World War 1 British Red Cross Research Assistance Needed

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by S Barnhardt, Jan 16, 2020.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I know there will be those who are, right about now, saying "What?" Allow me to try to explain the why for this request.

In a "Haul" from an estate sale/auction yesterday, I came into possession of a mantle clock dated to 1917 that I'm trying to research the historical significance of if I can. Going by what is written on a plaque attached to the front of this clock, it was awarded to a person in 1917 in observance of some kind of contribution they made. I'm trying to see if I can find out who this person was, what they did, and any significance that might be connected to it. I'm trying Google and following links from that. But I seem to not be making any meaningful progress, so I'm asking for the assistance anyone might be willing to lend. Especially from anyone who is into and/or knowledgable on WW1 British history.

This is a picture of the plaque on the clock.

IMG_20200116_055159209.jpg

Silvestris, gorgo2, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

very cool.any of the surviving family members at the estate sale?..will check a few things out.east lancs is east lancashire.

3. brit

brit in a box

4. brit

brit in a box

5. brit

brit in a box

6. S Barnhardt

@brit Thank you Sir!

7. brit

brit in a box

8. S Barnhardt

I will!

I bought this thing because of the plaque. The story this thing "must-have" is intriguing.

:lam:

Hembree and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

its very cool.would love to here more if you find stuff,and a pic of the clock would be cool as well.:)

Hembree and S Barnhardt like this.
  10. S Barnhardt

I will certainly work to keep you in the loop as I discover more! I've gotten into some genealogy research projects over the years and this feels similar. That being said, searches such as these "can" take on a life of their own. Another "rabbit hole" not unlike this "wet shaving" thing!

These aren't great pictures. I took them more to document it and for reference use.
    This is obviously the front of the clock. This opens to allow winding and setting of the clock. I don't have a key for it at the moment. It didn't have one with it. That's one of the "to do" things with this piece.

IMG_20200116_055221236.jpg

This is a "door/portal" on the back of the clock. It opens to the "works" of the clock. There is, it seems, a "chiming" mechanism. IMG_20200116_055234908.jpg

11. brit

brit in a box

that is a beauty..and a keeper.i almost got into vintage clocks a few years ago as my friend collects them.it can get pricey really quickly if they need restoration or mint pieces.now i just admire from afar..complete the history and awesome..a key shouldn't be too hard to find.good luck .and thank you for posting pics..:)

Hembree likes this.
  12. S Barnhardt

@brit This is getting interesting!

Opened the door on the back intending to just have a cursory glance and take a picture for future reference. I'd taken a few of the exterior.

The bottom of the case has the remnants of a label that had to have said "Made in England.". But the works inside are stamped "Made in Paris" by a Samuel Marti Co. with a date 1900?

Could mean a hybrid clock, or a clock repair. The rabbit hole gets deeper!

IMG_20200117_173417.jpg IMG_20200117_173643.jpg IMG_20200117_173957.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  13. brit

brit in a box

very cool.. images (30).jpg .this came off google search.seems samuel marti is a high end clock maker from the 1800s up.you should see the clocks they made,for tiffany ans so on..

14. S Barnhardt

Thank you very much!

Working on a side by side picture.

Are you old enough to have seen Arte Johnson's portrayal on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" where he played a WW II German soldier character whose line was always "Interesting! Very Interesting!" This is getting that way.

Back to searching!

15. brit

brit in a box

seems these clocks aren't mass produced..higher end pieces..very cool..

16. S Barnhardt

@brit Here's the side by side. They're similar, but that could be a coincidence.

comparison.jpg

17. brit

brit in a box

yes sir,they are made by the same maker..a catalogue needs to be found .are there any patent #on the clock works.
    this may help or similar type patent sites.
    https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Main_Page

S Barnhardt and Hembree like this.
  18. S Barnhardt

There are numbers in a couple of places on the works, but until I can find a reference on Samuel Marti's works, I don't know which numbers mean what! So....I need to see what I can find in that regard.

When do you think patents came into being? The US dates are one thing, but this thing appears to have been made, using an English case, in either England or France with French works. Not an unknown thing for works and cases from two different sources to be combined. Now the trick becomes to find out which one did "the making."

:lam: Onward! :kngt:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  19. S Barnhardt

@brit Look at this from different angles and see what it looks like to you, please?

maker mark.jpg

It's on the bottom of the case. I've found out something that may mean something and may not, but I don't want to "say it" right now until you look at this and see what your opinion is. It could "possibly" help explain why there are "works" from France in a "case" from England.

I found this on a reference website in, I think Germany. This "is" the mark on the works, or at least as best I can tell with the springs, etc in the way. If so, that pins down that part of it.

EDIT: Just looked at this "blown up" and it's not exactly the same one, but similar. ??

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  20. brit

brit in a box