The Slant Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Terry, Jul 22, 2018.

?

I use a slant razor because

1. OK OK I USE A SLANT!! there I said it...

59.5%
  2. What was the question again?

4.8%
  3. It just looks so cool

16.7%
  4. It was love at first sight

7.1%
  5. to spite my nose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ARE we there yet??

11.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Sunday 12.01.19 SOTD

DSCF0002 - Edited.jpg
    RazoRock Pre Barba Pre Shave Gel
    RazoRock German 37 Slant Bar.HD Handle
    Astra Superior Platinum (3)
    Vintage Kingsley (Austria) Pure Badger
    Fine Fresh Vetiver in a vintage mug
    Fine Fresh Vetiver aftershave

DSCF0005 - Edited.jpg

chard52142, Terry, BigD and 2 others like this.
  2. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Merkur 37C cleaned up perfectly for me yesterday, after a poor first pass from my least favorite DE, the Muhle R41. I rate the 37C ahead of the R41 in all the known knowns and would put my money on the 37C as superior in all known unknowns and unknown unknowns.

I will finish the blade I just loaded in the R41 - stubborn I guess.

332A06FA-919A-49BE-82C8-A540D231CA8F.jpeg
    Sometimes shaving is simple - just black or white.

chard52142, Terry, BigD and 2 others like this.
  3. James Kleinkauf

Wednesday 12.04.19 SOTD

DSCF0008 - Edited.jpg
    Pre' De Provence Artisanal French Soap lather and rinse
    Maggard Slant Bar chrome.iKon OSS Handle
    Gillette Nacet Stainless (5
    Maggard 22mm Aluminum Handle 2-Band Badger
    Pre de Provence shave soa
    Pre de Provence Sante Green Tea

DSCF0010 - Edited.jpg

Terry, BigD, Tanuki and 2 others like this.
  4. Jpumroy

Jpumroy Member

I recently picked up a PAA Alpha Ecliptic Slant razor. I just thought it looked cool and everything I read was overwhelmingly favorable. I have been using a bevel DE razor with merkur platinum blades which works great for me, but I wanted to try something new and mild. I have tried feather blades in my bevel and the cut like butter, but I always come away with several nicks and bleeders so it is a bit too sharp. I tried the ecliptic slant Monday and it sure does shave easy with the merkur blades. Unfortunately it also gave me the worst razor burn I have had in some time. I think this is mainly due to how light it is, the odd shape and it being more aggressive than I expected. I plan to try it with Derby extras next.

Terry and BigD like this.
  5. Jpumroy

Jpumroy Member

Word to the wise. When using the PAA Alpha Ecliptic slant make damn sure you have it put together the right way. Bakelite is apparently very brittle. I only shaved 3 times before this happened. I was tightening the top down and thought I heard a faint creaking noise, but figured it was the blade adjusting or something. I couldn't figure out why it didn't seem to be removing the soap form my face like usual. Gotta see if I can get a head piece to replace it. The handle is fine far as I can tell.

Terry, BigD and cliffb599 like this.
  6. James Kleinkauf

Saturday 12.07.19 SOTD

DSCF0032 - Edited.jpg
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Pre-Shave Herbal Gel
    Astra Superior Platinum (1)
    Mr. PB24BA-04 Pure Badger
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Peppermint Shaving Cream
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Aftershave Balm

DSCF0037 - Edited.jpg

chard52142, Terry, BigD and 1 other person like this.
  7. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Some Razorock German 37 love. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

chard52142, Terry and cliffb599 like this.
  8. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

It’s Hiding

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Terry and BigD like this.
  9. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

It's scared of the light. It's behind the bowls next to the bottle of green stuff.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Terry likes this.
  10. James Kleinkauf

Saturday 12.14.19 SOTD

DSCF0013 - Edited.jpg
    RazoRock Pre Barba Pre Shave Gel
    Astra Superior Platinum (4)
    RazoRock 24mm Barrel Silvertip Badger
    RazoRock Mudder Focker Shave Soap
    RazoRock Mudder Focker After Shaving Splash

DSCF0016 - Edited.jpg

chard52142, Terry, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  11. James Kleinkauf

Thursday 12.19.19 SOTD

DSCF0003 - Edited.jpg
    Shugar Soapworks oatmeal & Verbena Soap lather and rinse
    Astra Superior Platinum (5)
    Simpsons Commodore X3 Best Badger
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Aftershave

