The Slant Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Terry, Jul 22, 2018.

?

I use a slant razor because

1. OK OK I USE A SLANT!! there I said it...

59.5%
  2. What was the question again?

4.8%
  3. It just looks so cool

16.7%
  4. It was love at first sight

7.1%
  5. to spite my nose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ARE we there yet??

11.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Thursday's Turkish Shave;
    • Parker Semi Slant
    • Polsilver Iridium (3)
    • Merkur Eyebrow Razor
    • Merkur Eyebrow Blade (2)
    • Derby Soap in a Bowl
    • VdH Bowl
    • Fine Lather Bowl
    • VdH Boar (New Ver)
    • Gentleman Jon's Alum Block
    • RedOne Professional Sport ASB/EdC
    • Million Dollar Hair Tonic
    • Clubman Firm Hold Pomade
    • DSC Bergamot and White Musk Deodorant
    • Clubman Whiskey Woods Body Powder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

palmolive fox, Terry, Tanuki and 3 others like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD Fri Jan3 2020

Razor : Razorock Wunderbar SS slant-MFG 2017
    Blade : Gillette Nacet (3)
    Soap : Tabac
    Brush : Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm+ with black marble handle.
    Preshave : brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave : Alum + cold water rinse
    Post shave : Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + Nivea balm
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + alum indicated no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]
    Friday Jan 3- 2020 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

3. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

I have a RazoRock 37C, and find it too aggressive for me. But I want to practice and see if I can tame it. It might be good for those one-pass shaves when I'm pressed for time.

Latherin’ Luddite, Terry and BigD like this.
  4. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

It's funny, I shaved with my 37C just this morning, four days after the above post, and got a great shave with no irritation. I think it's taken me two years to finally break the habit of applying too much pressure, a habit which I developed using cartridge razors for so many years. I should have got the hang of it in two minutes, but old habits die hard.

Latherin’ Luddite and Terry like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy088::happy088:

Little if any pressure, ride that cap!!!

Great shave!
    tp

Latherin’ Luddite likes this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Haven't had time to post much but.....
    Using what I call a linear slant. The Neo-Ras is a mid 1930's German design that shaves a different as it looks. Amazingly enough it's a mild razor more like a super speed.
    Using a new Feather blade for each shave, a host of software.
    I took it for a spin a few days....
    Jan 2 - 8, 2020....
    20200102_113427.jpg 20200103_115149.jpg 20200104_071605.jpg 20200105_151146.jpg 20200107_030100.jpg 20200107_055723.jpg 20200108_061607.jpg
    I found it dificult to run the razor as designed, handel straight, head slanted while riding the cap. The first shave I over shaved my neck a little, due to its mild demeanor. After that, things went well. An interesting looking blade holder. For a while I was waiting for it to slice me due to its bent head. That fear is unfounded, there were never any problems with the way it shaves after I figured it out.
    tp

7. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

See I can’t Decide which Slant to Purchase. I lean toward more
    Aggressive Razors.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Terry likes this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

A yaqi slant is a real brush hog. But they only sell the head, you need to supply a handle.
    A Murker 37 short handel or 39 long handel ( same head ) does a good job.

Those are the two that will do it right but wont break the bank.

tp

9. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Sunday 01.19.20 SOTD

DSCF0084 - Edited (1).jpg
    Taylor Of Old Bond Street Shaving Herbal Pre-Shave Gel
    RazoRock German 37 Slant Bar.HD Handle
    Astra Superior Platinum (5)
    Vintage Kingsley (Austria) Pure Badger
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Peppermint Shaving Cream
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Aftershave Balm

DSCF0087 - Edited (1).jpg

10. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

First shave with a Parker 55SL
    semi slant.
    Really great shave.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

11. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Williams Wednesday Shave;
    • Above The Tie Slant (OC and SB)
    • Gillette Rubie (3)
    • Modern Williams Shave Soap
    • Marvy Mug
    • VdH Bowl
    • Fine Lather Bowl
    • Omega 48 Pro
    • Gentleman Jon's Alum Block
    • Williams Aqua Velva Ice Blue (US)
    • Williams Aqua Velva 5 in 1 ASB (US)
    • Homemade Hair Tonic
    • Dapper Dan Heavy Hold Pomade
    • Every Man Jack Deo
    • Clubman Whiskey Woods Body Powder
    This was my first go with the ATT Slant. I am not going to lie, I could have stopped after the first pass for a DFS. After the second pass it was just shy of BBS. The third pass was BBS without effort. I'm very impressed with this razor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Good morning all.
    New slant in the den, a Signature Shaving Company razor.
    It's a heavy one, about as heavy as any, mostly because of the handle.
    Paired with a new Feather blade, the head ran smoothly over the skin like a good slant should.
    2 passes face, I'm clean and smooth.
    2 passes head, it's clean and smooth.
    Not as close a shave as more efficient (aggressive) razors, but not bad at all.
    No issues, a really enjoyable job start to finish.

20200219_055654.jpg
    Time for some coffee.
    All
    Enjoy!
    tp

13. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Ditto. Both very good razors and ver good values. I’ve had my eye on the Wunderbar for a couple years but just can’t justify the expense considering the 37/39c are performing perfectly.

