Remove and sink a knot?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rib, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

Question here for the group about two brushes that I own and want to alter.

The first is an Art of Shaving brush I purchased something like 6 or 7 years ago. Was my first brush and is a pure badger. The loft is high, its floppy and just not the greatest quality; how would I go about removing the existing knot and then putting in a synthetic or some other that I purchase?

The second question may be more difficult but hoping there is some wisdom here to make it possible. I have a whipped dog silvertip brush that I love but after having multiple brushes afterwards and using this one still in the rotation I've come to realize that I really would get more out of this and love it even more if I could sink it say 10mm or so as its become a little floppy for my liking. The brush is awesome and was created exactly as I requested. Is it possible to safely remove the knot without damaging it or the brush, drill the handle a little deeper and resink the knot?

Thanks for the input everyone!!

Douglas Carey, RyX and kjbarth like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

In both cases, it would help to know what the handles are made of. Posting pics could also be useful.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

Good point! I'll see if I can post pictures later this evening. Both however are resin handles. I'll attach a link that shows a stock photo of pretty much the exact brushes though.

The art of shaving brush I'd be interesting in removing the existing knot and possibly drilling a little deeper and putting in a new knot. the other I'd really just like to decrease the loft on it.

[​IMG]

https://www.whippeddog.com/product-page/luna
    [​IMG]

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    In my experience, you can save the knot or the handle, but not both. It is much easier to save the handle than the knot.

To save the handle, cut away as much of the knot as you can, then use a dremel to bore out the remains from the handle.

To save the knot, carefully dremel (sanding drum) along the side until the knot is exposed. Work your way down until the plug is exposed. Switch to cutting disks and start cutting the handle away from the base of the plug until the knot can be pulled out. You will lose an outer ring of hairs... not a big deal.

oscar11, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

There you go. My thought exaclty. Save one or the other. Ive never pulled a knot from a handle without destroying a knot. Unless it was not glued well to begin with.

6. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I’ve toyed with the idea of doing something similar with one of my brushes. I haven’t done it yet. My plan is to secure the knot at its base with a cable tie. Then I’d take a chisel and try to split the handle.

7. Lipripper60

Lipripper60 Member

Hold up gents. I have no experience with the Art of Shaving handles but do have with the Whipped Dog. Steam. Put your brush/brushes into a double boiler so they are only in the steam and not the boiling water. Make sure there is a lid to contain the steam. I like to start with cold water and let the brush and water come to temp together. CRITICAL not to over heat or handles and/or knots can be damaged. (Shoot there may be catastrophic failure anyway). Let the steam work for a few minutes then take the brush out wearing leather gloves or oven mitts or some sort of protection. Handle in one hand and knot in the other give a pull/twist but not a he-man twist, just firm. If the knot stays stuck put it back in the boiler and try a minute later. Keep reheating until the glue softens and gives up. Both handle and knot are reusable. That said, if I don't care for the knot, I'll cut it off low and drill out the stump. ( lower risk to handle.). Keep in mind that this is a risk/reward method and there is a chance you lose.

8. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Steaming doesn't work with some older brushes, like Ever-Readys. The handle deforms instead.
    Trying to save both the handle and the knot is next to impossible. Why (k)not try slipping an O-ring or two around the base of the knot? Just snug enough to constrain the bloom a little.

jaro, Paul76 and Jim99 like this.
  9. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I'm going to throw something out here that is probably a dumb, rookie idea so, if it is, just say so!

If the idea is to make it "less floppy" could a person take a plastic/vinyl wire tie or two, wrap it around the knot as low as you can, or want to, and pull it "tight". In my mind, it would make it "less" floppy and would be decidedly inexpensive and low tech.

Okay, on a scale of 1-10 how stupid is that?

:signs002:

PLANofMAN and Jim99 like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've never had any luck saving both the handle and knot, unless the glue was dried out, old brush, or silicone was used to glue the knot, modern brush. That being said, I agree with @PLANofMAN to the ways I work on brushes. It's either one or the other, rarely both.

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Seems like these methods would be an easy solution.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  12. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I've done it with plastic ties and Also rubber bands.
    It helps a little bit..

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

S Barnhardt likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Not very. Many members have experimented with those. I think the best results came from the little clear hair bands or dental bands.

S Barnhardt and jimjo1031 like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Maybe even thin fishing line.

S Barnhardt and PLANofMAN like this.
  15. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

To save the knot I tend to go the other way, I use a drill press with a regular bit/ forstner bit to drill through the handle to the knot, once I reach it can be pressed out

Terry and PLANofMAN like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That does sound much easier, quicker, and safer. I suppose it helps if you own or have access to a drill and bearing press.

Terry likes this.
  17. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

no need for a bearing press a dowel and a good rap with a hammer did the trick,

Terry and PLANofMAN like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Shh. I need a bearing press. You are not helping my case.

On the other hand, my wife likes you. :p

19. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

You do need a drill press its one of the few tools every shop should have.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    A shop? Yes... I need this thing.

Edit: My wife insists on calling it a garage and says you keep cars in it. Have you ever heard such ridiculous nonsense?