The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very cool. Keep us updated on how you do this.

2. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I will. Will do a restro thread when I get going. Hard to fine how to info for this material. Looking at 19th century writings

Edison Carter and DaltonGang like this.
  3. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I got a vintage sheffield frameback off ebay for around £6, usual marks etc but I enjoy getting them into a good shaving condition, well...this one took a lot of work to get shave ready, grinding with a dremel, garage for a good buffering and finally a polish, looked a lot better but far from perfect.
    The honing seemed to take forever, but I got there, finishing on a 12k shapton and a thuri under running water ( very light trickle) it got the full monty on the pastes too, dia spray on felt, crox on felt, white paste on linen/silk strop and 100 on a shell strop, a bit overkill coz it was ready after the thuri but I like to push it a wee bit, it is now incredibly sharp.

Ps.
    Just need the scales cleaned and back on.

Edison Carter, TestDepth and Keithmax like this.
  4. DaltonGang

Pics, of it doesnt exist. That's the saying around here.

Edison Carter and Karl G like this.
  5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I was watching Steve’s Tuckmar but didn’t act... glad he picked it up, but I obviously needed a consolation “14” to raise my spirits.

Enter J.A. Henckels to help me :).
    FF2B83EF-155E-4F0E-BEB6-294C419E11EB.jpeg
    15/16”, scales in great condition, and it has that beautiful grind.
    29421F7C-D70D-4086-80FB-18F2F0312548.jpeg
    Now I feel better.
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

oscar11, AGHisBBS, Steve56 and 5 others like this.
  6. TestDepth

Then this popped up for a crazy low BIN... 8/8 Wade & Butcher Magnum Bonum.
    CC3CA817-0F49-4041-8ABA-7C706695F02B.jpeg
    Love the shape on this one & the design is identifiable, but I have been careful cleaning it up. One of the draws for me is how it sits in the scales when closed.
    F2A9A1BF-C2BE-4DDF-88D3-586D3B4DD2BC.jpeg
    Beautiful mirror finish that has been impacted by some previous sanding. Plan is to just slowly do what I can while keeping the “Magnum Bonum”
    141CCCE9-905F-4AC5-B9D1-DA5C2D96B6F1.jpeg
    Wedge/near wedge grind so this has substantial weight.
    Happy hunting.
    Tom
    Watching Barrett-Jackson, so there could be more expensive hobbies, right?!??? :)

AGHisBBS, Steve56, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  7. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Just got this black diamond 4/8" razor this past week. Saturday was the first shave with it. For lining the beard this razor was nice. It was easier to see the line on my neck. The hone on the razor was great. I received it shave ready and it truly was. All I did was wipe off the oil and soaked it in rubbing alcohol for about 5 minutes then stopped it and shaved. I have another black diamond cutlery razor and love it. This one was just as good. I also love how light the razor is. I know its partially the size but in my hands it feels just a bit lighter than the other black diamond razor that is a 6/8" this razor will definitely be put into rotation.

20200118_214802_compress71.jpg 20200118_214808_compress76.jpg 20200118_214750_compress64.jpg

RezDog, brit, AGHisBBS and 7 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Nice looking razor. I have one, and it too shaves well.
    I hope you didn't get alcohol on those scales. Alcohol and celluloid don't do well together.

9. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Nope. I just get the alcohol on the edge. Then for the rest of the blade I put alcohol on a cotton ball and wipe the rest of the blade.

10. Robert1955

Just acquired a Puma 88 5/8th, should have it in a week or so, nearly all of my razors are 4 or 5/8th...I need to get a big chopper to try out...I have around 30 now and the biggest is 6/8th, time to sell some I think :(

Karl G, Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  11. DaltonGang

PICS???

Karl G likes this.
  12. TestDepth

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :)

Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  13. Robert1955

Ebay pics

Screenshot_20200123-012728_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20200123-012715_eBay.jpg

Attached Files:

Karl G, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

15. Robert1955

Next biggy...can anyone tell me how to date a 88, it would be easier to write down in brail the names and addresses of everyone involved in the manufacture of the first Ford model T

Keithmax, Karl G and Edison Carter like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Read what this seller has to say about the 88 he is selling. He says it was made in 1994, but it looks different than yours.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pu...With-Silver-Etch-Puma-Mint-Case-/382552131549

17. TestDepth

So I was looking for something to modify and this W&B with a decent size crack at the heel got on the radar... (seller’s pics)
    6B731475-F801-47FC-85C8-2C71E2E67A0D.jpeg
    Played a little with a Sharpie...
    FAFCDD0F-8AFA-4605-A9DD-EEE3162808D0.jpeg
    Should be fun :).
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

Keithmax, M14Shooter, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  18. Robert1955

19. DaltonGang

I couldnt find much either, other than I believe the Puma Razors were made up to 1994.

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That’s a really nice one Tom.