BigD and Terry like this.
  14. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Today's Freedom Friday Shave;
    • Above The Tie (S2, and S1)
    • Concord (3)
    • Stirling Agar Soap
    • Fine Lather Bowl
    • Zenith M15
    • DiY Oud AS/EdC
    • Stirling Agar ASB
    • Million Dollar Hair Tonic
    • Clubman Firm Hold Pomade
    • Axe Dark Temptation Antiperspirant Deodorant
    • Clubman Original Body Powder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Terry, Latherin’ Luddite and Tdmsu like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've been wet shaving for a couple decades, and collecting razors for the last decade. Eventually, you reach a point when you pretty much own everything you want to own. Everything affordable, anyways. Still have a few unicorns, but those fall under the "unobtanium" moniker.

My last slant razor was a vintage Hoffritz (aka Merkur 37C) that I acquired almost 8 years ago. It set a new land speed record for shortest time in my collection. I tried shaving with it twice and ended up finishing the shave with another razor both times.

I swore then that I would never try another slant unless I could find an open comb brass version. As you can imagine, those tend to be rather uncommon. (See "unobtanium" above).
    download.jpeg
    This is one of my unicorns, an Abercrombie & Fitch German made open comb slant. (Not mine, unfortunately). I've seen perhaps three come up for sale in the last decade, and they tend to sell for about $500 to $1,000, depending on condition. Not bad for a Merkur razor.

This:
    il_794xN.2238469852_rgb1.jpg
    Is a Valencia. A French made open comb all brass slant. I'm not sure I would call them rare. Certainly uncommon. European collectors can aquire a full set of all three types fairly easily. (Fat handle long screw, fat handle short screw, and thin handle long screw). The one above was just north of $100. These normally sell for more than $200, provided they have the case and no bent teeth. Mine has bent teeth and no case, hence the low price point.

I'm looking forward to breaking my 8 year slantless streak with the Valencia. Anyone here on the Den shaved with one? Pretty sure @efsk has a thin handle Valencia.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  16. efsk

efsk Active Member

Thanks for the comparison with the A&F @PLANofMAN . I see the similarities with the Valencia, am thinking the head has kinship with Fasan as well, based on the fact that there is a definite relation between the Merkur superslant and the Fasan, except the superslant is not OC.
    As for Valencia, I have six of them, three fat handle, two thin handle short screw and one thin handle long screw. I like the latter one best, not because of the save but because I like the looks of thin handle long screws. I also have a thing for the vintage Merkur 38, which was a thin handle long screw slant before they reused the modelnumber. One of the fat ones has a bent tooth, a replacement is in the mail.
    When you use these with care, you can get tremendously efficient and lasting shaves with them, as long as you keep the angle right. Angle wrogn and they tend to be a bit aggressive. However, together with the PAA Alpha Ecliptic (and its unbranded original) these are amongst my favorite slants.
    Here's a few pics of mine:
    DSC06602.JPG DSC06637.JPG DSC04272.JPG DSC04303.JPG

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Mea Culpa!

The picture of A&F slant above was actually a Merkur slant. I found the original photo.
    4c12b63541c969c16a391f6668be23ad.jpg
    It's identical to the A&F slant, aside from branding, but still...

part of the confusion around the A&F slants is due to the fact that they had several models of open comb slants. The above style was just sold under the "Abercrombie & Fitch" name, and had A&F branding rather than Merkur branding. Later styles were sold under "Abercrombie & Fitch Co." branding. I'm not sure when A&F added "Co." to the branding on the razor cases. The company as a whole was called Abercrombie & Fitch Co. starting in 1904.

I had to reference some of my old posts for that info, which was based on posts from forums that no longer exist. If I recall correctly (something to be taken with a grain of salt), the difference was 1920's razors vs 1930's razors.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    palmolive fox, Terry and efsk like this.
  18. efsk

efsk Active Member

Terry and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    There's the Raadvad open comb slant too...

Edit:
    I thought the Alpha was based on the Walbusch Humpback slant?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Terry likes this.
  20. efsk

efsk Active Member

I've never seen a Walbusch Humpback looking like the Alpha Ecliptic, and I have four (not counting the versions from other suppliers). Does not mean it is not possible Walbusch at one point made the AE-original, but I've never seen proof of that.
    I have found a humpbackrazor where the head is definitely the original for the AE, but that one is unbranded. So far, I haven't been able to plot the timeframe of that one against that of the Walbusches, plain and simple because I don't know when it was made. I have the idea it predates it, but no solid evidence.
    Walbusch:
    DSC04463.JPG DSC02633.JPG

Alpha Ecliptic. Note where the Walbusch head is sqaure, with a straight underside of the head, the AE underside is tilted. Also, the hump of the Walbusch is curved, the AE is straight and pointed. Second pic, the black one is the unbranded original
    DSC08643.JPG DSC08647.JPG

As you mentioned Raadvad, here is mine. Amazing story how I got it: I had one in a razor lot, but one side of the baseplate was bent. Tried a shave nonetheless, didn't like I could only use one side of the head, got out of the bathroom and did an ebaysearch, and this cased one was just posted as BIN. I had hit the buy button before I overcame my amazement.
    DSC09600.JPG DSC09602.JPG

Terry and PLANofMAN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.