Question About Shaving Against The Grain

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by adala37, Dec 25, 2019.

1. adala37

adala37 New Member

Hi all,

I was have a 2 months old beard.

2 days ago i went to a barber and tell him to cut my beard with razor. He shaved my cheeks and mustache WTG with the razor but when he started shaved my neck i feeled pulling. I asked to him why he replied ı cant see the grain properly i think ı shaved ATG thats why. After shave i feeled burning on my face. Its still hurts now sometimes but better than first day.

I made some research on internet and i read some people and sites saying shaving ATG can damage hair follicles and when i saw that im in a miserable situation like 2 days because i have an anxiety problem. My question is will my beard will ok? Will it grow thinner or something? Will it damage my beard follicles things like that going on my head and im really not feeling good yesterday i taked an anxiety pills after 5 years because my anxiety went that bad after this. Can anyone please help me im begging.. I just want to learn what will happen if he shaved my 2 months old beard ATG. Not sure he really shaved ATG or he just put much pressure when shaving neither. In all cases would this cause something bad to my beard? All my concern is that..

My neck edges looked strange to me not sure it was like that before or barber shaved againts grain cause this some parts looking BBS. If its because ATG will it grow back exactly same? Not thinner or something like wont grow?

Im sorry for my English. Thank you all.

I can provide photos if needed

2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Our beards can grow in many directions so that when we shave it is best if we learn which way to move the razor. My neck hair grows up near the base of my neck and downward toward my jaw line. Knowing this allows me to be more effective.

Having a full grown beard usually made my face more sensitive when first shaved off which later moderated over time.

If you let your beard grow again, notice which way the beard is growing and perhaps make notes of your observations. This will allow you to shave with the grain when you are clean faced and can no longer see growth direction.

I cannot imagine you can hurt or harm your beard. We are more durable than that. Just consider the things humans have done over time to their hair and it still grows.

adala37 likes this.
  3. adala37

adala37 New Member

Thank you for respond sir.

Chuck Naill likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Not a chance of damaging your hair follicles. They are there to stay, and the directions they grow do not change. I would question your barbers shaving techniques, and or equipment, if there was a lot of discomfort and pain. If I were you, I would learn to use a Double Edge Razor, with good shave soap, and a good moisturizing aftershave. At 22 years old, you should learn to properly shave, so you wont have issues, the rest of your life.

Spyder, wristwatchb and adala37 like this.
  5. DaltonGang

adala37 likes this.
  6. adala37

adala37 New Member

7. DaltonGang

No sorries needed about anything. The Welcome Center would just help introduce yourself to more members. Enjoy your shaves.

adala37 likes this.
  8. adala37

adala37 New Member

Btw i forget to add sir, there was a little bleeding after shave. All that stuff ı read on internet really scared me out. I just feared my beard wont be like before..

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

First of all, welcome to The Shave Den! This is a great place to learn about all kinds of shaving, and it is a wonderful community. My name is Charlie, and I live in the state of Kentucky in the USA.

Many of us are celebrating the Christmas holiday today. If you celebrate Christ's Birth, I'd like to wish you a Merry Christmas!

Secondly, ATG shaving may cause irritation, but it is only temporary. Your beard should be fine. As @DaltonGang says, it probably resulted from the barber's poor technique.

Please join us on the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread. It is a very supportive group where many new shavers have learned to shave well in 30 Days. It's also a nice place to ask questions, help others, hang out and have fun. Many folks shave with a double edge razor, a shaving brush, and either of a puck of shaving soap or shaving cream. If you're currently shaving with different equipment, you're welcome to start with what you have. If you continue to wear a beard, your improved shaving technique will also allow you to line up the edges well.

I hope you are finding some relief from your anxiety. You may find, as I did, that learning how to wet shave properly and then enjoying your morning shaves will provide you with some relief.

adala37 likes this.
  10. adala37

adala37 New Member

Nice to meet you Charlie!

Thank you about all of your good words!

I feel better thanks to you guys, i really appreciate that.

Im not celebrating because im a Muslim, but i wish good things on the world for you fellas.

You guys really helped me about my situation. Really that means a lot to me. Thank you again!

11. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Well said brother man.

adala37 likes this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm glad you decided to join our community!

adala37 likes this.
  13. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Hi Charlie,
    I am sorry to see you have anxieties about shaving. So let's see if we can help you get past them. As other members have recommended, look at the 30 day rule discussion. It can teach you a lot.
    To address your immediate concerns,Shaving will not change you beard. You have what you have, and it is what will be with you the rest of your life, changing very slowly as you get older, for example, if you have a glorious red beard at 22, it will probably be very when you turn 62.
    If your face felt tender and sore, you need to read about what causes that in this forum. It could be because the barber did not have a sharp enough blade, or applied to much pressure to your skin. If this was your first shave in many days, then your skin was reacting to that. Your first shave removing a beard is rarely a too one.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  14. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shave Den Adala. I'm not much help to you, I've always shaved ATG. But a well hydrated beard and a good lather is nearly a must and a well chosen razor and blade. I am sure that all of us here at Shave Den will be happy to help.

15. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

Don't do it!!

Completely unnecessary! (At least for me!)