Brushmakers Thread - Calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nice stuff fellas!

RyX, kjbarth, 9nein9 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the input.....I'm going to start looking around for some classes and may come back to get opinions on Lathes and tools before I purchase anything.

RyX, jtspartan, kjbarth and 2 others like this.
  3. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

My mother and Mother in law both wanted makeup brushes for Christmas. I couldn't find makeup brush knots on there own so I had my wife pick up two store bought brushes and I made handles for them. I probably could have used small shave brush knots but I think most makeup brush knots are much softer than shave knots. At least the few I have actually picked up. Anyway i think they turned out pretty good. The one on top is Tru-stone turquoise and the other is lava explosion 75 Boudoir blue Alumilite from exotic blanks.

[​IMG]

Dave in KY, ischiapp, 9nein9 and 9 others like this.
  4. GAW9576

I just finished this brush for a friend. I cast the blank with black linen, aluminum shavings and polyester resin. I had a CA finish on it but it just blended all the "grain" of the linen in and it looked to plain. I decided to sand it back to the raw material which has less shine but much more character. The knot is a Maggard's 28mm SHD bulb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave in KY, ischiapp, 9nein9 and 9 others like this.
  5. DS Thomson

DS Thomson Member

That is neat looking. Nice.. I am surprised the CA distorted the grain.

Hembree and GAW9576 like this.
  6. GAW9576

Thank you. It didn't destroy it so much as just blend it in enough that it was very hard to distinguish the folds in the linen material from the clear spots of resin. It's very interesting to look at in person either way.
    And now i can look at this one in person all I want. My friend liked it but I could tell it wasn't exactly what he wanted. So I'm making another one with a few changes to be more what he was hoping for. I was going to make a second one for myself anyways so they are just getting switch. He really likes the glassy finish of the CA. And wants a slightly higher loft.

9nein9, Hembree and Tanuki like this.
  7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

That is excellent work! Very original.

Hembree and GAW9576 like this.
  8. GAW9576

Thank you. Hopefully my friend is happy with the next one. I sure am happy with this one. But i can appreciate the supper high gloss of a good CA finish too.

9. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

My lathe is stored for the winter, but I had a handle I turned from a small scrap. I just wanted to see how my black walnut blanks would behave under the chisel. As is often the case, I liked the grain and the curves, so decided to drill it and set a small knot.

That didn’t go well, but I didn’t toss it into the fireplace. During the rare holiday quiet moments I hand sanded out the damage, finished the drilling, and gave it a walnut oil finish. The damage control softened all the transitions. Now it is less a ‘chisel handle’ profile and more in the traditional style of shaving brush handles.

Handle is about 48mm tall. Lofted to a scrubby 45mm with a little ‘18mm’ boar knot. Small base and a big glue bump on that knot - it is just over 21mm where it enters the handle. It is set so deep, I didn’t even glue it. Fatip Piccolo for scale.
    913D815D-AF68-478D-A30A-529A21461567.jpeg

Dave in KY, 9nein9, kjbarth and 5 others like this.
  10. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

display2.jpg
    As I mentioned a while ago, my son makes brushes for craft fairs. This was a part of his display at his School's winter craft fair, just before Christmas. He had about 80 shaving brushes ready for this show.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  11. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Hembree likes this.
  12. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Wow!

Hembree likes this.
  13. jtspartan

Some very unique designs there!

Hembree and brit like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very nice!

The two styles that catch my attention are reminiscent or a vintage Stag and Rubberset (top row, second from the right) and (second row, fourth from the right).

:eatdrink013:

Hembree and brit like this.
  15. jtspartan

A friend on here asked me to make a Green resin handle for him. I poured some small amounts to play with transparency, colour, etc. I made them combined with some different types of handles. I’ll start his Omega 10098 clone soon, as long as he likes this resin. It is a metallic look, but I’m pleased with it. The small one was done on purpose as a travel brush as I got a small Omega knot a few years ago from @BaylorGator. The middle is the most ‘translucent’ of the 3 and the large one I decided to keep and put an APShaveCo Badger/Boar mix in it. Did one test lather with the two to make sure they stayed put. All worked out fine:
    AA4646E7-1B37-4735-BF83-3FDD8B4C3AB9.jpeg
    The two on the left are in Maple, the large one is Sapele.

Also made a lather bowl. Poculi and Walnut. The buttons are for lather making. It is kind of my thing in these. I showed the Walnut base as it was rounded to to be easy to grab to hold onto, as that is the way I designed it to be used:
    0F3111AD-ABB9-4A17-94FF-E24F655841AE.jpeg
    1F82CFA3-228B-41CA-B3D8-81BB9172E88B.jpeg
    Not the best pics, but you get the general idea...:)

16. brit

brit in a box

awesome Jason..fantastic job..

Hembree and jtspartan like this.
  17. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

First off, I'm not a turner. I've often thought I'd like to give it a whirl, but I"m limited by room for a lathe and finances for a good start. But that's not my reason for posting today.

I'm going to be cutting back to a stump 4-5 ft high a Yoshino Cherry tree that has died out, in my wife's flower garden. A Yoshino is the species there are a lot of in Washington, DC. I'm pretty sure it was grafted onto some type of root stock? It came from a large commercial landscape yard. "Would the limbs, etc. that I"m going to be cutting off work for turning brush handles? And not being a turner, I have no way of knowing, but thought I'd ask before I just cut it into pieces and put it to the curb for the town chipper to dispose of. Let me know folks. Do I have something someone might be interested in, or is this type of thing not suited for this?

Wikipedia page for Yoshino Cherry trees.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Hembree likes this.
  18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Nice work Jason!

jtspartan and brit like this.
  19. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Awesome work Jason!

- Ken

brit, S Barnhardt and jtspartan like this.
  20. GAW9576

Since the last brush I made him wasn't quite what he was hoping for I made another brush for my friend. Luckily he had bought one of the knots for me and one for him so I kept the first one.
    This brush like the first is made from black Linen material soaked in polyester resin sprinkled with aluminum shavings then crammed into a plastic spice jar to make the blank. There were some voids in the blank because I don't have a pressure chamber. Once I got the blank turned to rough shape I filled the voids with more aluminum shavings and CA glue then finished turning and sanding. Then quite a few layers of CA finish went on. And lots of sanding and polishing. I'm pretty confident this brush is what he was hoping for. I look forward to giving it to him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]