Any bourbon/scotch drinkers?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Tiredricefarmer, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Thinking of getting into trying different brands of bourbon and was wondering if we had any hobby bourbon drinkers here at The Den. Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions about your favorites and any great bourbons to start with.

Was considering trying something from Buffalo Trace Distillery and would welcome any thoughts or comments.

Happy New Year to all!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I haven't tried that one yet, but definitely enjoy my bourbon on my time off. I've been working my way through the varieties, but keep returning to Evan Williams. When this bottle run low I'm thinking of trying Four Roses.

:eatdrink013:

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm a reformed hobbyist. Lots of people I know like the Buffalo Trace offerings but it was never one of my favorites. That doesn't mean you won't like it.

It really doesn't matter what other people think, it is you drinking it. That said, the only exception is Old Crow. That stuff is horrendous.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I prefer rye to bourbon, but if I am drinking bourbon, it will be Basil Hayden's.

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Old Forester (86 proof) is a very good, inexpensive bourbon. I've tried a lot but it's my mainstay.

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I like rye as well. I enjoy Manhattans and make those with rye.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  7. Tiredricefarmer

I haven't tried their offerings either. Heard a few who said some of their stuff was really good but can be hard to find. They make Old Charter and Ancient Age. They also have offerings that cost in the hundreds of dollars to one that runs $6,500.00 :eatdrink047:!

Enrico likes this.
  8. Tiredricefarmer

Old Crow makes me think of my young and stupid days! :signs136:

Herm2502 likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If you haven’t tried the black label Evan Williams, it’s worth a try.

Ezra Brooks isn’t worth the money and Jim Beam is only ok.

My son and I have been ranking bourbons, so it’s fun to compare notes.

:eatdrink013:

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I've tried a few different bourbons, and Four Roses Single Barrel is my favorite so far.

11. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I like old forester also. Old forester let’s you know you are drinking.. the lower end ones is bold.
    But lately I have been drinking Four Roses bourbon, The least expensive I call it yellow label, good enough to to be a sippin bourbon, but lately I’ve been making old fashioned with it. It’s about $20 around here. The fanciest I ever bought was angel’s envy... it is finished in port barrels... this one doesn’t get mixed, I thought it to be too smooth, And the port tones were a bit fancy for my taste buds.

12. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I have two inexpensive favorites. Weller is a wheated bourbon, very smooth. Dickel #12 is a Tennessee sour mash that I like to sip also.

Leclec13, Tiredricefarmer and Enrico like this.
  13. Tiredricefarmer

I remember trying Evan Williams years ago and thinking I liked it, just can't remember if it was black label. Will put it on my starter list.

Enrico likes this.
  14. Tiredricefarmer

The Four Roses is one I've read good things about, will add it to my starter list. Thanks!

15. Tiredricefarmer

W. L. Weller is a Buffalo Trace product and one I wanted to try so it's on my list.

Enrico and Leclec13 like this.
  16. Tiredricefarmer

This is the kind of info I was looking for. Hope we can keep this thread going, think it would be fun to compare notes and try different bourbons. Will start with the Four Roses single barrel and Evan black label. Hopefully I'll be able to find them in pints or half pints and go from there, however, something tells me the good stuff doesn't come in those small amounts, thanks guys!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    wristwatchb and Enrico like this.
  17. wristwatchb

Erik, Weller is in very short supply near me due to its popularity. Can you find it on the shelves at the stores in your neck of the woods? I live just a few miles from where it is made, and I can't get it locally.

Erik Redd, PLAla and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  18. wristwatchb

A 750 ml bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel goes for $32 in my neck of the woods. It sells out occasionally at this price. With a bit of persistence, though, it can be found on the shelves.

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm not a drinker, of anything hard. Perhaps a couple of times a year. But I have had my share, in my youth. I am not a fan of Bourbon, but tonight, a neighbor gave me some Buffalo Trace Bourbon. It was very smooth and had a nice flavor. Two thumbs up.

Tiredricefarmer and Enrico like this.
  20. Tiredricefarmer

The more I read and hear about it the more I'm going to be on the hunt for it. Been so busy the last week haven't had time to look, tomorrow might be the day.