I'm Baaaack......

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Michael, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Hi guys. Been out of town and incommunicado for the past week or so. Combination family visits and business trip. On the way home, I stopped to see my oldest son in NYC where I...

Finally made it to Yankee Stadium!!!!!!! I've been a Yanks fan for as long as I can remember, but somehow never made it to the Bronx. Awesome place! MUCH nicer and better maintained than Fenway (not a slam against the Sox - but it just IS). Gonna be a shame to tear it down. Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem nearly as big in person as it does on TV. My youngest son came up from Virginia too, so the three of us got to go to the game. Anyway, Yanks-Red Sox on Saturday...so far, the only time they've beaten the Sox this year! Maybe I should go to all their games! :D BTW, Big Papi didn't get that nickname for nothin'...he's a BIG DUDE!!

Now for the obligatory shaving segment...you guys will either be proud of me or I'll be banned...no middle ground here. First, it seemed like every time I turned a corner there was yet another Target store. So, naturally, I had to see what they all had in the way of Proraso products. :D I must have stopped at at least half a dozen stores in the past week! Three ASB's @ $3-something each. Period. Nothin' else in stock (well, except the canned goop - which of course, I did NOT buy).

When I hit Manhattan, I stopped in at Pasteur Pharmacy with it's excellent selection of Taylor, GFT, Harris, Proraso (I'd never even seen the red), etc. - they even had Mitchell's Wool Fat. Now for the ::banpart...I DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING!!!! Don't know what came over me, but for whatever reason, I left empty handed. Guess I'm not a true believer!

One more thing...I also picked up my first Gillette adjustable (Fat Boy) while on my trip. An E1 which dates it to the 1st Q of 1959. I believe that was the 1st year of production. Not perfect, but not bad - and for $4.50, I can live with that. Tried it this morning and while for some reason I didn't much like using it, I got the best shave I've had in quite a while. Go figure.

Anyway, enough of my adventures. Nice to be back....

2. Smedley

Smedley New Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

I'm scared! Someone hold me! (Preferably Halle Berry.)

Welcome back, anyway. Clearly, being away from our healthy influence has led you to make some bad decisions. :rofl

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

You didn't pick up ANY of those great products? That's really a shame, may I suggest you turning back on the spot and buying up the whole store? :rofl

Just kidding, nice trip, Michael! ::

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome back Michael!

Maybe you didn't buy anything because you forgot what you went in the store for. :rofl

Nah, you were probably just too overwhelmed by the choices. I understand. That's how I am when I go to London's Bathecary. Just so much stuff. :drool

5. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

Michael, I actually suggest picking up some of that Proraso canned goo if you come across it again. As canned goo goes, it's not too bad. And it's good to have some on hand in case you're ever in a position to have to shave without your brush. And if you thought the Proraso in the tube and tub had a menthol kick, look out! The Proraso canned goo slaps you in the face with it.

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Welcome Back bud - and congrats on the FB, it should treat you well :happy088

7. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Nice story ,

Wow what a selfcontrol not to pick up even the Proraso Red id def. gone bezerk on the red to try it. and you left the Woolfat behind ?

I just heard from the mods they are evaluating your membership .. :rofl

@Smedley...

Halle Berry .. :drool

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Michael.....

and you call yourself a "shavegeek?"
    I dont even know who you are anymore ;)
    Glad you had a great time and Welcome back.

9. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Michael,
    Sounds like a great all round trip, family visits, Yankee Stadium and "Shave" shopping, who could ask for more!

Sounds like a good buy on the Fatboy. I didn't much care for the Fatboy at first either. I just kept pulling it out and finally figured out all of it's quirks, it's now part of my rotation.Now about that Wool Fat....

Regards,