How to Test Sharpness on your SR?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Willk, Sep 23, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I cannot agree more, when looking straight on. Any sparkle means a rounded or flattened edge, on the bevel, and the light is reflecting off of it. Not to be confused when looking at the bevel, from the side view.

Keithmax, Spyder, Leclec13 and 3 others like this.
  2. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

My recent new test is running razor lightly / floating above hair on head. Then check for cut hairs. And/or hear feel for catch and pop. It not a traditional way but traditional HHT does not work since I have fine hair, even when tested against a fresh blade

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I do believe setting the bevel to be the most concerned aspect when beginning to hone and use a straight razor. I don't have a loupe or a light. I don't sweat the bevel. Over the past two years I've honed a couple of dozen old, vintage, used and abused straight razors and turned them into near or same as shavette. Someone once said that if you can effectively cut arm hair, move on in the honing progression.

Our shaving skill also takes time to "hone". If we were using a DE or SE, even a shavette, after than first shave, we are using a progressively more dull edge, yet it works to provide a good result. Perfect is for the unskilled. I've been taking a break from using a SR. It's been informative to go back to manufactured edges.

That said, I have the M. Jung German made ready for tomorrow. It's nice to have a wide collection of tools to perform a daily need.

Keithmax likes this.
  4. Willk

Willk Active Member

I tried several tests to check the bevel and sharpness of my straight razor. Note. These tests were done AFTER I did a regiment of about 10 passes on a 3k and 10 passes on an 8k stone (Whetstone for Knives W Z4K7, made from professional grade aluminum oxide). The video is about 8min long, so you can use the following guide to see a particular test. (To see more clearly, you can click on the vimeo button and see the video in a larger display or full screen)

0:00 - DE razor Tree Top Chop reference test
    1:37 - Straight Razor Tree Top Chop test
    2:21 - Cherry tomato test
    3:25 - Blade Edge Light Sparkle test
    4:02 - Magic Marker or Sharpie test
    5:56 - Tap & Wobble test
    7:09 - Final comments

My conclusion is that my straight razor is not as sharp as it could be, and the bevel is set reasonably correct. What's left to look into? My honing technique, or quality of stones, I suppose.

Will

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Keithmax likes this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Ever hear of Slash McCoy?

Keithmax and Leclec13 like this.
  6. Leclec13

That import 3-8 k is a horrible stone !!! ( I should know I bought similar stone from amazon when I was starting)
    Maybe your camera mic was close but is sounds super coarse. I did not sound like proper 8k. Even a dry 8k.
    You need better stones that that 3/8 k combo
    I also read more bad reviews on your Norton flattening stone.
    You are honing basically in a dry stone!
    you need more water / lube on that stone when honing even though the stone was soaked you need some lubrication on the stone when honing. You will want to see water getting picked up by razor while honing. Think wet- stone not damp.

like chuck suggests film is an inexpensive honing progression to try out. Even though I own stones I still regularly revisit films. Early on , Films fastracked my honing. Skills, and quality of my razor edges. It is a known grit progression, and known quality. Film provides you a very very high success rate, for least amount of investment.

If you want 3k 8k stones go with some the standards. Naniwa, Shapton, chosera, suehiro. I’m sure you will get appropriate advice on replacement stones from members here. For flattening Dmt aroma or other good diamond plate. Or. Known flat surface like granite with wet dry sandpaper or loose grit.

( I personally would put that 3/8 k stone aside. In the mean time practice honing on the 12K)

Keithmax likes this.
  7. Willk

Willk Active Member

The stone I used was 3k (red surface). The stone looks dry but it is wet - the water is basically absorbed into the stone. Other stones I have, the water will pool - I don't know why this one doesn't.
    My Norton flattening stone (Norton 69936687444) got bad reviews? It's a Norton, and I paid good money for it, so I'm surprised. I'll look into a Dmt aroma (any other recommendations?)
    The film video was interesting - I've never heard of using films to sharpen a blade before. I'll check that out.
    I'll also look into getting better 3k/ 8k stones (I'll see if I can find a Naniwa or Shapton) - maybe that's my problem!
    Thanks for all the comments...

Keithmax likes this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

A couple of places I've done business with
    Chefknivestogo.com
    Sharpeningsupplies.com

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Chuck Naill

A packet of films will cost you less than $30.

10. Willk

Willk Active Member

If I search on ebay for films, what should I search for?

Keithmax likes this.
  11. Leclec13

Willk. If you get the appropriate base. I will send you a set of films. I suggest a 3x12x 3/4
    Piece of lucite

Chuck Naill and Keithmax like this.
  12. Willk

Willk Active Member

Thank you, but I live in Australia, so the postage might be a bit more expensive than local mail. I'm fine with getting a good quality stone, if it's something I will keep for a lifetime.

Chuck Naill and Edison Carter like this.
  13. Leclec13

14. Willk

Willk Active Member

Thanks - I just ordered it. We'll see how it goes. The above lapping film honing video will come in handy when I'm ready to try it. I'll report my findings...

15. Leclec13

You will need appropriate base. Tempered glass, acrylic. You need it to be flat by a technical straight edge, Then thick enough to clear your fingers while honing. Hit us up for more info . Sometimes you can find plexiglass/ acrylic from local shop maybe place that makes signs. I’m the mean time practice on 12 K. I also suggest 1k king stone if your stone is of poor quality. Thea yare a bit slow but will get the job done. Since your Norton stone flattener is questionable. A flat piece of granite tile and some wet dry sand paper will do the job.

16. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    @Willk

I just read back through this entire thread, and realized that the biggest issue here is that you are bouncing from method to method from suggestion to suggestion

Right here you were making progress, then something took you off course

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/how-to-test-sharpness-on-your-sr.62837/page-2#post-1697328

Pick ONE method, stay with it until you get repeatable success, then adjust from there, it doesn't much matter which method you chose but follow it through until you can repeat it..
    If you keep bouncing around you can't develop the technique needed to attain success

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  17. Chuck Naill

I am not aware a true method has been offered for a novice to follow before the one posted from Slash McCoy.
    Very generous of you, sir.

18. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Yes and that is the problem,,, You are NOT aware .. but that doesn't stop you in the least

Keeping trying you'll get there, don't Fret about it

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    RezDog likes this.
  19. Chuck Naill

Please post where a method was posted for the OP to easily follow to hone to shave ready. Ball is in your court, Glenn.

BTW, I've been there from two years and no thanks to a forum I read. Honing is the easiest things I ever did. Only some want to make it hard.

20. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    You know one thing you push one thing ie: You are not aware of much else