Vintage Old Spice Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by rmcintyre84, Oct 8, 2019.

1. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Isn't it!

I look at my puck of Cade sat in its fancy bowl, both of which are not fit for purpose and both costing a relative fortune. (I got mine as part of a set so cheap enough) and then i look at my cheap bowl of Arko and the performance and price delta isn't even funny lol.

I would love a puck of colgate but across the water, they just don't come up for sale.

brit likes this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have several cakes of Colgate. If you can wait a week or so I will throw one your way. Where across the pond are you?

brit and BlueShaver like this.
  3. BlueShaver

Europe.

Great offer, thanks!
    I am in no rush tbh. Patience is a virtue us wet shavers must learn :)

I have a few things i have been meaning to PIF/Trade. Perhaps i can send you something in return :)

brit likes this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I never turn down a trade. I will get a PM out to you soon!.

I get busy if I drop the ball please message me as a reminder!

BlueShaver and brit like this.
  5. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I rinsed it. (The thought of someone else using it, even 50 years ago, creeped me out. And yes, I know hot tap water won't kill anything that managed to live half a century.) I did two test lathers: one on my arm, and one on my face. I'm quite happy. There is a scent, but so slight it won't interfere with anything else I wear. I plan on using it tomorrow. IMG_20191014_110257984-600x800.jpg

6. Mike Raley

Mike Raley New Member

that's a beautiful boxed set

myles wilson, BlueShaver and brit like this.
  7. BlueShaver

Isn't it! Thanks.

I think they (soap makers) had a bit more pride and care in their products in the 50's/60's.

I have a Yardley set from the same era which is just as nice and no tacky plastic to be seen :)

brit and Angelo85 like this.
  8. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

SOTD
    Neutrogena FW
    VOS
    Razorock Plissoft
    Gillette 5
    Three passes, touch up
    Alum
    Thayer's Witch Hazel
    Tabac Post Shave Balm
    Tabac AS (A nice scent for a fall foliage tour and antiquing)

Very nice lather and shave. I'm glad I bought it. Thanks for all your suggestions.

BigD, myles wilson, brit and 2 others like this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Glade you enjoyed your shave.

myles wilson and brit like this.
  10. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

you know i'm kind of late to this but I thought I would share my experience. I just recently acquired my first vintage os shave soap and mug from anywhere between the late 60s- mid 70s. It did not come with the original box but did have the original lid. Everything was unused. I noticed the soap was a bit dry and had a few cracks in the soap. No big deal though, I bloomed it with Hot water on my first use and only use so far. to my surprise it lathered up incredibly well and I had a great shave. IMO I would highly recommend this soap. It leaves a great lasting scent, long lasting slickness even after shaving and softens your skin. What more can you ask for? I have been wet shaving for about a year now and recently have gotten into these vintage old spice items. I also got a great deal on a vintage old spice gift set no 381 that has the original box and full bottle of after shave and shave talc. I have narrowed it down and this set is from the mid 50s. Only paid 30 bucks!

11. Tallships

Your so very right, Old Spice had a great scent and a fantastic lather, it was a popular soap. Old Spice was my favorite soap for many years, till they stopped making it. Last year I acquired a mug set with soap and hesitated for a few months to use the soap but I broke down and I'm still using it. As I remember it still performs like it did and lasts a long time but the scent is not a strong on this old puck. Back in the 60's OS cost 25 cents.

MacDaDad, myles wilson and Angelo85 like this.
  12. myles wilson

those were some good times for sure.

Jim99 likes this.
  13. myles wilson

The mug was pretty dust and dirty but it cleaned up pretty well. Appears to be the no. 5 mug

Attached Files:

S Barnhardt and Jim99 like this.
  14. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

With the advent of clear polystyrene, the 1950’s OS had the clear top. Very fragile and many did not survive. Still the red tape

As for a lathering, one of the easiest with all types a water to whip up a good lather

135E14A2-AA6C-4A8B-8797-4CF013465742.jpeg B3B883E2-C4AF-4266-B527-F20E4A422D35.jpeg

Primotenore, brit, Tallships and 2 others like this.
  15. myles wilson

oh nice!

16. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

17. myles wilson

just found a vintage os shave soap and mug from 1974 for only $8.00 on ebay!

18. Tallships

Great Find

myles wilson likes this.
  19. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

The mugs I scored a few months ago got some new friends today. A sealed refill and a soap on a rope. This will keep me in lather into the new year.
    BB518775-CDB7-41F1-AB79-2AF9369F463D.jpeg 078D8F4A-9B65-481D-8A26-995FF95031E2.jpeg BB518775-CDB7-41F1-AB79-2AF9369F463D.jpeg 078D8F4A-9B65-481D-8A26-995FF95031E2.jpeg

20. brit

brit in a box

Timwcic likes this.