Watchbands and straps

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Dec 22, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Comfort is the #1 thing I look for when attaching a watch to my wrist. Appearance and quality are also considered, but secondarily. It doesn't matter how nicely made or attractive a watch band or bracelet is; if it's uncomfortable I can't tolerate it. So this post is just my observations and opinions on the most comfortable types of bands you can buy.

There are three main types of band for watches where the band isn't integral to the case, as with a G-Shock. They are metal, leather, and some type of woven fabric (cotton, nylon, etc).

METAL: typically stainless steel, the bracelet style is chunkier than the others and is now commonly seen even on cheap watches. There's the oyster band and also the jubilee, with smaller links than the oyster. These can be comfortable if fitted correctly but adjustment can be a pain. Also, the styling really is limited to certain types of timepieces, like divers or some dress watches. Accumulation of perspiration and ambient temperature can be minor annoyances depending on where you live.

For my money, the most comfortable metal band - and the most comfortable watch band of them all - is the old style metal expansion band with rounded segments lining the inside. These were made up through the early 1960s. Not chunky like bracelets, when fitted correctly they disappear and you quickly forget you're even wearing a watch. Plus, if you find the right one to match your watch they are indeed very handsome. Need to wash your hands and don't want to get your watch wet? Just slide it all the way up to your elbow.

LEATHER: the old standby, a good quality leather band is very comfortable. In time molding itself to the owner's wrist, they naturally attain a lived in look that's always appealing. Coming in a broad variety of colors, finishes, and textures, leather is hard to beat and pair well with most any watch. With care, even middling quality leather can last for decades. However, with heavy wear the absorption of sweat and eventual odor can be a concern.

FABRIC: generally cheaper then either leather or metal, fabric bands are very popular and practical choices. The NATO and Zulu styles, typically made of nylon, are good choices with many types of watches and come in a much greater variety of looks than any other category. They can be stiff, depending on the construction, but eventually most of them will soften up comparably to broken in leather.

Durability and reliability are second to none, as there's nothing that can go wrong with the strap itself. Pin failure is the only potential problem but that's not the strap's fault.

My most comfortable of this type is a simple Vietnam era black nylon strap. Judging by the broken watch it came attached to, it may have been military issue (the reason it is more comfortable than any modern fabric strap I have tried is that it is extremely thin). But all of these straps, weather nylon or cotton, are reasonably comfortable right out of the box. They allow sweat to evaporate and can be easily cleaned and deodorized as often as necessary.

For hotter climates, the mesh-like Perlon strap is a good choice, although they are typically stiffer and remain noticeably less comfortable no matter how broken in they become.

When broken in, cotton straps can be even more comfortable than nylon and with all of nylon's advantages (except perhaps longevity). They also typically come with quick-release pins to make swapping out bands a piece of cake.

One more that I really wanted to like but just can't bring myself to wear in the Florida climate, is a simple strap made of thin silicone rubber. It is extremely comfortable, with its perfect molding to the wrist but breathability is zero so perspiration quickly builds up beneath it, leaving the wrist feeling clammy, just as all plastic straps do for me. But in a cooler climate, it should be a very good choice.

All comments, opinions, and preferences are welcome.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Great Read. I personally prefer Expansion Band’s with rounded under corner’s Also. I have a few NATO bands but don’t wear them to often.
    I also like Stainless Steel link bands that don’t pull all my hair off my Wrist.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Exactly!

The right expansion band it's worth the money it can cost a hunt one down on eBay. I've never had one snag me.

In the 1960s until today, they were stamped out more cheaply with those blocky rectangular inner segments which hug the wrist too closely. Makes it too noticeable and way less breathable. Can't stand them.

Keithmax, wristwatchb and cliffb599 like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I discovered Nato bands a few years back and now they are my favorite. They can smell from sweat, but washing is easy.

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Great article!

NATO and Zulu straps are inexpensive, rugged, and come in unlimited colors. A strap change can give a watch a whole new look. The nylon varieties can also be removed from a watch head and washed to freshen them up. They're fairly stiff when new, but they will soften up nicely over time. NATO straps also protect the the watch head from damage during a single spring bar failure, as the watch head will remain attached to the strap. For more information: https://twobrokewatchsnobs.com/nato-strap-guide/

My favorite, though, is the stainless steel Oyster bracelet with solid links. It gives a sports watch a very nice, classic look. They're comfortable, and they won't pull arm hair. If they are not cleaned occasionally, however, "wrist gunk" (dead skin cells, oils, dirt, and bits of lasagna from last Saturday night) will accumulate between the links, creating an abrasive paste that eventually wears out the bracelet. Google "metal watch bracelet stretch," and you'll see what I mean. The metal doesn't stretch, obviously, but the effect on the bracelet caused by the action of the abrasive paste between the links makes it appear stretched. This problem can be minimized by occasionally washing a metal link bracelet with a grease-cutting dish soap or cleaning it in an ultrasonic cleaner and by not wearing it too loosely.

RyX, Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Maybe I've had the bad luck of just using cheaply made oysters. Actually, I know that's the case.

wristwatchb likes this.
  7. Chuck Naill

No more metal brackets for me. They fray the cuffs on my dress shirts.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have both metal bracelets and leather straps. I have had both comfortable and uncomfortable metal bracelets. For dress watches I prefer leather straps. For some reason I don't like NATO straps.

cliffb599, wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

20191223_145040_resize_46_resize_33.jpg

Bad photo but this is the Nam era basic strap on Caravelle's Seiko 5 clone. Not a bad match, it's less dressy than black leather or SS would be.

Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

20191223_145738_resize_3_resize_69.jpg

Not my oldest leather but my most comfortable. Comes from a long-dead Kenneth Cole chronograph, this buttery soft band is all that's left. Starting to look its age.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    RyX, Enrico, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

20191223_144958_resize_6.jpg

$10 from Walmart. Picked it up because it reminds me of a Skagen. Ditched the metal mesh band it came with. Cheap suede is very comfortable.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

20191223_145912_resize_13.jpg
    You used to be able to buy these expansions from a rack in any drugstore. Wish this kind was still made somewhere. Once you wear one, you'll know.

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My primary watch band is a metal mesh.

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. Chuck Naill

Having a Swiss Army and Hamilton Khaki fail, I now use this $12 Skemi quartz. I rarely take it off. It goes hiking, mowing, bush hogging, and at work.
    Skemi.jpg

RyX, cliffb599 and gorgo2 like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thats nice for the money. I always liked the look of Hamilton field watches. Were they able to service it?

cliffb599 likes this.
  16. Chuck Naill

I took it to a watch repair when no local shop would touch it. It's been there two years. I figure it will never be repaired. It was a nice automatic. The reason I don't care is because it will cost $200 to clean and get back.

I am considering my next watch to be an Invicta.

Interestingly. my two Hamilton RR watches are 68 and 118 years old and run just fine.

RyX, cliffb599 and gorgo2 like this.
  17. cliffb599

This is what I wear currently.
    [​IMG]
    Great Watch.

This is what I have coming in tomorrow.
    47 mm Grand Diver.
    [​IMG]

18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I put a military style nylon strap on my Expedition. More comfortable and looks better........
    wwwwwww.jpg

19. cliffb599

Does look good.

gorgo2 and jimjo1031 like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good match!