2019 How much did you spend?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Ksblazer, Dec 30, 2019.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Net: $50-60 bucks still way south of what carts used to cost

Ksblazer and brit like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I had a different strategy when I started to Traditional shaving and it was to save money on shaving supplies . So I was cautious with spending at first and did a lot research with reading on the forums of products available while buying a few cheap razors and brushes. My Wife wanted me to shave my head and so I read up on that possible venture and concluded no way. (A lot of effort to keep it nice & I would not enjoy my appearance looking like Telly Salvalas Kojak famous look IMO)
    But she bought me a electric hair Clipper in DEC 2016 for Christmas and that is were I saved a lot of money and transferred my savings to buying shaving gear. The strange thing people I hang out with never even noticed I was cutting my own hair, the secret is to keep it short and clipped every 3 weeks.
    A haircut was costing me up in Northern Alberta Canada about $26 Canadian with a tip, also about 4 dollars worth of gas forth & back driving to down town barber, so I spent at least $30 per month . Now multiply that by 12 it comes to $360.00 Canadian + I was spending I about $50.00> on Gillette Cartridges and and canned goop per year , that equals about $410 per year. 3 years later I have saved $1,230.00 on cutting my own hair and cartridge shaving supplies. I have spent approx $900 on razors,$200 on aftershaves,$120 on soaps +$120 on DE & SE blades + $80 on brushes + $200> on EBAY shipping for a approximate total of $1,720 Canadian over 3 yrs. This year if I keep my spending to barely nothing :rofl: I will save another $410 in 2020 which will bring my savings to $1,640,00 approximately and I have enough shaving supplies for 8yrs approx.
    If looking at a 4 year hobby of shaving and getting some excellent shaves and enjoying the pleasures of traditional shaving and communicating with interesting folks it was well worth it IMO. I have had a lot of fun for now while I have been healing from surgery this year, also being retired with lots of time to research and try and stay out of the wife's hair it has been worth every dollar spent.
    So there is ways of looking at shaving in a positive financial way if you are concerned about saving money, beware of the Rabbit holes that can be fun and expensive at the same time.
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

$35 for a Gillette Heritage razor and travel case, and about $40 for soaps and creams (includes a $25 for a tub of Art of Shaving cream). So about $75, which is a lot more than I usually spend.

4. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

Let’s see just put down 65 on a new straight. About 15 on some lapping film and a few other odds prolly around 90 may spend a little more in the next 6 hours before it hits 2359 lol. It’s already 1723 here.

5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I bought an antique shave mug that came with a GEM Micromatic for .99 cents and gave the razor away. I bought a Salamander straight for $17 and a bumpless Micromatic for $7. No new soap, brushes, or blades. I am not eyeing any new items and probably am set for several years unless I decide to buy another packet of lapping films.

Frijolero, Keithmax, Ksblazer and 3 others like this.
  6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

It's all about the savings for me.

As a practicality, I'm saving money on the consumables. The hardware is an investment.

As a hobby, I'm saving money due to its low comparative cost against horses, boats, cars, motorcycles, firearms, wild wimmin, or any combination of the above.

It is just a win-win by my accounting.

And look at the savings I'm having on my cigarette budget since I went smoke free. The only loser is Uncka Gubba...... Still feel bad about leaving him with his nicotine tax addiction though.

Frijolero, Ron R, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

this year was more costly than the past 2 years of my de adventure due to my completing a brit gillette collection,some deals came up and i acted on them.i usually funded my hardware purchases by selling duplicate razors cheap to friends or other collectables i used to indulge in.reinvesting ..in reality i spent a lot less in soap /aftershaves this year.with current stock on blades and software i could go without any purchases for a few years.,save for a soap or fragrance that piques my interest.loved the journey so far with zero regrets..and my face is thankful for it as well..

Frijolero, Ron R, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Yes you are!
    But I am getting some extraordinary shaving here. Kinda evens it all out, I finally got it!
    Thanks!

:happy088:
    tp

9. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Under the $100 mark,even including the couple of kits I gave away (vintage Gillettes, Semogue brushes, and Stirling soaps).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I hear you. I can say I've also been getting some amazing shaves. The RR GC OC has jumped to the top of my favorite razor list. I only found Polsilvers this year and those too have become my favorite blades. And my recent boar brush in the Rubberset 400 tribute handle rounds out my 400 tributes in each hair type (badger, boar and synth - no horse for me). I really can't say I'm in need of anything now. It's been four years but I finally think I got it as well. Happy New Year!

11. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Yes. You don't want to mess with boats. You know what boat stands for? Break Out Another Thousand.

Frijolero, Keithmax, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

yes sir, a hole in the water to pour cash into..

Frijolero, Keithmax, Ksblazer and 3 others like this.
  13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

A boat owner remembers 2 days of his boating experience.
    The day he bought it.
    And
    The day he sold it.....
    Well....
    tp

14. brit

brit in a box

:D

Terry and Spyder like this.
  15. Edison Carter

......... anymore!

My Dad had 2 sayings about boats.
    1) they are a hole in the water in which you pour money.
    2) the 2 happiest days of a boaters life, the day he gets it..... the day he sells it!

I was always stubborn..... so I had to enjoy the luxury of proving him right 2X. Funny though, he and mom never refused an invite for a day out on the boat.

One thing though, unlike horses..... They only eat when you use them.
    Horses? About 18 hours per day, every day till they stop fertilizer manufacturing.

16. Edison Carter

Terry, Frijolero, brit and 1 other person like this.
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I've learned about horses, they give you more crap then enjoyment.
    And unlike other large 4 legged domestic animals, no matter how you cook 'em. They still tast like a horse.
    Well....
    :pot:....... :(
    Well.....
    tp

Frijolero, brit and Keithmax like this.
  18. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I'm so ashamed that I won't even keep track of what I spend, and even if I did, I would not admit it in a public forum.

brit, Edison Carter, Terry and 2 others like this.
  19. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

$0! Finishing up 3 years of NB and excited to start re-stocking supplies in 2020. Want to try to keep the splurging to a minimum, we'll see if I'm reformed or relapsing.;)

Primotenore, Frijolero, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  20. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I don't really regret the purchases I made this year. I know I spent more than I did in the past but I figure it was less than a $1 a day for the year. And I'm pretty much out of space in the shave den for anything else new. So I'm kind of in that mode that I either need to use it up or give it away. Before I replace it now.

I don't have a problem with spending $$ on something I use often.

My Razorock .84 game changer is the best razor in my den. Gives me close and comfortable shaves every time I use it.

The Gillette silver blues are the best blades in my den.

Bought some synthetic shave brushes as I'd heard good things about Yaqi brushes. I only had badger and boars. So I look forward to. Trying them out this year to see how they compare.

I have enough Turkish shave sticks that I could probably just shave with for the next 10yrs exclusively.

Some new soaps soaps to go in the rotation to keep things interesting. Also some now that aren't in production anymore. But I bought them before the supply ran out and the price has almost doubled for what's left.

Turkish hammered shave mug. I enjoy using it so far and it was reasonably priced.

I few lotions and shave gels from local stores. That I use everyday.

Added some new aftershave splashes. I like having a variety of them. Kind if like a soap rotation I guess. There were a couple that I think we're just ok. The others I like better and Epsilon is my new favorite.

This has made my shaving routine more enjoyable. As well as its fun to discuss them when the topic comes up on the shave forums.

Frijolero and Edison Carter like this.