors. These are buy it now and not auctions. I know the $17 one comes with a blade loaded the $15 one might not.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shave-Clas...956942&hash=item3fc6c1882d:g:jTgAAOSwX9BdH5fO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Off-Brand-...575749&hash=item4198c47932:g:6PAAAMXQgb1RQKWK

Problem with these is the spring doesn't open correctly when you put the injector key all the way in. They are also pretty aggressive razors for injectors nothing like an actual Schick Type L.

If you have to have a modern injector and don't want to pay upwards of $75 or more on a Supply razor then this is your only choice on the market right now.

Here is the problem with the Supply razor from a customer standpoint. They do give you 3 plates for $75 so if you broke down the split it would be like $25 a piece for 3 razors but they require you to buy all 3 plates up front. Later if you find out 2 of plates don't work for you it is not like you can return them and get the cost back down to $25 - $35 (if you factor in the handle costs more) for the razor which I think is at a tolerable price point for most wet shavers. Also the fact they don't offer the razor with a single plate anymore and sell the other plates individually is a big minus from a customer standpoint. They basically have forced you into buying the whole product line whether you want to or not.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Edison Carter, brit and Jim99 like this.
  18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I bought one of those Schick L clones and the blade would never sit right. It tore up my face a few times before I tossed it. From what I gather, the L clones are hit or miss on quality. I was really wanting to like it.

19. JayBee

JayBee New Member

Thanks for all the info. I will be on the lookout for a clean vintage type L.

brit likes this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I have one and found it is too finicky and hit or miss on the shaves depending the blade used. The Chinese Schick blades were good but the less sharp blades like the Personna blades performed horribly in the razor. I also had a few rough shaves with it. That razor won't endear most anyone to wanting to shave with injectors and neither will the Supply V2 at the price points it is sold at. When you get past about $40 for a razor the amount of people willing to buy just to try a razor drops to almost nil. I've sold a lot of vintage stuff and same tolerance for buying an unknown just to try is from the 0 - $20 range then $20 to $30 they get more selective and $30 to $40 even less so depending the reputation of the razor and once you hit $40 - $50 range that is about the threshold for luxury low end pricing on razors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.