QRZ? (If you are a Ham, you'll understand) How many here are Amateur Radio Operators?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Radiotube, Dec 15, 2014.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

40 meters has been running long lately so it might work. You can also use the 40 meter antenna on 15.

Radiotube likes this.
  2. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I've never tried that. I have a Transworld 4040 antenna and my only HF rig is an ICOM IC-7200. No tuner. I might have to see what the SWR's look like on 15 meters at low power to see if my antenna will handle it.

3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I used to listen to shortwave quite often all through my high school years. It was very interesting, and simple radio sets served as my introduction to electronics. Ham radio seemed quite interesting, but for some reason I never really got into it. Ham radio was the big electronics hobby before the proliferation of digital electronics in the 1980s. That was especially true in Silicon Valley, back when it was still the Santa Clara Valley. Even David Packard, of Hewlett-Packard fame, spent time at Stanford University's amateur radio station. Four blocks away from the HP garage is the site of the lab where Lee De Forest perfected the triode.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  4. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

My Father was W1CUW, his last station was in Poland Springs, ME. I never caught the bug even though I maintained the shipboard radio gear for a couple of years while in the navy.

5. maliboy67

maliboy67 Well-Known Member

I haven't been on the air in quite a while, VE3AAZ here.

6. Unkei

Unkei New Member

Hi there n5pre,
    I just got my Ham Ticket last year. I am 67, and to be honest, I would never have studied for and gotten my License if I had not stumbled onto HamSphere, a really good simulation of the Amateur Bands, complete with Propagation effects. Where I live, I cannot have a tower or large antenna, so HamSphere lets me talk to friends I otherwise could not reach, with my little Yeasu FT-60R . It is not Real RF, but it is very realistic...HamSphere, I mean.
    73s,
    Dave
    KD8WKI

7. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I've been a ham since about '92.
    I'm N0RTU.
    Mostly a code op. Like 80, 40, and 30 meters.
    NA Fists #2305

8. Epicurean

Epicurean Active Member

I've been a ham for almost 18 years now. I used a Kenwood TS-830S to make contacts on 6 continents, but I haven't been active for 10 years. I'm still KT5Z.

9. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

KK4QBY here. I live in an apartment now and my local repeaters are slow and mostly unused so my radios sit in a box in the closet. Once I move I'll dig them out, upgrade my ticket to use HF and throw up a dipole. I can listen on most bands except 60m and 6m. My Grandpa was an active Ham in south Florida and I remember the chatter when I visited him. Same grandpa that started me wetshaving at 15.

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

My late Father was a Ham operator. His call sign was KE4TLS out of Camden, TN.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Robyflexx likes this.
  11. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I was wondering if anyone on TSD is/was a ham, so I searched thread titles not expecting to find anything. Lo and behold!

Looked you up on QRZ and see you live in the area I have a family member living. He's a retired Engineer last working for DOE at, I think, SRP down there.

Small world, huh??

Not active ham-wise right now, but working on rectifying that situation.

73s de EM95QN

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Been a while since I used the ballanced feeder, I like the top band and gonna get into the new LW allocations when I get room for equipment.
    80 and 40 should be long and quiet due to the low sunspots.
    When I get the AC ran to the rack, I'll power everthing up.

dit dit

tp

S Barnhardt likes this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Ham since 2004, but I haven't been on the air in a while.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Terry and S Barnhardt like this.
  14. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

Got my ticket in 2010. Vanity call now. My last name is King so i went with K1ING. Taught myself code and got my Extra lic. I will have to look thru my log and see if ive worked a few of ya. So im a 1 call in CO. Quit spinning your beam. Lol.
    Dit dit

15. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

100_1110.JPG
    Me putting up my last beem.

16. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

What beam, which band, how high, etc.

:signs154:

17. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

General since 06 don't really want to give my call,nothing personal, but I like to keep my identity secure on line. But I will say that I am in 1 land & I spend a lot of time on 60m.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Terry likes this.
  18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

FB de 8 land
    Spent many hours on 60 when it first opened up. Cool band.

tp

19. J_Man

FB, FB! Leave that repeater jargon where it belongs OM!

Just kidding. Or am I?

Terry likes this.
  20. J_Man

Top band & 60 tend to have a better class of operators so that's where I like to stay...just my opinion.

Terry likes this.