Any bourbon/scotch drinkers?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Tiredricefarmer, Dec 30, 2019.

1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I can't afford to be a hobbyist, but some I have found that I really enjoy:
    1792 Full Proof
    Henry McKenna Single Barrell
    Rich & Rare - inexpensive, Canadian, and my go-to bang for buck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I understand. I don't think this is something I'll do every day. I'm looking at this as an alternative to my beer drinking and as a way of exploring and learning something new. Adding all 3 of yours to the list and hoping to get out later and look around to see what I can find.

SharptoothC likes this.
  3. Tiredricefarmer

Just got home with a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel. I'll have to say it's dang good! Feel like I chose pretty well for my first time out.

Dave in KY and wristwatchb like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Bourbon... That's the stuff you drink when the Scotch runs out, right? I've tried Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Ezra Williams, Crown Royal and Maker's Mark. Probably a few others over the years. Can't say I liked any of them neat. They are alright if you add coke.

5. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Evan Williams? & Four Roses?

I thought I was bad for having drank AAA back in the day, and on those frequent times my bucks were low AA!

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  6. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

AA and Coke will mess with your head!

Crown is a good Canadian, though!

PLANofMAN and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  7. Tiredricefarmer

Oh boy, I've tried scotch, couldn't do it. I'm very new to this bourbon hobby, green even, but the one thing I've already learned is, the lighter the sip, the better the taste.

S Barnhardt, PLANofMAN and Enrico like this.
  8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

It's hit or miss, there's a Total Wine store nearby that generally has it, but is sometimes out. Typically they limit sales to one or two bottles per person. On New Year's eve they had a few 750 ml and liter bottles, but were sold out of the 1.75 liter bottles.

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    After giving it some serious consideration, it occurs to me that I do in fact indulge in bourbon. Several times a week.

Derby City Chop Shop's Winter Reserve. External use only, I'm afraid.

Yuge fan. It's a truly great aftershave. Really terrific. Very beautiful. Just a fantastic aftershave. Other aftershaves? Losers! Total disasters. Ask anyone, they all know. Everyone agrees, believe me.

10. Tiredricefarmer

I just realized something, you are one of the biggest enablers on this site for me. Since I've become a member I've bought 3 sets of Duralex glasses ( they make a great wedding gift), two pairs of Wiss scissors, and a dog collar and leash. You're killing me, lol. Maybe you could write an article on bourbon, oh wait.........lol.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    S Barnhardt and Enrico like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've been known to enjoy a drink or two, but not enough to invest in a high quality bottle. As I've gotten older drinking has taken a way way back seat. You know that fold down bench seat facing the car behind you in pops station wagon.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Only get the aftershave if you like Bay Rum, lol.

How are you liking the leash and collar?

S Barnhardt and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  13. Tiredricefarmer

Got them for my daughter and she loves it. She adopted a rescue golden retriever and they work well with him.

I do enjoy your articles but they are becoming expensive, lol.

S Barnhardt and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I tend to occasionally indulge in a glass of Bourbon every so often, or every few minutes, depends on who you ask, but I digress...

But seriously taste is subjective, so try a few and go with what you like, and in my experience price doesn't always reflect quality. I bought a friend a bottle of Woodford Reserve Straight Kentucky and he prefers his Wild Turkey over it. So go nuts and experiment.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Tiredricefarmer and S Barnhardt like this.
  15. Tiredricefarmer

I think it's going to be a fun hobby with a huge rabbit hole if I'm not careful, lol. Had a buddy get me to try Some Woodford a few years ago, told me it had a smoky bacon flavor. I almost spit it out, thought it was horrible. :sick007: Taste really is subjective.

J_Man and wristwatchb like this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm glad you like it. :happy088:

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

If you're enjoying bourbon neat...

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is their best offering, IMHO. It actually pairs really with chocolate or even fruitcake (serious). However, I still prefer Four Roses Single Barrel.

Dave in KY and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  18. Tiredricefarmer

I actually have some whiskey stones I got from my daughter a couple Christmas's ago. Been adding a couple of those to my glass.
    I may have to give the Woodford another try one but for now, it's way down the list.

wristwatchb likes this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well the Evan Williams is very nearly gone so tomorrow going to pick up some Four Roses.

:eatdrink047:

20. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Just stay away from anything that comes by the gallon and sells for $8.00

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Tiredricefarmer and Enrico like this.