New member to TSD; honing/shaving with SRs since 2012

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by speedster, Jan 19, 2020.

1. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Hello guys! I joined TSD recently to slake my thirst for SR forum topics. I've been a member over at SRP and B&B since 2012 when I first discovered the sport via a knife maker who delved into razors, Phillip Dobson.

Hooked from day 1 like many beginners, I went the route of DOVO (6/8 Flowing) and then started buying a few customs before I even knew which way was up. Of course, the Lewis was a no-brainer and my only regret there was not buying another before his early retirement. Sadly, both Livi razors were disappointing for QC reasons.

Also, early on, I realized razor honing was a skill I really desired to learn asap. Honing seemed fun and also minimized any issues created by shipping valuable razors across the country with over-zealous monkeys handling them.

Since I live in Spokane, WA, I fortunately found a well-respected hone-meister in Glen Mercurio (@gssixgun) only 90 miles away in northern Idaho. I reached out to Glen asking if he wouldn't mind giving a total beginner some one-on-one honing instruction. What a generous fellow, he immediately invited me to come on up to his north woods cabin instead of waiting for the next SRP meet-up. What he purposely neglected to tell me (until my arrival) was that he wanted to shoot the whole thing for a YouTube video.

HOLY CRAP!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? <gulp!> Pressure was on, and I dared not tell him 'no.' Even nicely.

What resulted from our adventure turned out to be his most popular honing video as I proceeded to make all the beginner mistakes not having practiced one iota beforehand. Plus, I had him in front of me over lunch to ask all sorts of questions about various countries of blade manufacture and their steel qualities. What an incredible brain dump from a supremely knowledgeable fellow! Nerve-wracking as hell but so worth it!

Our visits and his mentoring saved me from HAD since I avoided purchasing a full Shapton Pro set and went with Naniwa Super Stones instead. Only this past year did his magic spell wear off enough to where I found myself going headlong into the Japanese naturals. I blame myself there...and those fine stones!

Apologies for the length of this introduction, but hopefully you enjoyed the read. And a special shout-out to Glen @gssixgun for being such an incredible mentor and for helping me rein in my manic tendencies. ;)

Looking forward to getting to know some of you guys who I don't already know from the other forums. Cheers, gentlemen!

/Mark

2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Tennessee..

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

speedster likes this.
  3. speedster

4. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Welcome Mark from the western side of the state! That video was very helpful for my own journey, so thank you for allowing that to be filmed.

I also had the pleasure of sitting across from Glen and working through a few razors... definitely puts things together.

I hope you enjoy your time here.
    Tom

speedster likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

speedster likes this.
  6. speedster

Glad I took one for the team, @TestDepth, and thanks for the welcome! Glen's generosity with his knowledge and time is incredible. I was so blessed.

Thanks as well for the welcome, @jimjo1031.

jimjo1031 and TestDepth like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Mark, welcome to The Shave Den!

speedster likes this.
  8. speedster

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

speedster likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome @speedster from here in western NY. Glad you decided to join us at TSD.

I'm not SR user, but only DE and SE. I enjoy restoring brushes though. Glad to have you here.

:eatdrink013:

speedster likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, glad to have another SR user here.

speedster likes this.
  12. speedster

Thanks for the welcome, @Enrico. DEs and SEs? You show more bravery than me, seriously. Imagining a shave with those guys scares me more than a little. I'm also an espresso enthusiast although lately it's AeroPress coffee for me. <sigh> :eatdrink013:

And thank-you, @DaltonGang, for another warm welcome. Looking forward to getting to know all you guys as I continue down this wonderful rabbit hole. :happy036:

DaltonGang likes this.
  13. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Hello Mark, I enjoyed reading your intro. Welcome to TSD!

speedster likes this.
  14. speedster

Thanks for the welcome, David, and I'm glad you enjoyed my fortunate intro story. :)

15. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

speedster likes this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Welcome from Seoul and glad to have another member of the Dark Side join us. I have seen your famous several times and it helped me get started with honing.

speedster likes this.
  17. speedster

The dark side's the best side, @Keithmax ! :) Thanks for the faraway welcome and that's awesome my nerves and profuse sweating in front of Glen paid off for you.

Since that time, the sideburns gave way to more shaving real estate, and my barber got replaced with an Oster trimmer. :rolleyes:

Keithmax likes this.
  18. speedster

Appreciate the welcome, @brit!

brit likes this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @speedster

I hope you enjoy it here. Learning to hone your own razor is a wonderful thing, learning from a genuine hone-meister like @gssixgun is a priveledge!! :happy088:

gssixgun and speedster like this.
  20. speedster

Thanks, @178-bplatoon, and you're most certainly correct -- an incredible privilege to be invited to his home and given personal instruction when we hadn't even met.

Priceless! I can't thank Glen enough, that's for sure. :)