The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I believe a Russian razor I own has very light pink scales. Not a common color for Straights.

2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

10F6D299-C508-4DF0-9950-14E23C3B8400.jpeg

Sometimes exposure to light or age can turn some ivory-colored plastics pink, though Scott’s razor seems to be too uniform to be light exposure. I had a Japanese razor that had half the scale exposed/covered and half was pink. A bit redder pink though, Scott’s seems almost Mary Kay pink. I’ve owned several Japanese with smudges of pink in ivory-colored plastic.

Picked this 7/8 Tuckmar Welt Ruf up off the bay, light wear and even bevel, not much pitting, just patina. Should clean up well I hope. Tiny bit of hone wear at the toe, but at the price I’m good with that.

Timwcic, DaltonGang, RezDog and 7 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

Nice find.

Steve56 and TestDepth like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

A very cool find.

TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Thanks Keith.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thanks Scott.

7. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

From today’s dirt mall, two diamonds in the rough. A Grah & Plümacher "Silver Ring" 5/8+ and a W&B FBU 8/8. The Grah has a nicely done worked spine and is in a VG condition. The W&B did not have the same good life. Over the decades, lost one half of the horn scales and most of the high collar washers. The blade is a fat 8/8 but will need a haircut repairing the bevel.

B34B3CF2-92B1-4418-AD6D-DE68CDA72C5F.jpeg 303CAF04-BE9B-4F81-AA32-0E035CB124BE.jpeg CE360AAC-9574-4CD0-B4CE-2A1D90812CFA.jpeg F05AEE2E-7582-4231-A21A-F74C0B6A534C.jpeg B00EEAC9-2ED7-4108-9042-6B5C0D140B5B.jpeg

Chuck Naill, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 6 others like this.
  8. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I really like the super old mismatched scales. I have a Torrey with the same scale repair, I fully intend on keeping them just as they are. Grah and Plumacher made some very nice razors. Both of those are great scores.

9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That W&B should clean up nicely, you’ve got enough ‘meat’ to work with.

10. DaltonGang

Very nice score. I would ditch the wood portion, and keep the original horn. Then make a nice replacement horn for the wood, with some nice period looking collars. The wood detracts from the look and scarcity of the W & B.

Karl G, Keithmax, Timwcic and 2 others like this.
  11. Timwcic

Thanks all for the nice comments. It does have good meat on the bones, it should be about 7/8 when bevel is reset. I have 1/2 set of FBU square bottom horn scales, somewhere in a parts box, hope it is the correct side

12. DaltonGang

If not, make your own. It's easier than it looks.

Timwcic, Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  13. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Horn is very easy to shape with minimal tools. I do a lot of shaping with a scaper. It removes material quite fast.

14. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

A little 4/8” T.I. for a change up...
    Le Petit Francais

Overall shape looked okay in the pics, and I have a little work on the edge in the middle, but looking forward to bringing it back to life.
    85B67E1B-E374-4E1C-90A7-759EB2372CB1.jpeg
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

15. brit

brit in a box

cool razor Tom..

TestDepth likes this.
  16. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thank you Gary. It will be fun to see what this little razor will do.

brit likes this.
  17. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I like 4/8 and 5/8 razors and apparently so did the someone back in the day since there are so many of them. Old catalogs agree.

Keithmax, TestDepth and esvh like this.
  18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

A1A04904-D71E-4B4B-9FC4-54927B4E5190.jpeg B6D98DBC-ED78-4C3A-BB3B-A65B610A1C5E.jpeg

The Tuckmar 14 and 11/16 Koch Faultless arrived. The Tuckmar is identical to a Filly 14, same nose slant, same jimps top and bottom, and the scales are identical to the plain black Gen 1 Filly scales. The hone wear is light and even, so I came out well on this one. Needs a little TLC and honing, and thats about it.

The 11/16 Koch Faultless is the only razor that I’ve seen besides a modern TI with a hook nose, though maybe I’ve not been paying attention lol. Old by the stamp font and scales are horn, so I’d put it at 1880s-1890s. Koch started in 1874 IIRC. Also needs just a little TLC.

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, RezDog and 5 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

Me likey.

TestDepth likes this.
  20. Timwcic

Thanks, I have worked with horn with great success. I try to keep original if possible. I got a new to me material to use for scales. Came from a estate sale. Taking my time while I research the best way to harvest scales

2FA33173-4A73-4802-8400-A84CE88D56BB.jpeg

Steve56, RezDog, TestDepth and 4 others like this.