Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Good morning this MMMonday Dec 23-19, Merry Christmas to all and the best in the New year that is so close.
    I have been wanting to use my Star Bar that is Part of the A.S.R family but I have been testing another razor lately(Oneblade core) and have to say its a good razor for a daily driver. I will use this more when my skin is irritated because it does not bother my skin with the great Gem Personna SS PTFE modified blade. I had some surgery months back and my whole body is readjusting it seems and that includes my facial skin.

Razor : ( Kampfe brothers) Star bar model # 4 - MFG 1919
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (2)
    Soap : Razorock Irish Country side
    Brush : Yaqi rainbow brown whiskers 26 mm
    Preshave : Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch Hazel + Nivea balm for winter cold months.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + some irritation + 1 blemish weeper from previous shave= [​IMG]

MMMonday Dec 23-2019 (2).jpg

Once in a while I will leave some owners instructions on the ASR family of razors for folks who bought used and other information.
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg E-R1924Instructions and Case (4).JPG blade_angle-se-de.gif Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Juno, jimjo1031, Chuck Naill and 2 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

Ron R likes this.
  3. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Thank you. They were fun to make even though the antler smelled bad when I was working with it.

4. GAW9576

I always love seeing the Star Bar. I absolutely love my Gem Jr. Bars and it's interesting seeing there close cousin. The star instead of the G and the handle are the only differences i can see but I believe you posted a picture of the two side by side and there are other differences noticeable when compared more closely.

5. GAW9576

It's going to be a late shave for me today but i will be using my Star razor with a baton handle which would be the close cousin to the Gem Jr. Baton. I'll post after my shave but i wanted to check in and see what everyone is shaving with so far.

6. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

I'm a bit late posting, but here is my GEMonday shave -- a really nice 2-pass plus quick clean-up DFS! The razor was a Star (1912) with baton handle using a GEM SS PTFE on it's 13th shave. Soap was RR Acqua lathered with a Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo knot (Sagrada Familia handle).
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031, Chuck Naill and GAW9576 like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

They look similar and there is still slight differences. I find the Star bar gives a little better shave IMO but I enjoy both razors very much.
    Star bar LC VS GEM Junior bar (5).jpg
    LC Compare 2 (2).jpg LC Compare 1 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

8. GAW9576

Just a little cleanup shave tonight with the Star version of the Gem Jr. Parade and a 3rd flip Gem SS blade. This is a great little razor. Tabac on a high loft RazoRock boar for lather. And a splash of witch hazel and some proraso white cream finished things off.

[​IMG]

9. GAW9576

Thanks for posting those side by sides. They are both beautiful razors and i love the look of the handles on both of them.

10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas on SOTD, [​IMG]

Razor : Gem Junior bar- MFG 1907
    Blade : Gem SS PTFE (3)
    Soap : Razorock " The Dead Sea"
    Brush : Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers 26 mm.
    Preshave : Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Postshave: Razorock "The dead sea aftershave with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]
    Christmas 3 -2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

11. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

1950's "Heavy Flat Top aka G Bar"
    G Bar.jpg

jimjo1031, GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  12. GAW9576

In case I didn't mention it before it's always Monday on this thread
    I had a fantastic shave today. Started things off with the Ever-ready 1914 aka little lather catcher. Then did a little cleanup and the back of the neck with 1900 Star lather catcher. The razors shared a 4th use Gem SS. Mer Shavings mysore sandalwood on my new brush with a 28mm SHD Maggard knot for lather. WOW first impressions of this knot are very good. And of course I love Mer Shaving soaps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    jimjo1031, brit, Bizoo and 2 others like this.
  13. Chuck Naill

I love it.

GAW9576 likes this.
  14. Bizoo

Bizoo Well-Known Member

Good to know. Here is my contribution...
    First time using this Ever Ready Pat’d 1912 in my head an one of the best BBS I ever had. Glad to have tried.
    [​IMG]

15. GAW9576

Glad you enjoyed the shave. I have the Gem and the Star version of that razor and really enjoy both. As well as many other razors in the American Safety Razor family.

Bizoo and jimjo1031 like this.
  16. Chuck Naill

Happy MM all. I used the first generation bumpless MMOC today and a well used PTFE blade that just keeps on giving....
    0D7B7D59-409A-4500-ADF5-67140CD10803.jpeg

jimjo1031, Terry, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.
  17. GAW9576

It'll be a late shave for me today gentlemen. I hope everyone enjoys their Micromatic Monday. I will post after the shave but I am planning a G-bar shave since I was recently given a very nice G-bar to replace the one I have that someone modified.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday for me today, had a excellent shave yesterday and not as much stubble to chop this morning but my Gem Feather would have none of that. Great shave with a great razor & blade is all I can ask.

Razor : Gem Feather weight (1oz)- MFG 1950-53
    Blade : Gem Personna Accutec SS PTFE (4)
    Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Flore "Firenze"- Excellent soap in all properties of lather strength IMO.
    Brush : Yaqi Timber wolf 24mm
    Preshave : Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave :Avon True Gent with witch Hazel 1:4 + Avon True gent balm.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 1 blemish weeper = [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

jimjo1031, Bizoo and GAW9576 like this.
  19. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

An absolutely brilliant GEMonday shave with a quite nice British Ever-Ready 1912. It wasn’t “cheap as chips” to get, but it didn’t “cost a bomb” either.
    I'm a huge fan of both British-made razors and British idioms. Cheers!

[​IMG]

jimjo1031, Bizoo and GAW9576 like this.
  20. Chuck Naill

Looks like a proper setup there, mate.

Flintstone65 likes this.