DSCF0007 - Edited (1).jpg

chard52142, Terry and BigD like this.
  12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Look at your razor carefully, sometimes the blade scrapes the inside of the alignment posts. The posts could need slight cleaning. I noticed that some blades have a bent center after I use them in that razor. Also that razor puts the most twist on a blade of any razor I own. Being an asymmetric tool, it can permanently bend a blade. Nice twist!
    I always use a feathe blade in mine, in fact, I'm a one and done on blades. I alwas use a new blade, then bin it.
    Know that a slant will make a blade preform better than a linear razor.
    Keep a light touch, ride the cap, really ride the cap! This should help.
    I shave my face and head, daily.
    That's a great razor of you get the hang of it.
    Might try a 30 day rule to get it to love you like it should.
    Good luck!
    tp

BigD likes this.
  13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

A new package in the mail yesterday, no time to open it till today. My two Yaqi razor heads arived, in time for todays shave.
    Took out the slant one, promptly installed a new Feather blade then tightened the RR DE-1 handle to it. Using some Razorock Gold Label soap, washed with a light coating for the pre-shave, rinced, then lathered up for the job at hand.
    The soap starts with citrus note, then fades away quickly to a more woodsy scent. I'm not good at picking out items in the scent, not sure what it is, but its good. I noticed they aren't selling a matching AS, so maybe the confidence in this scent isn't there, or it's just sold out. Lather and slickness is top end, no issues there.
    The razor head matches well to the handle, good choice there. This razor makes no bones about showing off your blade of choice, has more blade showing than any other razor I own, bar none, it looks marvelously evil when loaded. The first swipe with this tool said to me, time to rumble. The razor doesn't just make noise, nor does it just talk a little, it carries on a full conversation, while you shave. The first pass was great, need to ride the cap on this like a mad man. The second pass sealed the deal, smooth and clean. The head shave was as good, all the while it's chattering away. My wife loves the results, a fine Christmas shave indeed.

[​IMG]
    No issues on the maiden shave for this bad boy. Everything else worked as expected.

Wondering what the other razor head shaves like in comparison to this one.

Everyone!
    Enjoy!
    tp

chard52142 and BigD like this.
  14. James Kleinkauf

The new slant sounds like a keeper

Terry likes this.
  15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks James!
    It's not for the faint of hart, especially with a Feather blade. But if you want a really good shave?
    Well......
    Merry Christmas!
    tp

16. James Kleinkauf

You too Terry.

Terry likes this.
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Went slant and spice today, blew up the bathroom with this scent.
    A new Feather blade in my Yaqi slant head with the RR DE-1 handle. This razor converses while you shave, it's verbal where you missed, funky. Anyway, this razor gives a great shave, smooth, clean.
    Most slants do shave me well, this one does it up right. Another shave good enough for a wedding, job interview or a date with your future wife. I did leak a small amount on the left side of the top of the gord. A small bump needed removed that appeared over night, this razor promptly removed it. Now if you didn't know, I'm on blood thinners, so a little nick or cut goes a long way. So far these types of leaks last only during the shave, so they're not of any consequence, but there it is.
    This was a 2 pass no clean-up shave.
    20191229_092202.jpg
    Put new old spice, in the old, old spice bottle, because I had it.
    The two Yaqi heads are not for the faint of heart, nor for those who like a super speed kinda shave.
    Now if you need a razor that's a cut above, these might be you cup of tea. I sure like them. The price sure is right.
    Checked to get another, found out they're out of stock :(.
    Everyone!
    Enjoy!

tp

James Kleinkauf, Ron R, BigD and 3 others like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

cool shave Terry..

Terry likes this.
  19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Good Monday morning all!
    A fine menthol Monday it is.
    Went slant again, just had to.
    Got out my PAA Alpha Ecliptic slant with a new Feather blade. This is the only 3 piece asymmetrical razor I have. At one point in my journey, I would consider this a rough rider, a real brush cutter. Now, after using some really efficient tools, I'd rate this a 7. A great hunk of bakelite no doubt, but nothing that will bring on the wow factor. Just need to ride the cap to get it to work, otherwise it doesn't do it for me.
    So 2 passes and a cleanup pass, both head and face to get where I like to be. No issues, I'm clean and smooth ready for the day.

20191230_095822.jpg

The weather is kinda warm here for winter, so this Stirling went well for it.

Everyone!

Enjoy!

tp

Ron R, BigD, Linuxguile and 1 other person like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

A 2 pass shave on the face with some clean up, 2 passes on the gord with minimal clean up. Nice, clean and smooth, better than average, no issues none. I used a thin coating of the Stirling to wash before lathering up. The Merkur 37 slant didn't let me down, Stirling Barbershop always good on the nose!

20200101_143717.jpg

The 37 is a great razor when handeld properly, ride the cap, get a great shave.
    A little heave for the head, but works great once you get a feel for it.

All
    Enjoy!
    tp

Tanuki, Ron R, BigD and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.