The Daily Double.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GAW9576, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Rhodium replate NEW SC, just arrived new Golddachs SR on its factory edge test, reknotted vintage Reynard boar brush, a little cream, and a little croap made a very enjoyable late afternoon shave.

4C4D5D99-5B37-4DCE-8E8D-59F55331B1F4.jpeg

2. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I had to make up for not shaving yesterday so I went with three razors today. The wonderful and trusty Gem Jr. Bar and the first shaves with recently acquired Gem Featherweight and Pushbutton. All three razors shared a first use Gem SS. I lathered up with my boar brush and Mer Shavings mysore sandalwood with a dab of lubriderm for a tuch more moisture in this dry weather. The Featherweight handled the first pass on modt the shave then the Jr. Bar took over. The pushbutton handle leanght helped handle things on the back of my neck.

[​IMG]

3. GAW9576

Today's daily double.
    Hoshitombo first pass
    Gem Jr. Parade second pass and very light cleanup.
    Mer Shavings fougere orange. I love this soap.
    Custom Boar brush.

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  4. GAW9576

I had a fantastic shave today. Started things off with the Ever-ready 1914 aka little lather catcher. Then did a little cleanup and the back of the neck with 1900 Star lather catcher. The razors shared a 4th use Gem SS. Mer Shavings mysore sandalwood on my new brush with a 28mm SHD Maggard knot for lather. WOW first impressions of this knot are very good. And of course I love Mer Shaving soaps.

[​IMG]

Ron R and brit like this.
  5. GAW9576

6. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

Happy New Year!!! I rang in the new year with a daily-double….these are not my oldest safety razors, but both are iconic (to me, at least) in their respective genres (DE & SE). Both of them came into the world 115 years ago.

The Gillette Double Ring had a brand new Nacet blade, and the Gem Zinn Automatic had a relatively new (3 or so shaves) Schick Proline B-20. The soap was my very first, Cella, and it was lathered with a relatively new badger brush. The finish was a some Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel and some Krampert's Bay Rum. The shave was well worthy of a new year. The DR got the first pass, the Zinn took the second (and some light touch-up)....the result was DFS+!

Sorry for the multiple pics -- it's just the way the shoot turned out this morning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. GAW9576

No need to apologize for multiple pictures. Especially when they are of such drool worthy razors. I have to say I'm particularly smitten by that Zinn. That looks like a fantastic shave my friend.

brit and Flintstone65 like this.
  8. GAW9576

Had a great Daily Double today.
    First and second pass Gem Damaskeene
    Light cleanup and back of neck Henckels Rapide
    Both razors shared a new Gem SS blade.
    Cella lathered a bit wet on my two band SHD badger provided excellent cushion and glide.

[​IMG]

Chuck Naill, brit and Flintstone65 like this.
  9. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

Thank you, and it really was a great shave!

GAW9576 and brit like this.
  10. GAW9576

I picked up some Persona carpet cutter blades to try in the Durham Duplex today. The shave was quite comfortable. These razors are definitely interesting and I look forward to using them more. I did have my Gem curved top squat head loaded with a second use Gem SS. I used it for backup just in case and to handle a few touch ups in spots where the Durham is a little to big to get conveniently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. GAW9576

I had an Excellent shave with two wonderful razors by ASR sharing a 4th use Gem SS. The Gem Featherweight Deluxe and the Ever-Ready Little lather catcher. These are both great razors but at nearly opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of shave characteristics. The Gem handled touching up the upper beard lines and the Ever-Ready handled the neck below the beard. Don't worry I stopped at the collar bone. Pre-shave was handled buy a wash with Palmolive stick and a light rinse leaving some of the soap. Then I whipped up a nice wet lather of Tabac on my SHD two band badger. A little witch hazel splash rounded things out.

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  12. GAW9576

It's been a long time since I shaved my head.

I used 4 razors total today between shaving my head and my regular shave. I started things off with a 5th use Gem SS blade but switched it out for a new one about half way through. The Gem bumpless MMOC, Gem CP, TNNSER 3D and Henckels Rapide all plaid a part in a great shave. Mer Shavings Mysore Sandalwood on SHD two band badger provided a great lather with plenty to spare.

[​IMG]

Here I am about half way through the first pass with the Henckels Rapide.

[​IMG]

I didn't bother to trim my hair before the shave. I can say that the Clog-proof isn't quite clog-proof. But the Rapid handled things surprisingly well although i did have to rinse frequently it rinsed out very easily.

The other three razors handled the rest of the shave pretty equally. And here is the end result. A very close comfortable shave. Except of course for my beard witch I don't plan on ever shaving.

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  13. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Oh my!!!!!:D:signs021::signs081::bounce017::happy088::happy069:

GAW9576 likes this.
  14. GAW9576

[​IMG]

Moose likes this.
  15. GAW9576

I had a very enjoyable shave with two razors from J.A. Henckels today. Sterlings Almost Heaven on SHD two band badger provided great lather.

[​IMG]

Ron R and brit like this.
  16. GAW9576

I finally tried out the adapter screw a friend sent me. I like longer handles and the one that came with the Ever-ready 1914 is a reasonable length but it was fun to try something a little longer. The shave was great from the 1914 and the Shick Eversharp. And the lather was wonderful from the SHD two band badger and Mer Shavings fougere orange donkey's milk soap.

[​IMG]

Chuck Naill and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

the 1914 looks fantastic with that handle..

GAW9576 likes this.
  18. GAW9576

Thanks. I love the ABC Scroll handle but mostly use SE razors right now so it was a fun way to get it into thee rotation.

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

:).looks classy..

GAW9576 likes this.
  20. GAW9576

I had an excellent shave today with my two newly made handles. One sporting a Gillette thin cap old type with. 3rd use Nacet blade and the other sporting a Gem Jr. Bar and a 5th use Gem SS PTFE. Tabac with a little lubriderm for added moisture whipped up beautifully on SHD two band badger. Finished things off with a splash of which hazel. The results are a very smooth irritation free shave.

[​IMG]

brit likes this.